Anyone experiencing memory issues?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ajua, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ajua

ajua Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 Black Edition
    I installed 10.7a (from 10.6) and now I'm having memory issues when Windows Explorer reads information from MKV files. DivX MKV Preview handles the thumbnailing. With 10.6 I had no issues at all.

The problem occurs when you select a file and the Windows Explorer read the info. After 30-seconds or 1 minute, the system RAM goes the roof and the disk activity peaks for about 5 min...

After that, all goes back to normal but it is annoying. Could it be the drivers? I haven't changed codecs, just the new drivers.

2. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    10.7b (OpenCL 1.1 ) here, no such issues detected.

3. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Did you install any new video encoding / decoding software? Or a new viewer like VLC? Try reinstalling DivX MKV Preview,it sounds like something's messed up with your codec preferences.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Not sure what OS you have but if you can:
    -type View reliability history at Start's search box
    See what clues are there that may promote the problem

Also, type WEI and select windows experience indexing. Goto Advance Tools and see if there any performance issues. If so follow the instructions on how to fix it (or post them here if you are not sure).

5. AZkiller7

AZkiller7 Guest

GPU:
    RX 6600XT
    All i know is that 10.7 based drivers have a severe memory leak when playing Borderlands

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    in the start menu, search for power options, and open it.

next to the currently selected profile (default is balanced), click change plan settings. click change advanced power settings.

in the hard disk one, there is a thing that says turn hard disk off after...

change the value to zero. this will set it to never turn your hard disk off.

windows 7 and vista normally turn your hard disk off when youre not using it to reduce power usage. this saves you like... 5w per hard drive, so i dont consider it a useful power saving.

if you try to access the drive and its files have been indexed, then you can see all the files rather quickly. but the moment you try to access anything not pre-indexed or access a file on the drive, you have to wait for the drive to spin up before you can access the file.

7. rjc862003

rjc862003 Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5750@855/1337
    known issue with windows thumbnail cache
    you need to clear the cache and let it rebuild it

8. ajua

ajua Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 Black Edition
    - I didn't changed codecs or players. To be sure, I installed a newer version of Win7codecs and my own MSI installer for DivX MKV Preview (which I made months ago and I have tested on several computers).

- There aren't any performance issues being reported by Windows other than the usual suggestion to improve start up times by disabling some startup entries. In my case, it suggest Kaspersky Internet Security (strange) and J. River Media Center.

- The only change I made to my desktop computer was the driver upgrade.

I'm going to rebuild my thumbnail cache tonight to see if it solves it, but I'm not sure because the memory problem occurs even when selecting newly created MKV files for the first time.

Thanks you guys for the replies.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Made me laugh when I read last month's 10.7 release notes which boasted about performance improvements for Borderlands and then further on mentioned that the game may freeze up!!!

I mean, what the hell ATI, you either fix something properly and then brag about it, just mention it has issues or don't mention it at all!!! :3eyes:

10. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    ...not since college.:cheers:

11. ajua

ajua Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 Black Edition
    I remember those days :D

I'm still looking into my problem but haven't found a cause yey.