Anyone else running an ATI card on an Nforce mobo?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xgpu, Jun 9, 2006.

1. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    As you can tell by my mainboard chipset I was an Nvidia fan, six consecutive years of nothing but Nvidia(3dfx voodoo in the days before lol) but this time around I found a good time to jump ship as, ATI has been impressing me with their technology as of late(putting past me the retarded benchmarks, which really don't say everything about a card). Anyway, I ordered the ATI 1800xt 512mb for the time being, assuming that sometime soon here the direct x 10 cards will be rolling around which will likely support shader model 4.0. You can tell when that time nears, especially since Nvidia released a model such as the "7950", in the past the "5950" was released only a few months before the 6 series rolled around sporting the new shader model. So I figured I'd jump ship now and give ATI a go for a few months until their next series of cards roll around. Anyway, my concern is functionality of an 1800xt video card on an Nforce 4 chipset. Is this a big no,no? or will it function just the same as on any other motherboard? anyone else running a similar setup?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Shouldn't have any problems. I'm about to do the same thing myself. :)

3. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    I am.. Just dont get the asus.. Its had weird problems not video card related. Mine were ethernet related and with the built in firewall. Every other nforce mobo should work fine. But lotta people had problems with the asus one I have(including me). No problems now since i turned off all nvidia software and installed a pci ethernet card to bypass this boards. So after taht I had problems for about a week, but now its run flawlessly for the last 5 months.

4. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I have an X1900XT on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and it has some weird blinking problem: At Windows loading screen, it blinks 2x and at desktop it blinks 3x. Not only that, but my monitor is not being detected dorrectly. This is all BTW on a fresh install of Windows after a reformat...

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    That series of 'blinks' is SmartGART analysing your system every startup...nothing to worry about. ESPECIALLY considering the superior functionality of ATI's cards. (IMO!)
    ANY ATI PCI-E card will run on ANY PCI-E mobo. (it just happens to run a tad better (?) on ATI chipset mobos)

Psychlone

6. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Not really tbh.

7. sat_owl

sat_owl New Member

GPU:
    Radeon X1600 Pro 256 MB
    Yeaaaah...
    Theres a problem that happens if you used ATI x1000 series and ASUS motherboards that contains nForce 4. I'm using Asus A8N5X and you know what? It sucks! I cant play any 3d Games at all! Even Insaniquarium!
    It only appears at nForce 4 mobo but appearently it also happens only at ASUS mobo, including the SLI board series. Dunno the problem is, i hav tried dsable almost each component i dot used..such as ethernt and it still doesnt. It only works if you used ATiTool to downlclock the speed. Now I'm only playing at about 60% of my Radeon X1600 Pro ability.
    The problem is at the mobo, not the video card. But if you used an x100 series, as long as the PEG Link options in the ASUS bios is disabled, it would turn out okay.
    Btw...ASUS told me that if you used the Radeon X1000 series cards by ASUS you wont have any problem....Very slicky huh? You cant used Radeon made by other manufacturer for an ASUS board...
    Should this be at a mobo forum?

8. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    cool thanks a lot guys, over all it sounds I should stay away from the Asus lol my nforce 4 chipset also has wierd firewall/ethernet issues as well. It's going to be awkward seeing drivers installed from both manufactureres on my PC ha.

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I have ALWAYS used ASUS motherboards, and never had a problem running ATI cards in them...but, considering my new mobo is an ASUS A8R32-MVP (with the ATI Xpress3200 chipset - I got away from that nForce stuff a while ago!) I can't argue that X1000 series cards won't work on nForce boards.
    If that truly is the case, then it should be up to the graphics card makers to be compliant with the hardware that it's going in to...not necessarily the other way around, (meaning you SHOULD be able to put ANY PCI-E card into ANY PCI-E motherboard and have it work flawlessly!)
    Just my opinion.

Psychlone

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Zero problems here. I couldn't be happier.

11. baker97

baker97 Member

GPU:
    X800GTO Fireblade 256mb @ 500/1200
    same here

12. iseedeadpeople

iseedeadpeople Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga 8800 Ultra OC
    no problem here whatsoever I havent pushed it hard either...so I guess its a great board!!! *knock on wood**
    I ran it at 670/1600 v 1.420 max temp is around 70 full load... idle 40-42

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  13. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Asus A8N5X and powercolor X1600XT with absolutely no problems whatsoever fullstop no returns

14. Orphaea

Orphaea New Member

GPU:
    Radeon x1300 512
    I have the same problem, except it's a GeCube X1300 and a Gigabyte nForce4... weird stuff.

15. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    In response to what I posted before about the blinking problem, I got it fixed. :) It turned out to be that Crap Control Center not being able to correctly detect my monitor, so I just manually told it my monitors information, and no more blinking for me :)

16. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    No problems

EPoX 8NPA SLi (NForce4SLi)
    GeCube X1900XTX
    AMD64 3700+ (S754)

Runs like a dream... HL2 Episode1 at 1600x1200 4AA 16AF HDR... lowest 40 something FPS

17. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    DFI Nf4 Ultra-D with x1800xt pe running absolutely no problems at all.

This is a myth that I've heard all too often. A simple google would have answered your question as people have asked this 100's of times!

So dont worry, it should work just fine.