1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else going to skip the Geforce 9 series?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Fallen, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Blacklash

Blacklash Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 470 4Gb
    ATi? I tried the X2. Here's some from the new Xbit review-

"The new card won six out of the nineteen tests, at least at high resolutions...

On the other hand, it was either equal to or slower than the single-chip ATI Radeon HD 3870 in seven out of the nineteen tests..."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-radeon-hd3870-x2_19.html#sect0

Just like I've been saying from my experience with the X2; inconsistent, unpredictable and not a new champ.

If the 9800s can beat a GTX @ 660|2040 1600 well I'll look at them, otherwise I'll pass.

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    still going to stick with my good ole 6 series.

3. easy2007

easy2007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    I'm waiting for the 4k series from ATi probably pick up a 4870 should destroy my current card.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    How so? There were huge differences in performance between them, notably the 5 to 6 series where the 6600gt spanked the 5800 Ultra so bad it was embarrassing. Less so the 6 to 7 series, but again the midrange 7600gt nipped the 6800 Ultra (albeit slightly). The 8 series seemed to have leveled off, its midrange, 8600gts couldnt touch a 7900GTX, although its top models were far more advanced than the preceding series.

5. willem-50

willem-50 Active Member

GPU:
    asus 8800GTS 512MB
    Nvidia did not even fix the stutter problem for 8800 users using XP.
    This problem is running for more than a year.

I buying a 9 series ? .... off !:biggun:

I,m going for ati, maybe less speed but running smoothly, also older games on XP !

signed: A very disapointed customer off nvidia !:thumbdown

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    There is no stutter with 8 series.

alanm

The Architecture of 5 6 7 are all the same. the 8 series Is the one that changed .....They are not going to change there design if it works....

7. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB

Hmm... Actually, I own an ASUS GeForce FX-5500 and it performs decently for the price.

I can play F.E.A.R. @ 1280X1024 with low-medium settings and get 40+ FPS.

I know that it's not hardly one of the best cards there is, or of its time. But, for $40, it was worth it!

Also, I've overclocked it to 310 Core, 500 Memory. And it's 256MB. :pc1:

Just to say.... :nerd:

8. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX

There is no stutter with 8 series.

There is with mine.

However i think in general the cards are probably ok, but whatever it is with us guys with stuttering 8800s it deffinateley exists.

If i knew what it was i could elliminate it.

My 8800gtx stutters, swap back for my x1800xt and no stutter.(lower frame rates of course).

So its got to be an issue or compatibility problem with 8800s on certain setups that do not affect the ati chips.

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    What game does it stutter with?
    what drivers do u use??

I know of personally 14 8800s systems that dont stutter with games. (because i built them )

10. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    I bet it stutters in Crysis. ;)

Probably Stalker and Flight Simulator too. ;)

11. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Not true because the 6 and 7 was a difference level. 7 series was how the 6 series will turn up but 6 series was rush. 7 series has better IQ and AF too when the 8 series has DX 10 and better IQ and its faster in DX 9 games. 9 series will be the same but with DX 10.1 and a over clock gpu and that about it.

12. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    6 and 7 are the same just lower Nm.
    I believe even 5 4 3 2 are the same aswell

8 is really the only different Architecture.

13. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680

That's all very sweet right there, how much is it going to cost, twice as much as the ultra ?

14. Catroqui

Catroqui Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti/GTX 980
    Do you guys saw the processor this guy(willem) is using?A pentium d 2.66;if it's correct in his specs off course.There's no doubt his system will stutter like hell.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  15. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    G8x was the only NVIDIA design made "from the ground up" without using any previous design as a reference since the NV10. GeForce 2, 3, 4, FX were all architectures with 4 pixel pipes, high T&L output and lots of register combiner power. Hence they could all be called derivatives of the same architecture though it is well known that the FX series utilized a VLIW design for the shader pipe. GeForce 6 and 7 also were based on reference architectures from NV3x, they built upon the AA modes from the NV3x and redesigned the shader pipeline. So, one could say they were the same generation, but definitely not the "same architecture". :)

As far as GeForce 9 is concerned, it looks decent enough and I think there was a little mess in the market due to which the situation is as it seems with the 9 series. In any case, the 9 series should not offer anything overly significant for 8 series owners (though performance gains might be a good thing, SLI owners probably won't need to worry about anything).

16. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    AcceleratorX

Thats what i was trying to explain.

the 8 series is the only Step forward Nvidia Has Made.

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Point is this.... Until ATI begins to put out some killer cards to compete with Nvidia, Nvidia has no real reason to step it up.

They control the market now & until ATI steps it up, nvidia will soak up the market with less then stellar GPU's

Its the nature of the beast...... Competition pushes technology......

18. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Doesn't sound like much to get excited over.

I just bought an 8800GTS 512 so I doubt I'll ever see a 9800.

19. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 260GTX 216, 700/2300
    Just doesn't sound like it's worth the money. The 8 series was a great leap for Nvidia, but the 9 is just a small step. I will stick I think with my GT for now.

20. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    I completely disagree!

The biggest jump for Nvidia was from 6 series to 7 or maybe 5 to 6.

6800GT -> 7800GTX = huge gap
    FX5200 -> 6800GT = Big gap too.

7900GTX -> 8800GTX = Big difference in perfomance but not even close to being the biggest one. Just take a look in to VGA Charts 2007 from tomshardware.com... I know ,its not the most accurate source but you will get the idea.