Anyone else gave up on case airflow?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by sverek, Jan 15, 2019.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    And just leaves side panel of the case open?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not at all. I always tried to have positive air pressure in my case.

Halfmead likes this.
  4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Only have it open when i got new HW, after i'm bored looking at it i close the case.

toast likes this.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I went one step further lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

toast, allesclar, Undying and 3 others like this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm no stranger to open cases. I ran my old gaming system with the side panel off as I was using a custom water loop but was too cheap to get a proper case. My current gaming system is a closed case with proper ventilation but my workstation system uses the Thermaltake Core P3. I don't smoke or have pets so dust isn't a major issue although it does accumulate quite a bit over time (on the bright side, it's very easy to clean). Also, I'm currently running one of my old systems without any case at all - it's basically perched on a desk on an anti-static wrapper. I've thought about getting a case for it but never really got around to it.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I used to leave my cases open, back when I was changing parts constantly. These days, my builds are pretty much finalized by the time I get the system assembled, so they get closed up after a day or 2 max.

That has to be one of the ugliest cases I've ever seen....and the price is simply ridiculous....

8. That is seriously cool, mind my asking what is the noise like, if any?.... Total props! Sick! :)

Mufflore likes this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cheers, the idea was to hide the PC, its wires and make it super quiet.
    A nice side effect, the PC is easy to service.
    It was originally a dining table with extending leaves. The leaves were chopped in half to makes the sides and the legs chopped in 1/2 to make it a coffee table. Some mdf I had laying around made the inside base.

The gfx card (1080ti) has an Accelero Xtreme III cooler fitted which made it almost silent.
    Noise is very low but could be a little better without the extra dual 140mm fans drawing air up to the gfx card.
    I could attach the hoses directly to the gfx card fans instead, it will only make a couple C difference and wont affect my overclock.
    But it doesnt really bother me and is very convenient as it is for cleaning.

One of the bigger issues, the top surface became a sounding board for vibration from the satellite box.
    By itself it wouldnt be an issue but the vibration of hard drives goes in and out of phase making a slow on/off droning which is quite distracting.
    I put foam under the front of the sat box which sorted it.
    The hard drives are already sat on carpet but I have another very loud drive (one of WD newer HGST drives) that has to be mounted on a plastic sleeve as well to keep vibration down because damn that was noisy.
    I cant hear any vibration now :)

With the gfx card getting a direct cool air feed from under the table and the CPU being water cooled (rad under the table) I dont need to consider hot air exiting quickly because it wont be recycled.
    There is a 2cm air gap under the surface practically the whole way round the table, an easy enough escape route.

I love my PC case :D

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I always start with case, if case once have poor airflow then you can do everything possible and still end up with poor airflow

Good case with good airflow and good fans and you shouldn't be worried about poor airflow, my favourite cases are Enthoo Primo or Fractal Design Define R6 (there I would suggest replacing stock fabs for something like are Phanteks PH-F120MP or BeQuiet Silent Wings Wings 3 120mm or 140mm) , in Phanteks cases I don't replace fabs as stock fans are great fans

Case filters sometimes can cause restriction abd therefore you will need to run fans faster and therefore noise increases

Good fans with good case and you should be golden, removing PCI_E slot covers helps with air dissipation in most cases

Good air cooler is always better than any AIO on market due this I prefer these coolers than any AIO

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

sverek likes this.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Wouldn't the carpet increase temps and produce a lot of lint?

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I dont use the carpet to conduct heat and it doesnt see much foot traffic ;)

I'm a little confused, why do you think those could be a problem?
    fyi, the motherboard is sitting on a metal mounting plate from an Antec 900 case. The motherboard has no contact with the carpet.
    None of the coolers touch the carpet.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I just mean as an insulator. I would think the carpet would hold more of the heat in the "case". I'm sure it works, it's just carpet wouldn't be my first choice to line the inside of my case.
    Probably works as a good sound dampener though.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Air movement and good heatsinks are key to good cooling, the case doesnt help at all because nothing is attached to it except mains earth.
    Air isnt in contact with a case for long enough to register an effect.
    Yep the carpet was chosen to deaden sound.

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    @Mufflore, just make sure your insurance company doesn't see it :D

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Safety can easily be argued.
    Everything has access to cooler air and more of it.
    The gfx card has doubled up fans and the CPU still functions with complete fan or complete pump failure unless under high load for 1/2 hour+, and then it will shut down. I've been through both (I forgot to plug the pump in and another time forgot put the fans on the rad, it worked fine for days before I realised. The rad lies flat with space underneath so there is natural air flow, and there is some natural water flow).
    Electrically it is sound.
    The wires cant accidentally be yanked, they are better protected.
    The PC cannot be accessed, cannot fall over, cannot be pulled over ...
    Its a superior solution.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    sverek likes this.