Anyone cycle?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DannyD, Dec 29, 2022.

1. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Got my first bike in decades a couple weeks back, just been sitting here (a mountain bike) since the cold weather arrived around the same time.
    It's given me time to look up the correct lubes and accessories, figuring out the gears and discovering the power of angle grinders.
    Helmet arrives tomorrow so i'll maybe take it out for first time, any tips or anything i should know?
    cheers!
    (not looking for meme vids but if you must.

Embra and Airbud like this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Nah, bicycle sadles are bad for the D.

3. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Are you feeling allright?

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I do cycle, bike's nothing worth mentioning. In my spare time in summers, to get around town. Not to go to work (too far, don't want to get there sweaty either).

Embra likes this.
  5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX3070
    These topics of yours are getting out of hand. This forum is becoming like 4chan in no time. please stop this , or I will ban you! Last warning.

Remember this is a private tech forum , I really think you are looking for a different kind of forum looking at your topic choices.

t0bimaru, Solfaur, SplashDown and 5 others like this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Mine is mostly for work, i don't live too far from mine and i'd like to try it on some trails we have here too.
    Not been on a bike for decades, my helmet arrived today so no excuses now, apart from the weather lol.
    Never been on a road with a bike, totally crapping it.:D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    btw my favourite video of Danny MacAskill (Mac Ass Kill, just saying) is this one:

Embra, Airbud and tunejunky like this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    i have too much vertigo to do crazy-ass things...but i do appreciate them

Airbud and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    I've been cycling to work for almost twenty years and I have a love for cycling so I'm basically a self-taught bike mechanic. Last year I joined a social group on FB that meet up in my town and head out at a leisurely pace to scenic places along canal paths and disused railway lines that are now gravel paths between towns. I cycle all year round by putting on tyres that have rows of studs made from tungsten carbide to keep me safe on icy patches. I'm a tall bloke so I have a low centre of gravity and need the added stability. The round thing on the left of the handlebars is a bluetooth speaker. On the right is a 120db air horn with the air reservoir in the top bike bottle holder. The bike will be eleven years old in June and the frame is the only original stock part.

Advice? Being terrified of vehicular traffic is totally normal for a new cyclist. Confidence will come with time. So keep at it. Don't give up. Most drivers are more scared of hitting you than you hitting them. Cyclists don't really have a voice so that's why I have the air horn. It can be tapped to give a friendly toot or you can lay on that sucker to wake up a clueless driver.

To change the subject for a moment... The new pc I created from buying your components is absolutely brilliant. I only game at 1080p and even Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead Redemption 2 run at maximum settings with a constant and smooth 60fps. So Thank You, D. It's the best thing I bought last year, which half way through was not a good one, so you gave me something that improved my life and continues to do so. Cheers.

August 2022.jpg Summer 2022.jpg Winter 2012.jpg

Embra, Airbud, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Fantastic pogo!
    Ive been investing in security first, got couple good locks, one a diamond rated from halfords (just £50), and i've also changed my quick release sprockets to security key ones.(still to get the chair done).
    Got a good helmet and undercap so i've no excuses, just waiting on weather easing up a bit.
    Have a happy new years my friend!:D

Screenshot (141).png Screenshot (140).png

Airbud, fantaskarsef and rflair like this.

11. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I just bought me and my wife E-Bike's I got to go for a couple of rides just before snow hit so I'm stuck staring at them for now. I tried putting pictures up but I can't get it to show right.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    DannyD likes this.
  12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Haven't ridden in awhile, for me its either weighted workouts or cycling, last few years have been weights, cycling very rarely.
    One thing I use to love to do was go night riding thru the valley/river ways that run all over the city, paved and or hardpacked trails for bikes, you could do well over 100km without ever leaving the trail system, I would see deer, coyotes, fox and many other animals, almost got taken out by deer a few times as they move thru the system in the early hours of nightfall, turning the lighting system off I would be in complete darkness. Would even do this till about 5c by myself and -5c if riding with others, didn't want to risk mechanical failure below 0c by myself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    Airbud and DannyD like this.
  13. Yes I do! But only for fun. I love fast trails.
    cube_black_fox3.png

DannyD, SplashDown and tunejunky like this.
  14. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Yep, I usually hit the trails around Warsaw. We’re lucky, as there are two national parks just 15km away, you can lose yourself there riding for hours on end. As for tips, the best one is the one my mechanic gave me 15 years ago - Just ride.

DannyD and tunejunky like this.
  15. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Nice ride & expensive ... I got a cheaper model but it's still a blast.

DannyD likes this.

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Bike Capture.jpg Hey I figured out how to post picture ...lol. Anyhow heres mine.

DannyD likes this.
  17. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Untitled.png I've been looking at this 1, would be great for the trails and shes fast about 31 MPH and faster if you know how to get into the control but then you lose battery and distance but 30 is plenty fast enough. There are some out there that will do 50MPH but thats just nutz on a little bike with no weight to it and they cost 10,000 dollars for the 50MPH.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Airbud, DannyD and tunejunky like this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    very lucky also because it's lush and flat.
    there are many parks and features around me too but the only one flat is the trail around the (entire) Bay Area.
    because of commuting (endless # of tech co's, esp Google and Meta {facebook}) we see just about them all.
    as an old school mountain biker (using 1, 2nd, 3rd generation bikes) hill climbing was cardio, psychological, and emotional therapy and i dare say spiritual for many. and the pay-off was the downhill ;)

but now with e-bikes you can get that downhill thrill going uphill. which is obviously progress but something in my mind thinks of it as cheating. but that's another thrill for some.
    now as a certified old fart the e-bike is just my speed,

Attached Files:

Airbud, mackintosh and DannyD like this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    tHIS IS MY EBIKE, TEN THOUSAND AND 700 DOLLARS WORTH,
    sry for caps

[​IMG]]
    :D

In all seriousness tho, my non-imaginary bike is a CAT 3 i should be fine with that eh?

tunejunky, Airbud and SplashDown like this.
  20. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Mountain biking ultimately is about having fun, so whatever floats people's boats imo.

Personally, I'm in it to keep fit, so while I had thought about buying an e-MTB, I decided not to. While I'm not getting any younger and having an e-bike could possibly allow me to revist some trails and extend my reach, I feel it would lead me to taking the easy way out too often and thus I wouldn't push myself as much as I need to. I do miss being able to ride day after day though, not gonna lie. At 45 it's getting harder and harder to devour hundreds of kilometers a week like I used to a decade ago. Maybe I should buy a road bike.

tunejunky, DannyD and SplashDown like this.