Anybody else get brief stuttering when buildings fall in BF4?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mike2004, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Mike2004

Mike2004 Member

GPU:
    nVidia/Asus 780 GTX SLI
    Using 334.89 NVidia drivers. My game runs pretty good overall, getting mostly a constant 100 frames on high/ultra. Sometimes, on some maps, especially Hainan Resort, I get massive stuttering when parts of the building (hotel) falls. I also, about every 5 minutes, get a sudden drop in frames (down to 40 or 50) for a couple seconds but I've always considered it to be some levolution event/nearby massive firefight occurring on the map that I don't see. This doesn't bother me nearly as much as the building stutter.

I know the building stutter is a common issue. I seem to remember some drivers over the last 6 months of playing the stuttering wasn't so bad, if not almost obsolete. Perhaps its a patch issue... since the latest on March 31 the game definitely runs better but still get the falling building stutter and I'm guessing it's an optimization issue that EA needs to address (anyone remember the Temple of Lag in Battlefield Vietnam?).

My question is, does anybody play Hainan Resort with no stuttering and what drivers/hardware you using?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Mike2004

Mike2004 Member

GPU:
    nVidia/Asus 780 GTX SLI
    Found this in the recent 335.21 driver thread.

Frankster says

So I'll be trying the 332.21 drivers and see how they do. Thanks Frank!

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I am still on 331.82 and don't notice any stuttering, fps may go down tiny bit , haven't noticed anything lately .
    I used to notice this when it first came out with older drivers, there was a hit when buildings collapsed but also I run high settings not ultra settings so that maybe changes things .

4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    A drop in frames and the resulting stuttering for a couple seconds is normal when large physics events happen in the game.

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    On Hainan resort my FPS drops to 20 otherwise I run around 60-70. The previous drivers were better as it only dropped to 40fps.

In Shanghai my FPS drops to 50 when the building collapses so it's either the game or these drivers.

6. Cure_We_us

Cure_We_us Member

GPU:
    16GB
    I don't own a copy of Battlefield 4 myself, but I do want to share that throughout all my games and even chrome (GPU rendering is enabled) stutters with 334.89. I went back to 332.21 and everything is now back to normal.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 10GB
    So much this^

The stuttering you are seeing is due to the server choking.

The levolution/distruction events are sent out to all the players on the server. BF;BC2, BF3 and BF4 all do this to some extent if you look closely. You can see it on BF;BC2 and BF3 if you look for it.

A struggling server will show this more.

8. Mike2004

Mike2004 Member

GPU:
    nVidia/Asus 780 GTX SLI
    I rolled back to the 332.21 drivers, game does run a bit smoother for me, the massive frame drops every 3 - 5 minutes don't occur nearly as often as before, but the stutter when levolution stuff happens is still there, obviously as EA thing by the sounds of it. Hopefully one day they fix it.

Thanks everyone for the posts.

Mike

9. Aztek87

Aztek87 Active Member

GPU:
    NV Geforce GTX 780M 4GB
    That stuttering is server lag and there is nothing you can do about it to fix it, I think EA released a statement a couple days ago that they will be upgrading their servers to fix this.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014