1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to set refresh rate for each game?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CPC_RedDawn, Oct 21, 2018.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Never knew why Nvidia hasn't ever enabled this feature in control panel.

Being able to set a refresh rate for each game, that doesn't support it in game would help for those games that people can't hit 144fps or above in. Rather than having to open the control panel and change the refresh rate manually for each game you want to use different refresh rates for. As using 144Hz and locking the fps to say 60fps and using vsync leaves little to be desired, creating stuttering or a "laggy feel".

Is there anything out there that allows for this? Nvidia Nspector doesn't seem to support this either....

I guess with freesync and gsync, I doubt we will ever see this in control panel for each game profile.

2. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I use quick display changer and regular bat files to change the resolution (with quickDC2 profiles), launch the game, and then restore previous resolution after the game closes. Typical Bat would look like this:

@Echo off
    start 74Hz
    Game.exe
    start 60Hz

Where 74Hz and 60Hz are direct access icons to profiles generated with QDC2.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP

hmmmm... might give this a try. thanks for the info.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This existed for the Windows XP and earlier drivers.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Another trick you can use is double vsync. You can only do this in inspector. If you set vsync to 1/2, at 144Hz you'll get 72Hz vsync. If you then use RTSS to limit the framerate to 0.01 below half your refresh rate (which you need to measure, it's usually never exactly 144Hz), you should be getting some good latency too.

6. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 1080
    Just install Afterburner and use the per game profiles with rivatuner statistics server that comes with it to limit frames for each game. Works wonders for me!

nvidiaprofileinspector has a global and per game basis FPS limiter which does the same thing but doesn't have as nice of a GUI.

Both negate the need for Vsync so no input lag!

I use Afterburner with RTSS to globally limit my games to 120 FPS as it is way more smooth on my 2k 144hz monitor as my 1080 can't push a solid 144fps in all games and I really can't tell a difference over 120 anyways, so I get smooth gaming in every game and zero input lag due to not needing vsync. I put on FAST sync in the nvcpl just in case though as a global setting which won't let the game display more than your monitor's refresh rate although lets the card put out as many frames as it wants so you get vsync without the input lag. Though I think this is redundant due to my 120FPS limit in RTSS.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Another vote for RTSS which I also use per-game profiles for to change not only the overlay colour, position and fonts for to suit the games but also to cap the framerate in some game that otherwise have poor framepacing, e.g. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey at 60 fps on a 165 Hz display (the game's own 60 fps FPS Limit is broken and caps at 61 fps; likewise the 30 fps caps at 31 fps)

8. PQED

PQED Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+
    I use Hotkey Resolution Changer to switch between refreshrates.
    I was looking for the same solution you are, but couldn't really find anything beyond doing it manually.