Any way to recover data from an HDD with a broken off SATA power pin?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Mechwarrior419, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080
    Hi everyone,

Question is pretty self explanatory. While working on my rig the other day I somehow managed to to snap off one of the power pins on the back of my 2TB HDD.

I'm not concerned about using the drive again but there are some files to me that are extremely important. And yes, I know I should have backed these up but like an idiot I did not.

So, is there any way to pull data from this drive. The pins where the actual sata cable plugs in are perfectly fine, however all of the pins that connect to the PSU are bent and one pin has been completely snapped off.

I have no solder experience or equipment. So that is out of the question. So guru's, is there anything I can do aside from sending the drive away to a professional data recovery center to safely extract the data I need?

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Attach a picture so we can see if something can be done about it without soldering.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The pins can be gently bent back into place. It's the broken one that concerns me. We need a pic or 2 in order to determine which pin broke, and how important that one is. If it's a GND pin, the port should have more than one, and you may be able to get away with using it once w/o it, as the other GND should suffice. If it's supplying power, then you need it.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    As far as I know, SATA power carries 3 voltages (3.3V, 5V, 12V), the current for each voltage being delivered over a set of 5 consecutive pins, with the longer pins in-between the sets being GND (which I suppose is a common ground in power supplies anyway). So it should be the case that no pin on its own is important, as other pins can take over.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You type faster than my edit. :) If it's a GND pin that broke off, he may be able to get away without it.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    in some cases the circuit board can be matched from hdd spare websites and replaced.

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I don't think that this is likely going to work. Even though physical disk and electronics might be same, there are certain data stored in disc bios related to specific disc calibration. Calibration data can differ even for discs in same batch so even if you might get disc working calibration will be off and it might get no data. It is possible to calibrate disc again, however its way more difficult then just solder new wire or whole sata connector on broken drive.
    I am not sure abiut 3.3V, if you use Molex to Sata adapter it contains only GND, +5 and +12V and dedicated sata power cable have to my knowledge same wiring.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    https://www.lifewire.com/sata-15-pin-power-connector-pinout-2624584

However, SSDs and HDDs do not use 3.3V so it doesn't matter that those pins do not carry a current.

9. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Thx for link.
    Looking at connector diagram from link OP can pretty much ignore single broken pin as they are connected by alternating group of 3 for each Voltage/GND. As long as rest of connector is fine and pins get contact he is good to go, maybe use bit of glue to secure it if that works (permanently glue Sata/Molex reduction to drive). Used same solution in past when plastic on connector broken but in my case pins were fine and I was able use drive just fine of 2 more years.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It not only works, its the common data retrieval technique used by recovery facilities.

https://www.donordrives.com/

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I love people who come here asking for help, then say why they cant use the suggestions.

To change the the pcb from one drive to the other 1 only needs to make sure the firm wear is matching...

12. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Nope that part was "simple" mechanical swap of heads. In case you replace electronics its more complicated and as I said before, it require drive specific calibration that is written in memory chip on disk board, If you watched follow up wide from Linus you would know that (starting at 5:18).

Not only.
    You need exactly same version and revision of disk electronic board, as well as move (soldering required) small memory chip containing factory disc calibration data from old to new board.

13. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    No need to debate about drive electronics, this is a simple solder job.
    Should be cheaper, and faster than a data recovery service.
    It should be fairly easy to solder an old 4-pin female Molex connector on to the pads on the PCB where the SATA connector was attached. That should be good enough to rescue your data.

14. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    There is guy who locks the disks then moves then to another drive housing( use a sandwich bag) to keep them clean.
    You tube is full of how to videos, its a cake walk