Any Success with Cat. 6.8 and X1600 Pro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by hoppergrass, Sep 11, 2006.

1. hoppergrass

hoppergrass New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB
    I just bought this card to replace my aging FX5900XT. Didn't want to dump a lot of cash in an AGP Card since my next board will be PCIe. Downloaded the latest Cat 6.8 and read there were Doom 3 and Quake 4 improvements. Only to find trouble with Quake 4. I get blue Screens and Lock Ups in Q4 (Doom 3 runs fines). I even patch the game and same thing. Also playing C&C Generals, it crashes to desktop, and it struggles to run FEAR in Medium Settings. All games were ran in Card Defaults. Am I the only one? Using the Cat 6.7 rid me of all my Probs!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  2. CharlesBronson

CharlesBronson New Member

If it's any consolation, I'm running an ATI 512mb X1600 on my laptop (2 Gigs DDR2 and a 1.7GHZ Pentium Centrino Duo) and it runs FEAR on a mixture of maximum and medium settings quite well. I disabled volumetric lighting and a couple of other glitzy features, but at 1024 x 768 with AA 2x I rarely have problems with it. Sounds like something's going wrong with your system. I also run anything on the Doom 3 engine at acceptable speeds (including Prey and Quake 4) so again, I'd say roll back to earlier CATs or make sure your old Nvidia drivers are completely wiped clean from your PC.

3. hoppergrass

hoppergrass New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB
    As far as old nVidia Drivers, I use Driver Cleaner Pro to rid any left over drivers (for same card or different card). I did roll back to the 6.7. I just like the idea of using the latest drivers and what they had to offer as quoted.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Give the 6.3 drivers a try. I have found them to be very stable on my X800gto AGP rig.

Newer drivers don't always give better performance. :)

5. hoppergrass

hoppergrass New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB
    Will Do, Estima8tor. Downloading Now

6. hoppergrass

hoppergrass New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB
    According to tweaktown.com, there were more increase for all the other ATI Cards with Cat. 6.8, but not the X1600XT. It ran better with the Cat. 6.7. So it'll be the 6.7's for me. Drivers from 6.6 to latest, offered better AA/AF performances (according to tweaktown.com). So that rules out the 6.3's. http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/938/5/page_5_benchmarks_doom_3/index.html

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    I using the 6.8 on my other computer for the X1600pro and there working fine with it no problems at all.

8. hoppergrass

hoppergrass New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB
    Thanx GenClaymore. You got me to digging and pocking and found out it was my Memory. Should have bought a lower latency memory. I'm running some Corsair Value Select RAM that at default was meant to run at 2.5-3-3-8 @ 2.5 Volts. I remember having trouble running it there when I first got the two 512 MB Sticks. And it doesn't like extra voltage either. I'm running an Epox nForce2 Board and my next Voltage Setting is 2.65v. But some how or another it all worked out at that Default Speed and Voltage. But when I removed my FX5900XT and replaced it with my X1600 Pro, the problems reappeared not thinking it was my memory since it ran fine with my previous card. Using the nForce2 Low Latency Formula, I switched my memory to 3.0-3-3-13 and shes stable now with the Cat 6.8's, plus my bandwidth is higher too!