Any solutions for Windows 10 + VIDEO_TDR crashes?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by buffer, Nov 7, 2015.

1. buffer

buffer New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC
    Hi folks.

I've had VIDEO_TDR crashes ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 about 2 months ago.

My system will either crash or BSOD with a VIDEO_TDR error randomly. Usually the computer freezes and screens go blank. I'm forced to hard reboot. On rare occasions with certain drivers it will BSOD (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE).

This can happen while just browsing the Web or anything else. It happens about once a day. Doing GPU intensive tasks speeds up the process considerably.

In the event viewer, there are repeated entries for the warning:
    "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Things I've tried:
    - Every possible driver I can find (currently using 358.87 which also crashes).
    - Clean driver installs (DDU, only installing the graphics driver, etc.)
    - PhysX settings
    - "Debug Mode" in NVIDIA control panel
    - Changing TDR values
    - Turning of TDR all together
    - Temps are fine
    - Memory is fine
    - Probably more things I can't remember right now

I have tried 2 different cards, a 560ti and a 960. Both work fine on Windows 8.1 (same hardware configuration), but when I swap hard drives and run Windows 10, they both have this TDR issue.

System Specs:
    - XFX nForce 680i motherboard
    - Intel Q6600
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC
    - 6GB ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 SSD 250gb (for OS)
    - 2 sata HDDs
    - Hauppauge HVR 2250 tv tuner

Has anyone found a solution to this? It seems like there are many many people with similar problems, I don't think this is an isolated issue. Is this an acknowledged issue by nvidia? A Windows 10 issue? Is it being worked on? Unplanned restarts tend not to be enjoyable.

2. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    1st disconnect ur internet & prevent it auto connect.

2nd use DDU, install latest driver.

TDR might appeared on laptop but for no more for desktop.

3. freezingguy

freezingguy New Member

GPU:
    2gb
    im having the exact same issue as the poster above. Im not getting these errors in windows 7.

I tried to send him a pm in the hopes that he would answer and possibly found a solution but it says i need to make 15 posts firsts. Can someone contact him?

4. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Same issue too, but I'm going to replace my GPU, just to see if mine is maybe fried. I always get a TDR, worst is Furmark where it TDR within 5 seconds of starting it. Temperature is just around 53°C of the GPU.

5. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Its definitely Nvidia drivers issue. I think it started happening since GTA5 driver v350.12 for Windows 7 64bit. I have another Windows 7 partition on the same PC running driver v347.09 and no problems at all. I would have suggested to you to go back to before 350.12 and try but not for Windows 10.
    I also saw a video on YouTube of someone who had a factory OC card and he managed to get rid of TDR error by slightly increasing the GPU core voltage, by editing his vbios and re-flashing it. That seem to have fixed it. You could test this first by running MSI Afterburner or ASUS GPU TweakII and reduce the clocks to stock (If your card is factory OC) or increase the core voltage one notch on your current clocks and see if it makes a difference. You will have to run the software every time you restart and keep it running in the background while testing. If it eliminates the problem then you can look into re-flashing your vbios to make the settings permanent.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I actually also tested that, including slightly raising the voltage, without any success. It's a factory overclocked card and it worked fine till the 6. of February. On that day the crashes started, only a little in the beginning. Nah, still having warranty and trying that way now before I tinker around more on my system.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Could be related to your motherboard. The driver support for nForce mobos is really poor and it could very well be the source of instability.

8. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Oh that is actually my old PC :D
    The "newer" one is a Gigabyte z87x-d3h with an Intel i5 CPU and 8 GB of memory. PSU is some bequiet 650W model (if I remember correctly).

9. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    I had major issues with TDR soon as i upgraded to build 1511 of windows 10.

I haven't had a TDR in 2-3weeks (touch wood)with the same overclock i was using 24/7 before the dreaded windows 10 1511 update.

I'm not sure if it will work for you.

But what i did is download GeForce Windows 10 Driver WHQL 353.30 22.6.2015

Did a 'clean install' via tick box then once installed and rebooted, proceeded to upgrade to GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 361.91 15.2.2016 (I normally tick a clean install every driver but this time it seemed a bit different when rolling back so far)

not had a single issue since, before I had a TDR every time i ALT tabbed out of FIFA.

10. Artefact

Artefact Banned

GPU:
    Thermi gts 450 83 degrees
    344.47 icafe best driver for fermi gtx 400,and 500...347.88 good for kepler,,,350.12 whql good for maxwell stable :eek3:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

11. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I replaced my card with a new GTX-970, TDR are now gone.

12. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Really? What card did you have before and what is your new card?
    Is it factory OC?
    Also which driver you are using?

13. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I was using a Gigabyte GV-N960G1 GAMING-2GD Windforce 3 and have it replaced now with a EVGA 04G-P4-2975-KR GTX 970. Both are factory overclocked.
    Now using the very latest driver from Nvidia.

14. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti FTW3 UG
    I honestly think this is a Windows 10 issue. I have tried all of the Redstone releases and I get tdrs with each one. I always roll back to 11082 and the tdrs stop regardless of which nvidia driver I use.

15. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    There clearly are also some TDR reasons because of the Nvidia drivers (see their release notes, there are some closed ones in previous releases and also some open ones), but in my case it was the card. Once it reached around 58°C the driver always crashed.

16. freezingguy

freezingguy New Member

GPU:
    2gb
    i don't think its an issue with the graphics card. I had mine rma'd and still got them in windows 10. Windows 7 runs fine.

17. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I guess there can be several reasons for this problem.

18. freezingguy

freezingguy New Member

GPU:
    2gb
    go on...

19. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Like: broken card, driver issues, bios/uefi compatability issues, power issues, ...

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    On all latest drivers for the last 9 months starting with 353.54 I've had maybe a couple of TDRs in Win10 and both of them happened in games on high load - which means that they were game code related most likely. So whatever the issue is - it's not the driver per se, it's a combination of different things, most likely there are several different reasons at play here.

I always wonder if those who have this issue installed Win10 as an upgrade or from scratch? Win10 upgrade is not a working environment in my opinion. Too many leftovers from the previous installation.