Any risk disable below Windows 11 services? what is the impact?

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by RyzenPower, Nov 29, 2021.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    tweaking this stuff for performance gains in time and age should have no effect on the system less you running potato with 2gb ram and 20+ year old hdd and 20+ year old cpu, except those cheap $200 laptops there all slow and terrible every little thing there helps. i also dont disable services looking for performance gains. i still do out habit from when it did help, and when i dont want a services running i know i dont use.

Programs one installs is another story they dont need to be running all the time to begin with i personal dont launch less i need them, most stuff like icue and LGS or what ever logitech calls it now. I programing said mouse and keyboard then uninstall the stuff or at very lest never launch it again

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Mineria likes this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    +1 on that. I use Sysinternals toolkit since ages, at least 20 years if not more. If this is a good sysadmin, he uses them, too.

"Period." :D

And one question: Do we talk about serious actions to shrink system ressource usage or are we talking about every goddamn way to squeeze even the most worthless ounce of performance out of one rig?

Depending on what you do those services are needed. Difficult to tell ...

But as @mbk1969 already mentioned, the safest way is to set services to manual start.

Maybe check task scheduler, as tasks tend to control / trigger the services tou want to disable. Then you can remove the not needed functions only and keep what you need.

Edit: PS: It is called "Autoruns". ;)

mbk1969 likes this.
  3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Winternals has been in the hands of MS for 15-16 years now, been using the suite since Windows 98.

386SX likes this.
  4. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    @Pictus
    Carefull with posting all your disabled stuff without explanations, some noob might just use it and wonder why some apps won't work. :D

Why do you check what is running with WinPrefetchView instead of just using Process Explorer? Does it show more?

Also wondering why you got O&O listed when W10Privacy is better besides that you also use ntlite to strip stuff out with?
    Tried O&O a few times, it sets some things wrong so it ended on my ignore list.
    regedit and gpedit.msc should also be mentioned, they are the best tools to double check and do even more with. :)

Defender Control will not work when Defender is hardened and has tamper protection forced btw., just in case anyone wonders.

My current favorite 3rth party tools :
    Dism++
    DriverStoreExplorer
    TreeSizeFree
    W10Privacy
    AutoRuns
    ProcessExplorer
    PowerToys
    TCPOptimizer
    NTLite
    ProcessLasso

Gave up on tools for the firewall, while WFC is good it craps itself with a big list of rules where protocols and ports are specified to details, went the full block everything that I don't allow route.
    So ended up uninstalling it and just adding a few outbound block rules that I consider essential manullay.
    Some work with NTLite fixes the rest anyway.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  6. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    True!
    Sorry, bad English in my text...
    Process Explorer is just what is running now and not what ran and is now not running anymore.

People may like one way or another...
    NTlite is good to create a VERY castrated Windows installation.
    For Windows 11 at the time I used only MSMG Toolkit because NTlite was not updated.
    O&O is more graphic and people may prefer...
    Interesting, maybe the current version is not bugged...
    Zillions of options...
    I remove Defender
    For me WFC works ok, but no big list.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Did play a bit around with NTlite, which should be up to date for Windows 11 at this point, the recommendations aren't quite accurate besides that it doesn't play to well with new Windows updates, so reverted to not using it at all.
    A combination of DISM++ and HiBit Uninstaller does a better job, at least that doesn't break anything on my setup.

Horus-Anhur likes this.