any reason to get PCI NIC card over onboard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TerroH8er, Mar 9, 2003.

1. TerroH8er

TerroH8er Guest

hey guys,
    I'm getting my Abit NF7-S Rev1.2 tomorrow, and in case you didnt know it has onboard LAN. is there any reason why I should go with a PCI card instead of using the onboard one? will it slow down my game of UT2k3? I want the best possible performance out of my system, I guess what i'm worried about is the motherboard is gonna be "overloaded" and use all of my CPU.

thanks,
    Terro

2. Zeroimage

Zeroimage Guest

Save some money and use the onboard LAN, you wont notice any performance change if you use a PCI card.

3. TerroH8er

TerroH8er Guest

thanks

4. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    Some good advice there Zeroimage and TerroH8er you also have the added bonus of keeping a PCI slot free due to the absence of said NIC.:)

5. Blue Raptor

Blue Raptor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Crucial 9700 Pro
    I have a chaintech 7NJS Zenith with on board 10/100 and I would say it is slightly better than my previous PCI 10/100 so I would stay on board plus drivers are all in one so it eased any diagnostics

6. TerroH8er

TerroH8er Guest

indeed, in fact, im not gonna have any PCI cards LOL

this is definately a plus cause i might stick this dyantron CPU HSF on my new radeon 9700 pro.

7. Zeroimage

Zeroimage Guest

Glad to help :D

8. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    less PCI cards? thats a good thing if you ask me. better airflow and less heat production which makes better conditions for overlocking

9. gobd

gobd Guest

There was an article a while ago that compared the cpu utilization and throughout of onboard NICs vs. PCI nics and the onboard had something like 1/4 the cpu utilization (which is great) and also slightly higher throughput, but the lower cpu utilization should be enough of a reason to keep the onboard one.

10. Reality|Bites

Reality|Bites Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI Asus/eVGA 8800Ultra/B
    But your cable/adsl modem might not like the onboard nic, i've heard of a few people that couldn't get it to work
    I have the rev1.1 of the NF7-S but i have never tried the onboard nic(yet) or the onboard sound for that matter lol, but it's nice to have as a back up

11. mpm

mpm Guest

I have a computer with onboard LAN and no problems using cable modem. I haven't heard of this.