Any reason not to enable "Prefer Max Performance" for individual game profiles? Thanks,

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Apr 5, 2022.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I understand why one wouldn't want to do this globally because then I imagine the GPU would be running at higher clocks on the desktop for little to no reason (so Optimal/the default makes sense to me there), but I can't think of a good reason not to switch the power profile to "Prefer Max Perf" when it comes to individual game profiles.

Now, I guess I could see leaving it at the default "Optimal" if the game isn't very demanding, but for demanding titles in particular seems to me like it might be a good idea to turn this on.

All of that said, Googling around the tests I could find seemed to indicate that at least most of the time there's no discernible difference between Prefer Max Perf or Optimal so perhaps the driver just automatically does this on its own or perhaps Optimal is smarter/works better than I had thought.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I have the same question lol.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    exactly, i always used optimal settings in my old gtx 1080 and works perfectly, reducing clock and tdp when don´t need all gpu power, but unfortunatelly the new rtx 3000 series don´t have this, on my rtx 3060ti have only normal and max performance mode, and in normal always use the maximum boost clock and maximum tdp, even on games needing only 40% of gpu power

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I find that Optimal Performance/Adaptive still causes the clock speed to vary too much in certain circumstances, usually when forcing AA. Leading to an occasional stutter. I usually set Prefer Max Performance on a lot of game's individually.
    But if it's a low power game at a lower resolution OP/Adaptive usually work fine.

BlindBison and Smough like this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    setting global to perfer max performance DOES NOT cause the system use to 3d clock in when idle... Rogue programs cause that to happen, which most are window service without an acutal profile or other such programs, said programs need to be set to optimal or adaptive. for idle clock to work on idle desktop. I have my system setup this was for very long time and i have zero issue with idle clock NOT being use when idle.

I rather have my game use max performance clock then adaptive or optimal. cause i dont want to say it dont need and have issues from scene to scene. and if you use vsync and or dont run some crazy high framerate or uncap fps that the card is only gona use power need to meet fps demand

Smough likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    very few games actually benefit from doing so, most of them have weird vsync behavior

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Huh that's interesting -- I wonder what kind of weird V-Sync behavior that could be, in-order triple buffering or something?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Double buffer, assassins creed at 1440p on my 1080 would lock to 30fps because of low power 3d clocks, vram clocks were dropped and load was 100% but gpu util was sub 30, couldn't get itself out of that condition.

this list is still valid
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/i...rmance-necessary-anymore.427489/#post-5687762

9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
  10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Nvidia dynamic clocking is still lethargic with Ampere. It is so bad, I can't even watch videos in mpv without stutter when not enforcing maximum performance. I wouldn't trust it one single bit when limiting fps via limiter or vsync.

BlindBison likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    somethings whack there, 2d clocks are plenty for video decoding and presentation.

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Ampere's dynamic clocking even screws up YT 4k 60fps video in Edge.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    BlindBison and Cave Waverider like this.
  14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It's very simple: I set my display to 60Hz (vsynctester reports 60.000xxHz) and watch the Big Buck Bunny 4k 60fps video.
    Nvidia driver optimal performance energy profile: intermittent stutter
    maximum performance (configured for some dummy application running so that it is actually enforced): exactly 0 stutter all the time.

It's even far worse in Firefox, but again 0 stutter with GPU maximum performance power profile. So very apparent culprit. No idea if it's worse with a 3060 vs. e.g. a 3080, but such things shouldn't happen regardless...

15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm. What happens if you set your desktop to 10bpc?

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    No idea, but since I'd expect the issue to be caused by some thresholds not being set optimally for ramping up and maintaining high clocks for very low 3D loads, I think it likely wouldn't change.
    I've already disabled MPO also for 8 bit since it's apparently broken, so it's not that (in this case). I'm not interested anymore in 10bpc for monitor output, entirely useless gimmick with ~all SDR content being 8 bit regardless.

17. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Been doing optimal global/performance per game for like 10 years now.Seems like a no brainer for games as some just don't boost properly.

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I wonder, is this not something that could be solved by disabling the game vsync (via ingame options or game files) and using NVCP vsync options? Anyway, I've been selectively setting prefer max performance for just over 5 years now. Isn't the most fun thing, especially after losing driver profiles, but I still do it.

Emulators seem to be some of the things that benefit most from doing this in my experience.

19. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    It's weird I didn't have any YT issues on my 3060 ti with FF or now on my 3080. Also, don't get any stutter related to changing clocks, only stutter I have now is initial shader cache on certain games after a new driver install but once done they are really smooth and since shader caching storage was fixed on the Nvidia driver I have a whole catalogue of DX11 titles working flawlessly.

Anyone know how to enlarge the DX12 cache? I chop and change a lot on different games depending on my mood and DX12 titles start to overwrite each other leading to initial shader cache again sometimes when I have been playing other DX12 games for a while.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've noticed that Prefer Max Performance helps with some games which have very low GPU load (I always use G-sync/V-sync) and the constant core clock change can introduce a lot of stutter. I remember The Last of Us being such a game where setting Max Performance cured most of the stutter. Other games which require minimal GPU performance like Shovel Knight have a constant, low core clock and thus don't need Max Performance.

BlindBison likes this.