Any reason my old Ti4200 performs better than a 9800pro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by justinope, Dec 31, 2006.

1. justinope

justinope Member

GPU:
    HD 6950 2GB
    My 6600GT died finally recently so I was looking at my options. I got my hands on a 9800pro from a friend. He had it laying around from upgrading, etc. I get this thing installed on a fresh XP install and everything and its seriously terrible. It runs just WoW and such but in games like HL1:Counter-Strike and such it will just DIE hard.

The reason the ti4200 comes to mind is that it was my first card and besides directx9 games it ran better than this thing can with older games. Any ideas on what to try or whatever? I would have never gone with ATI because my personal opinion is that they are completely worthless but this time I had no choice.

I've tried Omega Drivers and the newest ATI Catalysts. I also driver cleaned and everything of that sort.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    1gig Corsair XMS
    ATI Radeon 9800pro
    MSI K7N2 Nforce2 board (compatibility issues with nforce2?)

-j

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  2. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Not quite sure what the problem is, but there must be an issue somewhere. back in 2002, I had a computer running a GF4 Ti-4600 that I then upgraded to a R 9800 Pro. I noticed a huge difference in performance. The 9800 Pro should be running better or at the same level as your broken 6600GT. Maybe try updating the chipset drivers, i can't really see what the other possible problems could be. Either way, this gives the thread a bump, and maybe someone else might have an idea.

3. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    It could indeed be compatibility issues with the motherboard. I heard about this a while ago.Try searching around in google, to see if you find someone with the same problem.

4. baeK

baeK New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb
    Funny, I was just amazed at how well my 9800 pro had held up over the years. I thought it was getting seriously dated until I upgraded my CPU to a C2d and realized on a lot of the games I play the CPU was the bottleneck. The 9800 was as good or better(just quick visual checks) in the games i tried than a 7600GS.

5. gooface

gooface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780
    is it the 128-bit version? or the 256-bit? because the 128-bit one sucks

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/12/18/vga_charts_ii/page6.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/29/vga_charts_iii/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/index.html

Lots of charts here,with different outcomes.
    I don't know which driver version you are using,but it would be best if you stayed away from the 6.xx series unless some game requires it.
    The most common problem you will encounter is an old videocard which needs drivers.And why not the latest eh?
    But usually the latest drivers enable all sorts of things which an old card can't coop with or simply gets saturated with.I have this with an TI4400.
    Running 4.xx drivers from nvidia gives 3d01 marks of around 12000.
    Alas,today most games,even the older ones,require at least a 5.xx serie driver.And the newer the driver,the lower 3d01 score.To a point below 10K,which is a reduction in speed of 20%.
    In any case,this could explain why you feel the card is slower then your old TI4400.

7. SL2

SL2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    You've probably already done so but check that you are running the latest Nforce 2 drivers for your system:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10.html

Run DirectX Diagnostics (Run -> dxdiag) and double check that AGP Texture Acceleration is enabled. If it isn't then you have a conflict somewhere either driver level or BIOS settings that's preventing your card from being used properly by your system.

If this is the original Half-life game you're playing, try running it as OpenGL rather than Direct3D. In my experience it runs below par under Direct3D even on modern ATi hardware.

8. Willy Boy

Willy Boy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX 7800gtx x2 sli
    Alas "Gooface" The Ati 9800pro 128bit did anything but suck it was a great gr/crd the 256bit came along & was a slight improvement try any of the tests here on this link theres nothing in it ..........I was there !

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/page5.html#3dmark_2003

9. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Did you install XP clean? Because going from Nvidia to ATI (or the other way around) doesn't work. Both companies are very careful about leaving crap behind so the the other company's cards won't work.
    A 9800Pro should be within 10-15% of a 6600GT. Slower, but barely noticeable.

@baeK: It's no wonder a 9800Pro can stand up to a 7600GS, since the 7 series is the same architecture as the 6 series (maybe improved video playback, but othervise the same) and the 7600s have 128bit memory controllers.

10. justinope

justinope Member

GPU:
    HD 6950 2GB
    sorry for the long time between replies. I will try checking my dxdiag and see whats up there. as far as compatibility I was actually posting here for that kind of answer but I'll do some googling of my own :D

oh and btw I forgot to add in my first post that yes this is on a clean install of XP and I driver clean everytime I do new drivers. I have the updated 5.10 chipsets and the newest catalyst (currently running omega actually, maybe I should try an older catalyst?). It seems that the frame lag + locked up mouse and keyboard movements are still happening also.

Also, I am running all of these games I'm speaking of in OpenGL (except of course WoW). I really notice that this is a performance issue because its fine when I'm just spawning in CS with a say 5 person team. but when I start hitting the middle of a map or something its like mega drop. most of the time in 5v5's I'm fine but it restricts me from "pubbing" because of this bad lag. Also if you know about day of defeat you can imagine how unplayable this lag makes that game.

In any case, I've also tried disabled AGP 8x and Fast writes. that seemed to fix the mouse and keyboard cut-outs temporarily but they've now come back. this issue is just kinda roaR :(

11. justinope

justinope Member

GPU:
    HD 6950 2GB
    any ideas? I was gonna try the new drivers today but other than that I'm still stumped. any kind of performance drivers I should check out, etc? thanks again you guys :grin: