1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other audio codec while recording video?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by 2mg, Jun 25, 2018.

1. 2mg

2mg Member

GPU:
    The default one (raw/pcm/wav) kinda generates big files, can it be replaced like video codecs are?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Andy_K likes this.
  2. Putzo

Putzo Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I can only speculate why, but considering the pretty much dead VFW audio codec development scene, and other than coding the interface for ffmpeg and bundling a multi dozen megabyte ffmpeg avcodec library, PCM seems like the most universal and obvious choice. Plus, perhaps ffmpeg and its libs being GPL can be an issue? Not sure.

In anycase, transcoding only the audio stream in a video file is such a straighforward operation these days. On Windows, the CLI ffmpeg executable can take care of it really fast using pretty much minimal computer resources and time.

While writing this, I just did a transcode from AAC @ 320Kb to Opus @ 160Kb in a 30min 1280x720 60FPS video and it went at 1510fps or 25.2x faster than the video duration.

edit: various grammar and sintax fixes

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. 2mg

2mg Member

GPU:
    Well, man can wish I guess. Kinda the only thing stopping me for using it as dedicated recorder, since it's a really nice OSD and OC program...