Any of you guys repair computers for a living?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by T1tan, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    At the start of the year I did a refresher on my A+.......some of you might know this, but I was dumbfounded to learn that CompTia still do not have Vista in their curriculum!!

I mean wtf. Really. WTF? Can you believe it? CompTia have realy gone downhill it seems....

Maybe they should start teaching history instead because that's basically what they're doing now.....teaching 98/2K/XP.

W98 for ****s sake! And they're charging people like 5k for a prep course....:gape:

It seems CCN & MSC are way ahead....atm...

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I do it on the side, but just for some change. If its a buddy of mine, I always tell them to buy me lunch/dinner and then I go somewhere nice heh. If its someone I dont really know I tell them to even have a peek its $20. If the problem is unfixable as in dead hardware, I would charge them for the hardware, trip to the store(s) and then the labor. Having me fix it is still no matter what, cheaper than going to an actual shop. I honestly dont mind fixing stuff as it gives me something else to do when Im at home.
    I dont carry around anything because I work on computers easier at home or in my living room. I dont want to do a rush job unless its real easy to fix from their description.
    I build more computers for people than I do fixing and then after that, I never hear from them because I choose higher quality parts and I do a ton of testing before I give it back. Lets see, last week I built 3 computers :D

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I laughed my ass off when reading that....especially this part:
    it's like listening to a broken record...

4. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    I am glad to know that printer problems are a world wide issue, LOL
    How about this one.
    Work order details a user is unable to connect to LAN via wireless and is ticked off because of this, and blames the company I work with for shoddy equipment.

Resolution - user was trying to use laptop to connect via wireless to office LAN, while sitting at airport.

Then gets all ticked off when told wireless transceiver on either device would not nor could not transmit that far and would have to connect via other means to office LAN, and then says,"Why even buy wireless equipment if it doesn't work."

Another one from this same company--
    Work order details computer was destroyed and will need to be replaced and restored from backup.

Resolution - New computer ordered, deliver to customer, ask for backup drive, attach drive to new computer, look for the most recent backup on drive only to realize user was only backing up short cut icons from desktop, no data present. Customer ticked off at me and the company I work for because I cannot restore programs and data from backed up icons, customer tries to make it our fault that they do not know how to use backup solution that was bought by customer from another vendor, and I somehow should have known how it was configured.

That company lost 7 years of customer and billing data, so I understand why he was ticked off and needed someone to blame, I would have none of that and stood my ground only to enrage him further, LOL.

Needless to say we lost that account and my boss was relieved. Dealing with those people was a nightmare, they should have not been allowed to be anywhere near technology, a slug baking on a hot asphalt road has better sense then those morons.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

5. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Well i originally started fixing 8 bit computers, qualifiedas true tech to repair to component level.

Was always interested in pcs.

Theese days, i get very annoyed, that everyone calls em selves an IT engineer, and all they do at end of day, is change mobo, change hdd etc etc etc.

Now whilst its very difficult to get schematics unless authorised repair center, its not fair people call themselves repair techs, when they clearly are not.

However, its very difficult to repair smt multilayer boards i agree.

6. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    yeah, will i do too, but am looking for a job cos doing that from home doest excalty create a steady stream of income.

there is a tendency of companies hiring people with degrees who wouldn't know what regedit is. while people like me, with industry certifications sit at home browsing online for a job. i think the companies have a tendency of automating job applications. Degree - considered. All else - delete - multiple pass with RANDOM CHARACTERS. Ask a degree holder what that means.

(PS: there are some degree holders out there who know their stuff)

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I agree wit all that, also I think part of the problem is that there is no industry set entry criteria..

Also there seems to be a lot of variation in earnings.

Two different guys could be doing roughly the same type of work, but depending on their situation there may be 30k or more between their salaries...

And there are a LOT of bad seeds giving the industry a poor image....and often what's being taught in IT academies doesn't apply
    to real life situations.

My friend is a Systems Analyst w/ a Computer Science.
    He told me one day that he learned more about his job on the internet than he learned at University....

Too much theory and not enough practical inho.....:3eyes:

Well that's one hunch anyway...idk...I'll get off my soapbox now...lol

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    precisely why I am in school part time in network admin and design. Just recently finished my Windows Server course and have a couple more to go before I am done the program. May try to get some more certifications too.. they can't hurt. But no you are correct there is far more money out there in the IT sector for professionals and corporate is where its @

I guess making decent money off of parts depends mostly on what you can get those parts for. In my area I have been able to take advantage of sales at stores and online combo deals, buy in bulk, and then turn around and use those parts since you're always going to need to replace a router or stick of ram here and there.. and if you get it cheap a fair markup turns into $ in a hurry.

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    My 2 essential discs are multiple windows dvd and my favourite "Killdisk" for wiping hard-drives that have been online. Also useful to have some Arctic Silver for the occasional pc cleaning job when it's actually a heat/dust and not software/hardware problem.

I do it mostly for free or a bit of smoke, might get occasional £10-20. Hard-drives are slow (not counting ssd) and it takes too long to re-install everything etc. Definately prefer to take home and fix.

Funny, I only fixed my band m8s pc 2 days ago. Packed with dust, had to clean it all (yuck!). Tried to get his crappy cheapo photo printer to work, it didn't work and I gave up on it. Some kind of problem with the paper feed. Just the cleaning part is probably a once or twice a year thing.

Round here people don't have that much money so I can't really charge much anyway. Don't want to go bald so I don't think I'd want to repair pc's for a job, although, if you'd asked me 2 years ago, I thought about getting into it. Nah, I'm a gamer/musician at heart and don't have the patience anymore to wait for windows to install.

Personally, the worst kind of scenario is someone who's got hundreds of GB of stuff they want to keep, but, nothing to back it all upto. For me, that's a "no job" and the only ones I refuse to do now until they get a hard-drive sorted.

10. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    i fix software/hardware probs in this hostel for fun.. but only weekend tho..

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I use a 1TB USB 2 back up drive which I can remove from the enclosure and install internally for large transfers. Also a laptop and a 16GB memory stick, plus a CD folder with any discs I may need. I have a large number of spare parts at home as well as various tools including solder iron, multimeter, can of compressed air (for cleaning dust), test light and some artic silver or other decent thermal compound.

A wholesale account with a decent supplier is a good idea and be sure to get clients to pay up front for any expensive gear if they can't be trusted with prompt payment. I'm still owed plenty of money for $50 jobs that some people don't appreciate enough to bother paying for.

12. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    Have you tried using pure gum turps on the rollers (assuming that it is a feeder problem)? Does wonders to remove the paper dust and rejuvenate the rubber on the rollers.
    Warning: Don't use mineral turps unless you want to rot the rubber!

And yes, I build/upgrade and repair PC's for a living.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Good tip! Thanks! Unfortunately, the 6x4 paper gets dragged to one side and gets trapped. It's too cheapo to fix, but, I'll keep your tip in-mind.

14. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    I don't really fix them for a living .. just to get some money together to upgrade my pc. I usually carry my laptop, xp, vista, 7, etc .. cd's around. 250GB external hdd (which needs an upgrade btw). If I've been to those people before then I usually take a usb drive with me that contains te latest drivers for their computer. And ofcourse some anti virus scanners and stuff like that. And I do have spare parts at home for diagnosing hardware trouble.
    I don't charge that much either. Usually just €10 + parts (+€10 on every part) & thats not much compared to the local pc shops who like to steal money like crazy (your psu is broken? we recommend this €1000 pc to replace it, it has a crazy fast pentium IV and no gpu lolz).
    ~Aeny

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    [Essay]

I really enjoyed it, there was 3 of us, 2 IT techs (one did all the network stuff), then I was the AV Tech, but there wasn't much to do so I did a lot more IT stuff than AV anyway. It's a pretty easy job, mainly fixing stuff when it breaks, we had an online form that staff filled out and it added it to the list, then we could reply to them and mark the status of the job and which one of us was going to do it. Mostly software help or keyboards unplugged, also stuff like monitors not working or projectors or smart boards. Then in the holidays I had to upgrade the ram in like 60 PC's or we'll move PC's around, rebuild them etc. I'd set up a laptop and stuff in the hall or staff room for meetings and assemblies, some times I'd work evenings if there was a meeting at like 7, or once I went to a Rotary club posh dinner and set up the presentation for after that, I'd also do stuff like lending out cameras or filming classes then editing it and burning it for the teacher. I'd take all the photos for the press stuff to (I got them to buy a Canon EOS 1000D), I met the Pigeon Detectives when they came in for the local news as I was doing all our photos. Overall I enjoyed it, I had my own office with two PCs and had freeview so had that on whilst working. In my office I'd edit videos, make powerpoints, sort out the media drive (we were ripping all tapes and dvds to one drive on the server for staff to access on demand from any PC). But yeah it was good. I only did it for 8 months whilst saving to go travelling before Uni, but migh go back in the summer to help out for a month. I got £8 (£12 overtime) an hour which I guess was good seeing as though I was 19 with no ['official'] experience, I did it in my old school so knew all the staff and loads of the kids anyway. They're are different pay grades depending on your experience though anyway and I got random pay rises a few times (£7.20 > £7.50 > £7.80 > £8). Holidays is the same as standard really you wok during school holidays but that's more casual, so shorter hours and jobs are at your leisure (as rooms aren't in use). Anyway if you want more info just ask. Oh yeah you're not paid by the school, it's your local education authority to you officially work for and they pay you.

[/Essay]

16. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    i repair pc's just for the chicks...just kidding!
    i usually don't use any screwdrivers or other hardware...i use the fork when i open the case! i can adapt and survive better than Nomad from Crysis...just kidding!
    I usually ask them on the phone if they have what i need...so when i get there i won't have any problems with PC. I'm more in a "friendly repairing" phase, friends and family usually call me when they need help...so...i only make money when i am upset by the stupidity of the owner! "So i can't plug the monitor where ever i like?", "I have a box that can store everything i do?, isn't it dangerous? -No, it's called HDD and everything is safe in there, trust me!"
    These people are an easy catch!:banana:

17. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cheers, sounds good.. Pretty much how I would imagine it. I was an IT Tech for 1-2 years before but 90% of the time I had nothing to do, so it got boring rapid... but I imagine in a school there's plenty to do.

Salary is either grade C (£15,138) or grade D (£18,846) to start. I guess I'd get C, still decent enough for me as I'm just coming up on 20 years old.

One slight snag is my girlfriend is doing her A-Levels at the school's 6th Form, so I'd have to keep that secret :x at least she leaves in April lol

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    You have to have a CRB check aswell, but they should pay for that. But yewah I enjoyed it, good luck.

19. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ahh that's fine, I'm clean, at least I've never been caught doing anything I shouldn't by the po-po =x

20. Adicto

Adicto Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    LOL, hahaha that's ownage :p