1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any of the new Asus Strix 2080 TI's dead?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by boe, Nov 5, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    There use to be a myth like that in the past e.g. pre DX11 era. I remember people saying gigabyte + gigabyte mobo ran better, or asus+asus, etc.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    I never said that?

Usually keeping them together yields better results if you use their software, RGB, etc. I've built PC's for a long time. Nothing you said is really on topic. You're trying to talk for me and I never said a thing about anything you mentioned.

They can, but not what I was getting at either. BIOS detection etc. I plugged this ASUS in my AORUS Gaming 7 the BIOS reset its self. I plug my GIGABYTE Turbo 1080 Ti...it does not.

So you never know how the boards will detect other brands with video BIOS etc. I never said or claimed anything other than what I've experienced. They detect each other somehow to cause the BIOS to reset.

But my point was software usually behaving easier, keeping brand names. Plus I liked the AORUS look.

Still very happy with this ASUS STRIX so no complaints.

This is what I was getting at, yes!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    -Tj- and Geryboy like this.
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Hey lets not be rude. Jeez

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Arguing in topic won't help, it might make it worse. So, yeah. Move on.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    So, let me get this straight. I address another user on what I suspect to be misinformation, stating what I know regarding the topic and expecting a reply. Willing to be corrected if I'm wrong, or correcting what I perceive to be wrong.

Instead, I receive an aggressive reply from some other user defending the aforementioned and accusing me of looking for a stupid argument. You don't even know me, you don't know what I know, and you clearly can't tell what I'm trying to do through text, so spare me your bullshit accusations. I'm not even implying another user was incompetent - it's clear through his other posts that he is indeed competent.

The next time you get something crawling up your ass to post an uncalled for aggressive reply, think twice. You won't get away with any of that nonsense in here, do you understand?

You two are too wound up for naught. I wasn't talking for you, I was addressing what was clearly stated - brand compatibility matters. I asserted that it does not. I know some software from the same brand usually works for multiple components at a time in the system, but that's not related to brand compatibility. You phrased your claim incorrectly, and I addressed the claim based on how you phrased it - not reading between the lines here.

Sure, using the same software for multiple components could be easier since you're not using multiple software - but even those software suites do not conflict with one another, so I still have no idea why "compatibility" was mentioned. You're talking of convenience, no more, no less.

So one sample of Asus graphics card causing a BIOS reset in one sample of Gigabyte motherboard while one sample of Gigabyte graphics card in that same Gigabyte motherboard does not. You conclude: "BIOS detection" and that you never know how boards will detect other brands. That's not how any of this works ... again, I repeat, there's literally no point in any company writing a BIOS that behaves differently based on whether the graphics card reports the same vendor ID or not - unless it's Apple and you're attempting to achieve technological lockdown. It's a waste of space, it's a waste of man-hours, it's easily a new opportunity for unneeded bugs to manifest themselves, and it offers absolutely no additional functionality. Software that runs under Windows simply polls all potentially compatible devices and registers those it finds that report the vendor ID it is looking for.

-Tj- likes this.
  6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Great, you lack even reading comprehension. Stick to mobile games, they serve your attention span well.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Gery is right.
    So is vbetts in the sense that you are just baiting.
    Derailing the topic, assuming things and putting words in my mouth isn't really practical for healthy discussion.

I'll discuss the topic. All questions were answered.

8. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Hello,

I am just curious about this topic. I don't think my monitor can do HDR - I'm just curious if you don't mind chewing the fat.

9. Skeletor920

Skeletor920 New Member

GPU:
    Asus Dual 2080 Ti
    I was wondering the same thing it's the only 2080 Ti that has all 5 eggs across the board on Newegg no one has a dead one at least yet! My Asus 2080 Ti Dual died in 14 days and Newegg refunded me my textured kept flickering before game froze and kept getting worse I have an auto notify on the strix one but we will have to wait n see when they get back in stock

10. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    LoL I actually have a friend who said to me ”the most important thing when building a rigg is to have the same mb and gpu brand.” When I asked why he said ”to avoid strange problems”

I laughed and moved on.

signex likes this.