Any harm in enabling "Resizable Bar" in the BIOS if your GPU doesn't support it yet?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Apr 17, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I have a 3900X + 2080 Super and my BIOS (latest for ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4) does have options under PCEI to enable "4G Decoding Support" (necessary to enable Rebar it seems) and "Resizable Bar" itself.

Now, at the moment at least (and who knows, maybe forever) 2000 series GPUs do not support Rebar, but -- my thought was, if it didn't hurt anything I could switch it on and maybe down the line if its enabled in the driver on Nvidia's end i'm ready to go.

That said, I'm also not sure if turning it on for cards that are unsupported would have negative side effects. I did turn it on initially just to check the latest driver for support, but I suppose now I may as well turn it off for the time being if it could cause issues.

Thoughts? Would there be any advantage in leaving the 4G decoding and/or Rebar enabled or should I just switch them off for now? Thanks!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    vulkan stuff will be slower.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot, I’ll just leave it and 4g decoding on the default/off then and just enable PBO as my only change from stock then (I’d read previously that to do that you just move PBO from auto to enabled).

Much appreciated!

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, that’s good to know, will leave it off/at default then and just move PBO from auto to enabled as the only change. Much appreciated!

6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Rebar itself probably no, but above 4g can cause issues with incompatible OS.

e.g. I noticed my Macrium PE usb boot wont boot if above 4g is enabled.

Given my other issues and that the games I play have pretty much no performance benefit I am keeping CSM on and above4g/rebar off for now.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    My X299 motherboard exposes 4G Decoding Support, Resizable Bar and MMIO Granularity.
    I have no idea what I should set MMIO Granularity to with a 2080 Ti.
    Enabling Resizable Bar switches MMIO Granularity to 256G automatically, I have set it to 1G for now.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I enabled Above 4G option in my x299 BIOS and have no issues.

BlindBison likes this.
  9. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    As far as we have observed issue rises on AMD ZEN systems in a similar case like OP has described

BlindBison likes this.
  10. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I did a very quick test on my MSI X570 board with latest beta BIOS and didn't see any significant difference in Serious Sam 4 running vulkan renderer.
    Certainly nothing as severe as 50% performance cut.

BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks all, very good to know -- for now, I've pretty much just turned off the 4G decoding support and turned off Rebar since my machine doesn't support rebar and those were off by default. I haven't done objective testing or anything, but I haven't perceived much of any difference yet. If later down the line rebar is enabled for the 2000 series gpus, then I'll go back in and reenable those settings (since 4g decode is required for rebar it seems).

Sort of related, for PBO, is that better at "enabled" or "auto" -- in the youtube video for enabling Rebar I'd watched they said that "auto" for PBO (default setting) usually means its off while "enabled" is sort of the "no hassle" way of turning it on so that's what I did. Thanks all,

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Why exactly would enable that stuff have performance hits on card that dont even support it?

MMXMMX and BlindBison like this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No clue, hence the initial question haha -- I mean, the default is OFF and if it's not supported I may as well leave it off I suppose. I could leave 4g decode on with rebar off I suppose too.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I experience no difference in any Vulkan games between it on and off with my 2080S on my up to date Windows 10 install.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I had bad Vulkan performance and Civ 6 would crash for whatever reason.

16. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I have everything turned off enabling resizable bar even though I have everything to turn it on as in 3070 with bios update but I dont have any of the games that support it.:)

17. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Yes only 3000 series

18. Wilson Bradley

Wilson Bradley Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte RTX 2080
    Any updates on 20 series support for REBAR ? I thought I saw some Nvidia RTX 2080 firmware mods out there.. Anyone?

Thanks

BlindBison likes this.
  19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    "Above 4G decoding" works with pretty much any PCI-E device. I think it's transparent to the devices themself and it's is only a motherboard configuration option. This is an old option and you might need it when you stick a lot of graphics cards (with lots of VRAM) to a motherboard (hence some manufacturers call this a "GPU mining" option in their Setup help popups but it existed before mining became popular). And some people claim they loose performance with this enabled.
    "Resizable Bar" is new and needs extra support from the PCI-E device.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I think the gist is that it, apart from perhaps some weird multi GPU setup, only is a potential source of additional performance issues without benefits if SAM/CAM isn't supported. So don't bother, I guess.

BlindBison likes this.