Any chance (PC) COD:MW2 multiplayer will be successful?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by bsc14, Nov 4, 2009.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    no i think its a waste to buy this for my ps3. i wont play it , im sure.
    ofcourse im comparing it to MGS4,god of war 3, uncharted. 1+2 :)

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    so basically you're just basing it on MW1 instead of the preorder numbers. I think it'll be more useful to use preorder numbers since there will be people who won't buy this who didn't sign the petition. At the same time, there may be duplication on that petition (which I wouldn't be surprised, hence online petitions are useless).

I'm most likely going to hold off until Remembrance Day (11/11/09, using my 48 hrs guarantee) just to look at market reaction. Else I'm just gonna push my preorder and switch to the X360 version even if that means I don't get it within the first week.

Not getting Modern Warfare 2 for me is not an option.

deltatux

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I just looked up to see whether IWNet will be available in China and guess what? Of course not. I wasn't going to buy the game anyway and now neither are any of the Chinese. Stupid to buy a near exclusive multiplayer game the developers don't want you to play.

I am betting MW2 will be a great hit in China with hundreds of cracked servers.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    or I'm pretty sure people are just going to HKG and buy 'em and then figure out a way to use IWNet.

deltatux

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would not say that MW2 has got a weak anti-cheat system. VAC is ok, and does a great job of kicking hackers on TF2, CSS, DOD, etc, etc. I for one am so glad that they got rid of PB that thing was a total system hog. I play on MW servers that do not use PB but use an out sourced anti-cheat system that kicks players when hacks are detected.

Yes it is a shame they have not got dedicated servers, but still at least they have it on STEAM with STEAM you get a friends list and can easily hook up with people you have played before. 9 VS 9 is not that bad, we do not know how big the MP maps will be. Who knows this way it may be a lot more tactical. I for one would much prefer to jump into a 9v9 game than a 30v30 game with consistent spawn killers just sitting in the corner power levelling.

Plus with over 200,000 people signing that petition IW would be insane not to include dedicated servers in an upcoming patch. Lets just do the math, in GBP 200,000x40 = £8,000,000 what company would want to loose out on that kind of money? Yes there is more money to made on consoles, and that is why they have focused on them.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hmm.maybe i musnt buy that too. infact iam waiting for DRAGON AGE for PS3 at the moment. my money will go to it :)

7. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    dragon age on ps3 :gape:

8. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    This is the big question and imo there is only one answer to it: they expect to make up for this with paid DLC. This is also the only purpose for IWNet, to sell mappacks etc. instead of delivering them for free with patches. Unfortunately they must have done the math themselves because money making wise they have to be smart and while we can only guess they have to be sure to get the money in another way. I mean, what other purpose could there be for dropping dedicated server support and therefor losing a good amount of potential customers? I don't believe this "makes gaming experience better blahblah" **** they try to tell us at all...

9. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    they'll sell a $20 upgrade in a few months that correct the multi-player.

It's so obvious they cut corners on the PC version to save money and lock down the game so they can sell upgrades.

Sadly, WoW has shown the industry that they need to essentially rent people games.

10. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Activision and/or Infinity Ward "were" so close to break all records on sales with CODMW2, I´m pretty sure that removing dedicated servers and now setting 9v9 as limit for multiplayer will seriously hurt their sales, they´ll waste the oportunity of making one of the best games ever... What a pity :(

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    LOL, don't be daft course they will still break records, dedicated servers are for minority gamers.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Still, this will be the first game that'll actually will be proud of pirating. Buying this game as a competitive player just feels as if I'd be selling my soul somehow.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Errr - i didn't meant MW2 in my original post, I meant MW1 - I typed 2 by accident. My point was 3M people bought the original game, 180k people are complaining about this issue despite all the press and everything. That's 6%. I highly doubt MW2 is going to be unsuccessful.

14. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    No they didn't.
    PC gets "custom stuff"

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I hope it fails miserably. The COD franchise has become a joke, theres a new one released every single year and now they're taking away the most basic features and want more money, screw Infinity Ward. What I personally find funny is that I feel World At War was the best COD game to be released since the original and it wasn't even made by them.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    People can hope what they want, but this game is a likely to fail as Halo ODST was, even in a recession, it will still outsell everything else by huge margins.

I hated World At War, another boring WW2 game with crappy old weapons, and a poor story in SP.

17. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    CoD WaW was ok but it could have, should have been alot better. I think it's time to let go of Activision an IW as they show no signs of support the PC community like EA/Dice are doing with BFBC2. It's sad because I really liked Activision and thought IW was awesome but they made a game that has nothing to do with PC community. They gave us a console game and that cannot be forgiven, should not be forgiven anytime soon. They need to earn our money and show us a game that is worthy for us to pay. MW2 is a slap in every PC users face. I will not buy it unless they improve on it. If they don't, I still have CoD4,CoDWaW and then I can also look forward to BFBC2. EA will get my money, Activision will not.

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    There's cheat protection.... well it's using VAC, which has always hosted games that use dedicated servers -_-. I hated getting used to a server list.... oh wait... no I didn't, because it gave me more options. That's like saying: Who the hell needs all this selection of cereal?! Have some Raisin Brand *****! That may be easier, but it doesn't give me any options at all. He acts as if we haven't been doing this for years... "Finding the right server for you, well we're giving you that control out of box" ... so we DO have dedicated servers? :bang: Also, of course your going to be all open ears after... you have mah money then fool.

19. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You're saying it's easier for people to go to HK (order from HK), buy the game and then find a way to play on IWnet to have massive lag and constant disconnect, than it is to download/buy it from some third rate games vendor and play it on hacked servers with 50ms ping?

I know you're an IWNet fan but I'm surprised you actually expect the Chinese to play on US/Oceanic servers which will constantly kick them. Are you being blinded by fanboyism?