Any car gurus here?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by QuadCannons, Jul 19, 2008.

1. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    I bought a 1994 Toyota Celica GT and it has a huge straight-pipe exhaust. So it's big, it's loud, and I've been told I can quiet it down with an aftermarket silencer.
    The exhaust tip is 4" outer diameter and 3.9" inner diameter. What's a good aftermarket silencer and where can I buy it?

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I love you.

^^ Due to wildstyle's assumptions I'll post the reason for this post. It's because I am sick of everyone trying to make their sh*tty cars louder, and finally here is someone trying to make it quieter.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  3. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Lol @ DCX, I don't like chavved up hatchbacks with bean can exhausts either.

@ QuadCannons: Nice car. Do like those. Straight through exhaust, I pity your ears. I can't give any places over there, but it kinda depends in which direction you want to head.

If you want to stick with an aftermarket exhaust and modify the one you have then you could get a custom exhaust place to stick a box or two in but you may still not be happy with the sound produced.

Or maybe a whole new cat-back system tailored to your requirements if you feel like spending the cash. You could also whack the cat back on if it's been decatted.

But aftermarket exhausts are expensive so alternatively you could get a new OE system fitted. That'd probably be cheaper but won't look as "nice", won't sound as "good" and won't last as long. Depends what you're after.

Probably worth finding a Celica owners club at some point soon.

4. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    Yeah I was never a fan of loud exhaust cars, especially when you can just quietly zoom past them on the highway, just shows how pointless they are.

Unfortunately it'd cost too much to swap in something new so I was told about a miraculous little device that supposedly reduces noise to below that of normal factory stock cars.

This is the kind of silencer device I'm looking for, but have no idea what's good and what's not.
    http://www.autocarparts.com/p_Exhaust__Silencers/

I will look for a car or Celica owners forum eventually but this is my first car and going into one of those forums I have no idea what anyone's saying :D

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    A single silencer will help, but due to the nature of the system you have on there (from what I gather you have no silencers at all?), it's still going to be very loud. Next to that obviously different silencers produce different sounds, and you're not going to know what it sounds like until it's on there along with the rest of your system. I've got 3 silencers and a cat still on my car and it's quite loud i.e. people hear me coming.

I note you mention the cost of adding something new, but adding for example a new aftermarket back box (silencer) is still going to cost you a fair amount of money to buy in the first place and also get it fitted. And as said above, with only a single silencer, it's still going to be very loud.

So really I'd still either consider going to a custom exhaust place and having something made up to get the sound you want, or fit an OE system. An OE system is the equivalent to what would have been on the car when it was new, so it'll be pretty quiet.

As for not knowing what they're saying, if you have an interest in it you'll pick stuff up in no time.