Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Nijohc, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Talk to your Doc perhaps some ativan or xanax he will give

2. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    He should try the beta blockers before looking into benzodiazepine medications.

3. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    No, it's the closest comparison I could make. When faced with that situation, the anxiety hits first, then rage.

Ummm...let's see...

Okay, you know that feeling right before a fight? Like when you first detect it and a second before the adrenalin kicks in? Or if your house has ever been robbed. When you first walk in the door and you get that "sinking" feeling? A sure fire explanation is when you are approached by the police and they seem like they found "the guy" with the look on their face. I guess anxiety is different for different people. Being a younger fellow, it's comparable to getting sent to the principals office and having to sit in waiting for a short period. Then all of sudden, your name is called in. That first few seconds or minutes beforehand can be described as anxiety.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    As a teen i got anxiety attacks being in public and/or unfamiliar places. hands sweat, cold sweats, feeling everyone is staring at me, feeling i need to run, nervouseness, can't think straight or sometimes not comprehend whats said to me.

i gradually grew out of most of it, though sometimes i still get mild anxiety in public places. i get angered if someone stares or seems like their staring at me, especially those "mean mugs" type looks enrage me for some reason. had a bigger effect on my social life more than it did anything else. i now have a habit of trying to avoid typical chit chat with strangers and turned more into a home body but not sure if its still due to anxieties or a behaviorial habit due to past anxieties, i think the latter.

smoking pot causes me some weird anxieties when i hit my mid twenties and reason i stopped smoking it. makes me look at myself from a 3rd person perspective and i get some weird anxieties during it.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It doesn't necessarily have to do anything with fear. It's stress building up and suddenly you get "an attack" and feel anxious, afraid, for no apperent reason. It's almost as if your in the jungle and come face to face with a live tiger, but without anything to be afraid of.

I get them about once or twice everymonth and they're absolutely random. Instead of beta blockers, try "Lysanxia", helps me against anxiety attacks. I only take this medicine if I have to do something where an attack would just screw me over to much. It's not something you have to take everyday, just when you somehow expect to get one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prazepam wiki link for lysanxia. Doesn't have any strange side effects on me, nor do I feel fuzzy.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have anxiety a lot and have done for years but I've only had an actual panic attack once, I think... I remember when I was about 10 and I was in the school football team and pretty much the star striker, we had a tournament for all the local schools. Right after I got changed into my kit and we were about to get on the coach I started feeling extremely sick and worried.

Since then it's come and gone. Through high school I was petrified of having the whole class or even assembly's attention on me and I would blush really easily, which made everyone laugh and make it 100 times worse... I even looked into getting a sympathectomy operation to permanently disable my body's ability to blush... lol. It got really stupid like when we had whole-year assemblies once a week I would take my phone out my pocket, turn it off, take the battery out and put the battery in a seperate pocket to the phone, just so there was no way the battery could get back in and the phone ring and 250 people all turn around and look at me. I used to bunk off drama class and I even did my english GCSE speech, which was meant to be infront of the whole class to count, one-on-one with my teacher during lunch.

Since school though I'm not too bad, not in the same way anyway... Now I get mad anxiety when I go in clubs (last time I went in a club I had the only panic attack I've had). I can do bars and pubs and parties no problem but clubs screw me over.

But my absolute worst thing right now is eating meals in restaurants and at other peoples houses in an intimate setting. My last girlfriend and her best friend cooked a meal for me and the other one's boyfriend, I was sketching out all the way to the food being put on the table and I couldn't even have one bite when it came. Felt so **** because its such a rude thing to do but if I had a bite I felt like I would hurl. Then the same thing happened again when the same four of us went on holiday together and my girlfriend cooked my favourite food (chicken fajitas!) and I couldn't eat any. I think it has something to do with when I was little I refused to try foods (the point where all kids refuse to try new foods but their parents make them, I just refused) and so now I'm a fussy eater, so I think when I'm at a restaurant or friends house I have limited or no choice of what I'm going to eat, so I freak out.

We split up about 2 months ago for unrelated reasons and I started to hang out with my friends everyday since and smoke lots of green and at first it was amazing and I was eating loads and having a great time. Until one night we got some purple haze and I ate so much crap with the munchies that I was sick that night from overeating and since that night I have to mentally calm myself down before I eat anything or my throat locks up and my gag reflex kicks in...

Basically I have no idea what's wrong with me or what I would be diagnosed as and I've never had any medication for any of it. All I know is anxiety sucks in all forms and I can't wait to be over it!

/end life story

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I am curently ob Geodone anti depressant,lamictal a mood stabilizer,nerontin for anxiety,xanax for anxiety and tenex a blood pressure pill used for me as a beta blocker.

Plan on dropping the nerontin as it is making me non sleepy and seems to be making me gain weight.

I recently lost 22 pounds and was very happy but now i put it all back and i dont eat that much.

even with all those meds my stress is very high and i can not seem to handle anything.

And lately my body aches and does not want ot move much..I have no drive to do anything anymore.

Trying to branch out though and force myself to go out to break the cycle.

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Three ways I got out of my social phobia (which developed in the early teens)

Learn about muscle relaxation. If a person is tense then they often subconsciously have unrexated muscles. This goes both ways, the mind and body affects each other and creates stress.

If you're easily stressed start meditating (yeah, I know this sounds BS new-agey..but I'm a naturalist/materialist myself so..)

If you don't train then start doing it. Endorphins are the best cure for the blues.
    Make it at least 30 minutes 3-4 times / week and make sure to sweat.

Perhaps one more thing, make sure to eat some omega3.

Good luck..

9. "Born"_*Leader*

"Born"_*Leader* Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS450 OC in SLI
    I was diagnosed skitzophrenics over 8 years ago now, but have had panic attacks for over 11 years. I quoted this reply because recently I have a near heart failure while lying in bed one morning and I had to strain to keep it kicking over. I can only explain that it felt like the nahd of GODt rying to tear my beating heart from my chest.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I usually get them after a period of stress. Though 3 weeks ago I had my first attack with lasting effects upto 1,5 weeks. After the attack I had a blood pressure of 16/12 for about a week and a half. Usually they're short and only take about 30 mins to an hour.

There's a genetic factor aswell I think. My mother and her sister have the same symptoms. Sadly I also inherited migraine from her :bang:

11. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    I got certainly interested in this threat due to the anxiety/panic attacks that I have been suffering from.
    Despite the fact that panic attacks cannot physically hurt you, it is still a terrible experience, which I wish everyone not to experience. They say that panic attacks cannot damage your physical or mental health, I think that they do affect the mental part of your health. Many of you probably wonder why, well it could be for as simple reason as that after some time you have been suffering from panic or anxiety attacks, you start to experience anxiety of getting a panic attack.
    It all started within one day. I used to smoke weed heavily every day I would smoke between 3 to 7 grams or even more at times. One day after I smoked a blunt I experienced a panic attack for the first time, at the time I had no clue that I was experiencing what's called a panic attack. Anyways after I smoked that blunt that one morning I started feeling really sick, my hands were sweating I was feeling really weak like I was going to faint and I was shaking really uncontrollably, I had my friend take me to the ER, by the time I got there I was feeling just fine so I did not go in, due to not having a medical insurance. Later on that day I experienced smaller panic attacks. Ever since then I am experiencing anxiety attacks due to fear of getting a panic attacks. I was living like that for about a year. It started to interfere with my life, I would become afraid of going to work because I would feel like I would not know what to do if I got a panic attack at work. Every here and then I would get a panic attack. It is really hard to explain the feeling when you experience one of those. About 3 months ago I learned that what I am going through is called anxiety / panic attacks, so I went to see a doctor. I found out it is really easy to cure, at least it is what my doctor told me. I got prescribed some medication that I was suppose to take every day and this other medication that I was suppose to only take when I would experience a panic attack or an anxiety, due to it being extremely addictive, I believe the drug was called xanax, of course i got the generic version of it. the first medication that I was taking on daily basis isn't helping at all, on the other side the other medication is very helpful, the bad side is that it is very addictive. I could take generic version of xanax one time a day for a week straight and then go without anxiety of getting panic attacks for another couple maybe few weeks. Although couple days ago my doctor refused to prescribe me anymore of it as he thought I was taking too much of it. Which I think is bs, but anyways I am back to point A I haven't taken any medication for about 2 weeks and I am experiencing anxiety on daily basis, fearing panic attacks.

There is a lot more I could say, explain, whole bunch other factors but it would be too much typing.

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  13. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    I highly agree with you on what you say. Xanax withdraws can kill you, heroin withdraws won't kill you, although when it comes to xanax it can kill you.

Although becoming addicted to xanax takes a while of taking it every single day, but when it comes to taking one tablet a day for a week an then not taking any for 2.5 weeks, makes it clear that it wouldn't be as dangerous. Above statement is an opinion of my 2nd doctor i went to see....hmm who to believe ****...

14. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    Surprisingly I've heard a lot of people say the same thing that bunny rabbitys and milk in general seems to help for anxiety attacks, i never tried that before but highly considering trying it soon.

15. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    I get a panic attack aka faster heart rate, heavy breathing, increased sweating, face gets redder etc whenever I have to speak in front of people. I'd rather avoid it, I'm not shy at all, but I've found no solution so far. :wanker:

16. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Dustpuppy is spot on, I took doctor prescribed anti-anxiety medication only for a couple weeks & had pretty bad withdraw symptoms. My experience is that it just makes the problem worse. You become dependent on them & when you don't have a pill you simply cannot function due to the initial withdraw which magnifies & causes further panic attacks. I gave up after several tries at different medications & decided LOTS of exercise plus a healthier lifestyle worked much better for me. If I'm exhausted from a lot of physical exercise there's no way I can have a panic attack, it just will not happen.

17. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    I respect and understand what you're saying, but it works a little bit different for me here. When I wake up in the morning I never have anxiety or panic attacks, I am always getting anxiety as the days goes by, when I am more tired, the more tired I am the more common for me it is to get an anxiety attack, same with food, if I haven't ate any food in quite a while and im hungry i will get an anxiety attack. But yeah I do get panic attacks and anxiety anytime after 3pm, up to 3pm I am completely fine, I guess it's true what they say about it affecting people differently.

18. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    I respect and understand what you're saying, but it works a little bit different for me here. When I wake up in the morning I never have anxiety or panic attacks, I am always getting anxiety as the days goes by, when I am more tired, the more tired I am the more common for me it is to get an anxiety attack, same with food, if I haven't ate any food in quite a while and im hungry i will get an anxiety attack. But yeah I do get panic attacks and anxiety anytime after 3pm, up to 3pm I am completely fine, I guess it's true what they say about it affecting people differently.

Also cigarettes will cause an anxiety eventually a panic attack if smoked a lot, same with caffeine.

19. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    ive suffered with anxiety and paranoia ever since i gave up smoking :(

i mean smoking cigarettes not drugs by the way :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  20. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    4chmob do you get quality sleep? I found when I don't sleep well but still have energy & don't find a outlet for that energy it causes insomnia cycle for me. I do sleep but find unless I exercise & wear myself out physically I don't sleep well. After a few days of poor sleep I have a much higher chance of having a panic attack & stimulants like caffeine or too much tobacco can set it off. On top of that those stimulants also add to the sleep issues. I have also noticed that when I'm really hungry or just haven't eat for awhile I have a higher chance of getting one as well which I'm sure has to do with low blood sugar & caffeine adds to that problem by speeding up your metabolism. That's why I mentioned a healthier lifestyle may help since it helps control blood sugar.