1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antivirus renewal or replacement??

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by sykozis, Oct 19, 2018.

?

Antivirus renewal or replacement??

Poll closed Oct 26, 2018.
  1. Renew McAfee

33.3%
  2. BitDefender Family Pack

33.3%
  3. BitDefender Free, WebAdvisor and Anti-Ransomware Tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kaspersky

33.3%
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So, I noticed today that I have 40 days left to make a decision. I've been using McAfee Internet Security for the last 3 years. When I went to renew, they want $70 USD to "upgrade" my subscription from McAfee Internet Security Unlimited Device to McAfee Total Security 10 Device. Apparently, McAfee has discontinued all but their "Total Security" and "LiveSafe" products. So, my options are....

Renew McAfee at $70USD and take the loss of going from Unlimited Device to 10 Device (and a forced "upgrade" that I don't want)
    Switch to BitDefender Family Pack for $50.....before my McAfee Subscription runs out....
    Switch to Kaspersky.... (I'm leery of this one, due to both price and history....)

I've been reading reviews for the past hour and it seems BitDefender has quite a few complaints since I last used it. Most of the complaints seem to claim that BitDefender has become a massive resource hog, which has never been the case in the past.

I've had no issues with McAfee in the last 3 years, but this product change really irritates me.

The last option would be to switch to BitDefender Free, WebAdvisor and Anti-Ransomware Tool.....

No, Windows Defender is not an option....

So, that being said, let's keep things clean (non-political, no insults, etc) and helpful. Yes, there's a poll... Actual input from BitDefender users would be appreciated though.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well, all I can say is that I'm using Bitdefender (subscription), and they recently had a "big" update (yearly change in their release I guess).

My main comlaint about Bitdefender is not resource hogging (in the modern age, I honestly doubt that you feel the impact of an AV unless on limited resources in the first place, any CPU / 16GB of RAM in my opinion should not feel that), but the lack of proper control over the software in the first place:
    Before the update I could whitelist a couple of programs that apparently were identified with false positives, which can happen with any AV, but even whitelisting them in two different "modules" of Bitdefender did not work, or still gave out warnings... which is a pita. Also, there is no simple "temporarily off" switch or button, which is extremely annoying... to really have your system not mix with Bitdefender's affairs, you have to uninstall it completely. In general, that avoids any malicious stuff getting around it and still infecting you, but it practically cripples the advanced user more than any viruses.

All in all, for usability and user friendlyness, the best I had was Norton back in the day. But I guess these days, you're fine with anything free, Malwarebytes is pretty thourough.

3. The1

The1 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 780ti SC, H20
    Bitdefender without a doubt!
    Been using Total Security for 5+ years now and never had an issue that would have me look elsewhere.
    There support was great the 2 times that I have felt the need to contact them i.e. getting back to me within 12 hours and providing a solution to my concern.
    Support for up to 5 devices and as to the "resource heavy" assertion...fantaskarsef is correct.
    With the desktops we run today, I can't imagine noticing a performance hit.
    Hope this helps...

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm not so worried about the performance impact in regards to my primary desktop (Ryzen 1600/16GB DDR4-2666). It can more than cope with the resource load. However, I have systems running everything from Arrandale based Celerons to Kaby Lake i3's from Intel as well as an Athlon 5350 based system. So, I have the performance of older entry-level systems to consider as well that are much more resource limited. Also worrying for me, is the inability to temporarily disable an antivirus. I'm not particularly concerned with the quality of the support service. If there's a need to contact support, the product has failed anyway.

From my research, McAfee seems to be on par with BitDefender for "protection" though both appear to be surpassed by Kaspersky, which I have had nothing but problems with in the past.

5. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  6. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security for a lot of years.
    No problems no issues.
    It has some features I really like.
    That said.
    I buy my activation keys on eBay.
    Way cheaper than going to Kaspersky to renew.
    I just renewed for another year.
    3 devices ( mine, my wife's, my brother ) $30.00
    Just something to consider when it's time to renew.

7. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I've gone the F-Secure route for years - mainly because the price last time was $51 for 2 years, 3 devices. From German online shop.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    BitDefender. However, their dumbed down interface could be improved. But they removed a lot of things just to avoid unnecessary support calls and annoyance, I think.

9. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    removal

10. SteveJ12

SteveJ12 Member

GPU:
    Nvdia 1080ti
    Go with Bitdefender!

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This thread was started on October 19. At that point, I had 40 days left on my McAfee subscription. It's been over 60 days now....

12. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Non of the above, but there is free stuff at majorgeeks.com in this catagory.
    I run naked through the fields....

13. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    How many devices do you actually install on?

Bitdefender Total Security is fantastic, fully recommend.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    At any time, between 5 and 10 computers....lol That's why I had an unlimited license to begin with, aside from it being relatively cheap. It was on sale for $10 at the time I made the initial purchase. I ended up "upgrading" to McAfee Total Security from Internet Security, as I managed to get it for $30 for 10 licenses. I just have to be a little more cautious about how many computers maintain an active license. As the license is only for 1 year, I'll be back in a similar position next year....with likely similar options.

15. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Don't pay for anti-virus. Windows has it built-in. Spend that money on something useful.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    attention to detail can prevent making an unnecessary post... thread was started on Oct 19. first post specified 40 days... It's now been over 90 days.....

17. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I stand by my words.