Anti Aliasing causing white dots on edges and texture seams

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ewilusz, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    NEW PROBLEM Even with AA off I am still getting the white pixels on edges now. Maybe the card was ****ed?

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Your card is -FINE-

I get it with Bad Company 2 as well

Trust me if your card was zonked you would be seeing graphical glitches all over the freaking place, not just in select places

Its like when I enable 4xEQ Edge Anti-aliasing in CCC and run Bad Company 2, I get particle effect corruption all over the freaking place, not just at the edge of pixels of polygons at the sky edge

Its a problem with the Bad Company 2 engine, and -EVERYONE- gets it

Not just Radeon, EVERYONE gets it.

You get it in DX9, or DX11 mode

There is literally nothing you can do about it

If your card was broken, ALL your games would be glitching and messing up all over the place like a jackrabbit on crack, you would have missing textures, particle effects wonking out, models stretching off into oblivion, the computer crashing etc etc etc

Your card is fine, if -ALL- your games start acting up, then its time to be concerned, however the white dots in Bad Company 2 -EVERYONE- gets

3. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    I guess, It just seems odd as as hell. This randomly starts, and just now in TF2 I get the issue character detailed items like pyros tank with AA off. Just turned AA to edge detect and x24 and it went away which was odd.

So basically because the white pixels appear in a pattern and in areas I can repeat, instead of all over the screen, the games fault? Guessing old games and new cards don't mix well?

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

http://img28.imageshack.us/f/bfbc2game20110411212623.jpg/

Look at the roof outline at the top

See even I get the white pixels in BC2

Its how the game handles particle and shader effects, it has errors now and then

I can make it happen in a lot of games, its the games engine rendering fault, not the graphic cards fault

5. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I get white dashed lines in WoW with AA enabled. Only happens in very few locations, such as cave entrances when viewed from inside the cave.

6. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Eh, guess I'm jsut so worried because I never had noticed them this badly before. Maybe in the past the heavy action in the game tore it from my attention.

7. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    With unreal engine 3 games , this was an artefact caused by AA being enabled for transparent textures.

8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    what, look at the right half of that hangar, the roof panels arent paper thin, that is what the white is, & since pixels are only a limited space, it gets ugly the smaller the object is

we're talking about those pixels right, they look the same as the roof edges in the middle of the hangar? not the white blob where a shadow should be right

now bc2 itself is an inconsistent thing to look at when talking about AA, cuz it does its selective top edges get more AA than bottom junk

[​IMG]

9. Valagard

Valagard Guest

BC2's AA is horrible period, its completely selective to what it does and doesn't apply AA too

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Bad Company 2's outlines are caused by the post processing effect in conjunction with how the graphics engine renders its lighting + Smoke; those at the culprit.

I personally used MLAA with this game.

11. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Well I am getting the jagged edges with a few line in them with AA on for a number of games, that i noticed and certain textures within them. TF2 has them on some crates borderlands gets them in well alot of stuff and it also gets a weird jagged black line on the ground sometimes. Only on a few rails in L4D2 as far as I have noticed and of course Bc2 is um white dot king.

12. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    do note that TF2 has that shine effect where edges get brighter, similar to looking at an object with a light source behind it instead of the light where you are

get some more pics going

borderlands black line on the ground is cuz... it's cell shaded, that's the point (it affects polygon edges, so certain parts of the ground like little hills & bumps would have the black edge appear as you go away from them)

13. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Here is an obvious example of what I see using just ingame AA on Tf2, gets better if I put edge detect on and force 24aa

[​IMG]

14. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    yes that's how they designed it o_O

15. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Well that sucks, guess I've jsut come to notice more lately. On a bc2 note, that heavy metal map gets tons of white dots on the ground at the middle cap point. Guess I can chalk tf2 to custom maps and old design flaws and apb to well beta obviously and borderlands to cell shading.

16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    show me some more in-game pics though so we can see & decide if it's a bug or design or limitations of X amount of pixels to fill in, i doubt APB will be different when they do a final release

the tf2 model viewer in that menu is faulty actually, everything is some kind of half resolution no AA uglyness

17. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Okay well i can give a comparison when AA is rather high if it helps, that one was just AA ingame and none forced

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Here U get white dots in front headlight, and at the bottom of the front bumper, image printscreen knocked a lot of them off it seems

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  18. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    I was getting white dots with AA on in Crysis/Warhead... I updated to the newest 11.4 drivers released today as well as the updated 11.3 CAP3 drivers and it fixed it...

19. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    whats um cap 3? and where U get 11.4 drivers? not on amd site.

20. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Check this section, its the thread right above this one :)