1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthem

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 10, 2017.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 Gaming
  2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I think you are right.

While I can accept that, it is not encouraging me to play it.

I'm not a fan of playing games like this on a controller.

XenthorX likes this.
  3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 Gaming
    Console version needs to have some great auto-aim function as playing on a harder difficulty you need to be precise to kill something fast because you can get one shotted rather fast.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    story of our lives when it comes to console gaming having priority in game development over pc, ofc it will not be playable if it s gonna be a twitch 3rd person shooter, id rather pass on it as it is unplayable vs fast moving players who will HS u the second they see you

5. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Played again last night, got to the boss, server crashed and lost all items, logged back in, wanted me to do the whole mission over again. That's it for me. Gave it 2 weekends of chances. EA Access means I'll give it a DL when it arrives but I doubt it will become a heavily played game in my library. The wait for Division 2 continues, just hoped this would have been a nice diversion while waiting.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Definitely giving this game a miss as it feels more like Destiny Third Person than a BioWare game and the demo was definitely lacking in the story department replaced instead by, yawn, sorry, co-op gameplay. As I prefer to play solo as other players just tend to break the immersion for me, especially when they're telling you to hurry up while I'm exploring or reading the lore, I actually found the enemy fights very grindy and they quickly became dull. Just like Destiny and its sequel.

Not for me I'm afraid unless the reviews paint it as a more story-focused game than the demo hints at? Then again EA have pretty much admitted they aren't interested in single player story-based games because they think gamers don't want them which in turn helps them sell their "live services" and all the exploitative microtransactions that come with them.

P.S. While the PC version is mostly fine technically, though a bit demanding considering the visuals aren't that great IMO, the Xbox One X version I played was dreadful; horrid sub-30 fps framerate, stuttering/hitching and even flashing lighting/texture bugs. It really felt rough and unfinished on that platform.

ShadowDuke and cerebus23 like this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I can't believe EA have released a unfinished, services heavy, microtransaction bloated mess!.......when did EA start doing stuff like this. :p

lucidus likes this.
  8. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's quite literally a Warframe meets Destiny clone. Like, half and half.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    *edit*

Wrong thread I'm stupid.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    seems like the best game of February... to skip.

cerebus23 and Darren Hodgson like this.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Grumpy Cat has spoken :D

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Hehe, you should always listen to grumpy Russian cat :)

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Funny how quickly things change.

2 weeks ago before this demo and online comments, I was anticipating two big games this month. Metro and Anthem. Now, I'm anticipating neither. Bring on March, Division 2.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, same here. Decided not to buy Metro Exodus as soon as I heard it was moving over to the Epic Store as an exclusive. I will play that game next year when it returns to the Steam Store so it can sit alongside the first two games which I already own on Steam.

As for Anthem, I'm disappointed to be honest because BioWare are usually fantastic at telling great stories with good dialogue (ending of Mass Effect 3 excepted) and this new game really does feel like a lacklustre clone of Destiny (and apparently Warframe, though I've not played that much). I half expected Anthem to have a battle royal mode to be honest... maybe that'll be added later if sales don't meet expectations...? ;)

SerotoNiN, BangTail and cerebus23 like this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well MAYBE there is more better story when the full game opens up, better characters npcs not broken and doing nothing at all.

But wait for reviews on that i would not pro order this wait for reviews you trust and put a good amount of time into the game so maybe a week or two after it goes live for everyone. The story issue the characters being dull issue in the starter area i guess? the cash shop issue and pricing and whatnot, all that is a unknown because the demo was so limited.

But you know me i want this to fail :p. bioware is dead i just want it out of its misery less EA is really going to attempt to REALLY change its ways.

16. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I would not hope for a good story in an MP game. It is close to impossible, because of the disconnect between character interactions and dialogues, followed by grouping up with people and mindlessly killing hordes of enemies…

Anyways, I’ll stay far away from it, mostly because of EA, but also because I had my fair share of playing Destiny and being disappointed by it on many occasions.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Exactly my thoughts too. Destiny and its sequel were really poor in terms of narrative and story-telling IMO with interaction basically limited to quest givers. This is how Anthem also feels with NPC conversations in the hub area being especially minimal as is the choice of dialogue with them. Of course, it could be better in the full game but as a big slice of the full game the demo was designed to showcase the gameplay and from what was on offer I doubt the final game will offer much different or better. Anthem just doesn't appeal to me and I find it hard to get excited about it.

Mind you I've skipped a few major releases of late... Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 because of its lack of single player and Battlefield V for example as those are just one sequel too many for me and it is hard to get excited about the same-old same thing each year when it's just dressed in different clothing. I also skipped Fallout 76 but that actually turned out to be a very good thing as the game was absolute tripe!!!

I am not a fan of online multiplayer unfortunately so games that focus on that over solo content are obviously going to be less interesting for me as is the case with Anthem. I know it can be played solo but it just felt a bit lacking, unexciting and grindy when played that way IMO.

lucidus likes this.
  18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 Gaming
  19. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ "You are freelancers!"

Just out of curiosity, did BioWare do at least 1 really good game since they were bought by EA? All I can remember were just mediocre or really bad attempts. SWTOR, Inquisition, Andromeda and Anthem. I kinda smell Anthem the Battle Royale edition incoming.

20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    DAO imo was the last GREAT RPG, but mass effect 1 and 2 were very good in spots and 3 had alot going for it but the ending.

Andromeda was a mess, inquisition was bloated too much fluff burnt too many players out, EA does not want to make single player games and bioware is primaritly a single player rpg studio. What place do they have under EA to begin with? when EA insists single player games are dead and bioware has had two underpreforming games back to back and andromeda was a joke it was so broken and cringe.

The old guard has left bioware would they ever be able to reach the heights of DAO KOTR? we will probably never know unless EA flips on that kotr3 project. And bioware has to survive anthem launch to even make that a probability.