Anthem

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    We should get back to things we can all agree on. Like a nice glass of scotch and a fun game to play!

2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I just tried the demo.. and well I hated it. To be fair I didn't get to play a lot because I was so quickly annoyed with a few glaring issues:

1. At first the game kept trying to open up on my third screen.. which is a TV I have turned off to the side of me. Took me a minute to get it on the main screen at which point it completely locked up my PC until I rebooted. Because it hard locked the settings didn't save to file and this happened again until I was able to edit the config file. /clap
    2. Forced motion blur even when disabling the setting (apparently getting fixed.. still made my experience awful)
    3. No FOV slider. This plus the motion blur made me just want to skip and zoom past everything as quickly as possible in the first person area. I couldn't enjoy a second of it. Felt sick just walking around.. really hurt my opinion of the game because atmosphere and immersion are some of the biggest things I like in gaming.
    4. Flying controls are awful. Mouse control in general isn't good. Just bad.
    5. I couldn't find out how to quit the random group of strangers it wanted to lump me with. I realized it was probably my fault because I was supposed to set the game to private somehow, but it wasn't very obvious to me (since I missed it I guess) and at this point I was already sick of the game. Also, I apparently wasn't allowed to explore on my own as it abruptly took me to a loading screen before dumping me right next to the team I was trying to avoid. Even if I am playing with just friends I don't want to be teleported around like that when we really weren't that far away... I'm sure there is a way around this.. but damn that was not a good starting experience.

There are other issues I saw (like no HDR settings/toggle), but those are the glaring ones that made me stop playing really quickly. Just really reeks of a last minute PC port. Sad.

On the positive:

Graphics, aside from the motion blur/fov, is amazing.
    Shooting felt good.
    Movement on ground was ok.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
    Gave it a spin. First impression was not great. I found the menu system annoying to navigate but that's a problem in many games.
    The town you start in was very very quiet. I had to check my headphones to see if I pulled the plug. There's no music and the ambience is almost non-existent. At least voices are present.
    I ran over to the robot suit and loaded the mission map. There was no prompt telling me that I had to press f to start the selected mission. Only when I pressed escape into another menu did it show. I was getting a little triggered by this point but I'm also pretty tired.
    I load into some random place and try flying. Steering while flying was super awkward. Maybe it'll get better with practice.
    I drop down on the ground. Kill 2 dudes. And then I get a random load screen. Turns out the server disconnected and now I'm back to the place I spawned in the town when I first launched the game. I logged off then.

BangTail and Kolt like this.
  4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Yep, that mission select on one screen, then start it on another is super weird.

5. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Is it me or is it damn near impossible to tell how I'm receiving damage a lot of times? Especially during the boss fight in the third mission.

Other then that the graphics are great.

This is a console game. Not buying. I know it's a demo but it still seems bare bones compared to the PC multiplayer games of old and somewhat new.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    BangTail likes this.
  6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    can't even get it to connect to the servers, guess i'll have to try again some point sat or sun

7. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I've finished all (three:rolleyes:) story missions, then on tyrant mission the game bugged out and didn't send last wave of enemies, so I quit.

To sum it up... awful amount of bugs, atrocious optimization and very limited "fun". If Andromeda didn't kill BioWare, this actually might.

BangTail likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I don't have the demo but while watching gameplay I was wondering about the numbers that appear when shooting enemy, can those numbers be turned off?

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Yeah they can be turned off, that’s one plus to this game actually, it has a decent amount of HUD options.

KissSh0t likes this.
  10. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Just tried the demo. I actually liked it, for the most part.

Hated:
    Always online crap. A solo offline feature would be nice. Doubt that will happen though.
    Under water controls.... WTF are they thinking?? It's all slowed down and very awkward to use.
    Flying is very tricky at first, I think they need to tweak the mouse controls a little and it'll be spot on.
    For some reason, I lost control of my character. Totally. Some times, partially. It may have been lag? Hopefully it's not some dumb ass mechanic to simulate damage to your Javelin. If it is, it needs to go.
    Very repetitive. Really hoping they're just showing us a small taste of what missions are available in the game. Got bored very quickly of 'fetch these items, acticate, defend that' missions.
    UI feels very clunky and not responsive. Hoping it improves.

Liked:
    Flying is awesome. Great sense of speed and power in the Javelin. Totally felt empowered and bad ass.
    Graphics are very nice. Even though a fairly big downgrade from the E3 events. To be expected.
    Audio is superb. Weapons, powers, even music is great.
    Javelin animations are the best. Very fluid and responsive to control.

I'm on Origin Access so will be able to check this out when it releases. Really hoping they make some improvements to the issues that people have reported and that the world is more alive and missions less repetitive and linear, like the demo.

That's all.

11. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I actually got an extra fps from bumping the resolution up from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440.

First time something like this has happened for me. I thought the bottleneck was a myth.

Undying likes this.
  12. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Just tried the demo, can't say I really enjoyed it. The controls just feel so sluggish and the forced auto aim shite is very aggravating. I was going to keep trying, but the game just hard crashed. I doubt I will try it again.

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    end game 3 dungeons dailies and world explore enjoy.

BangTail likes this.
  14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Tried the demo. Player a few minutes and uninstalled. I don't really see how anyone could find that fun... Those who liked ME1-3, KOTOR and SWTOR are definitely not going to like it. It's a mediocre game in every possible way.

sverek and haste like this.
  15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Angantyr likes this.

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    GOTY 2019

[​IMG]

cerebus23 and Anarion like this.
  17. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Honestly, I think its commendable that in 7 days of that thread being posted. They gathered the feedback, communicated their opinion and what they would do about it. Then made two followup posts yesterday, where they describe what has, so far, been implemented for release;

PC UI Updates for Launch
    PC Controls Update - Aiming and Flight

Amaze and SpajdrEX like this.
  18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Not always i see that they fix so much stuff already from any company, good work Bioware :)

19. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Tried the demo and was underwhelmed by the core gameplay. The experience can be boiled down to "stand in an enclosed area and fight off enemies until the process you're waiting for is completed", or "kill X number of Y enemies" or "gather these items and return". Anthem, maybe aside from the flight, literately offers nothing new from what I've already done in games like Destiny 2 or The Division.

This is not to speak of the insane graphical downgrade from E3 2017 reveal trailer in which they assured us the graphical presentation would be preserved.

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    constant stutter, deleted the demo after a few minutes