Antec TPQ 1000W Melted 6+2 Pin PCI E Connector

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mutate44, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    I have been running this PSU for a few years and have noticed that one of the 6+2 pin PCI E connector looks a little melted at the end. I have it connected to my 680 and everything seems to be running fine. Should I be a little worried and just use the other 6+2 Pin connecter and hook up another 6 pin PCI E connecter. I just don't want anything to go wrong and was wondering if it would be alright just to run it with the melted connecter plugged in.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I would be very worried. Time to break out the multimeter.

I would disconnect it immediately. Use the paper clip trick to fool the PSU in to thinking its connected and check those voltages ASAP.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    You do have two 6+2 PCI-E connectors connected at the moment, correct?

The connector has probably got a little too warm over time by having a full current load. The wires may be able to take the current safely, the problem is the little metal nibs for connection on the inside of the plug. These little nibs heat up when taking the full current, obviously a little too much by the sounds of the plug. Unfortunately this is the nature of the plugs. This may only be an issue for you because different power supplies will have different connector nibs of course (thicker, different alloys etc), such that others may not, and should not, have the same issue.

If it were the case of a simple overvoltage from the PSU, which is a remote possibility, it is much more likely your card would fry first than the connector plug melting.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    If its making poor contact it will draw more current and thats what likely causing it to melt. I would just use one of your other good connectors and keep an eye on it.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    That's true, a poor connection is the same as having bad nibs. It's not that it will draw more current, just the current is transferred over a smaller contact area (and beyond the ability of that connective surface to take the current). The result is it will heat up. Even though the power is actively coming from the cable, you could consider the graphics card as 'pulling the power', as opposed to the PSU pushing the power. It's just like comparing a mobile phone charger to a kettle, both plug into the power point but the phone charger may only use 1W of power, whereas the kettle may use 2.4KW. You aren't pushing 2.4KW through the mobile phone charger! This is why the connection does matter. In your case it would only be a problem (in terms of heating up) when the card is under load. If the melting is 'bad' there is the potential for a short to happen in the plug.

6. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    Yeah I looked at the the melted connector again and 2 metal nibs look a little black. Kind of funny I finally took out my 680 and just noticed that the connector was a little melted. My 580 died months ago using the same power supply so then I went ahead and bought the 680. Just kind of curious lol, Im not using that connector anymore just to be sure using my other 6+2 pin and 6 pin connector.