Antec Kuhler

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xKrNMBoYx, Sep 26, 2010.

1. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    Hello there, I ordered a Antec Three Hundred Illusion case two days ago. Now I am going to purchase a 5.25" to 3.5" inch adapter for the case so I can put in my card reader. Than I'm going to stealth my dvd-rw drive. I'm thinking about getting my side door modded with a window on it and a fan or vent.

Currently I have my Phenom II x6 1055T OC'ed to 3.2Ghz. I'm thinking about raising the clock, but I am only using the stock fan/heatsink.

I am interested in the Antec Kuhler series, trying to go all antec..haha..i did that with gigabyte

Well there is the Kuhler Box, Flow, and Shelf. All of them have their pro's and cons.

The box is the biggest and the one that cools the most
    The Shelf saves the most space
    Flow its normal

Their all the same price on newegg

the Antec Kuhler Box would be the way to go right? It can fit in any case that is wider than 7"..and the 300 is like 8.1 or something so it should be good right?

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, normally i wouldnt limit myself in such a way... but then again... half my PC is thermaltake XD

hmm, the kuhler box looks to be the one to get. but double check the mounting directing if you can. the issue with amd mobos is that if you use the default latch position, some coolers will mount in such a away where the exhaust air hits the top of your case (not an issue if you have a top fan like mine), but if your case only has a rear fan, that could create unnecessary turbulence.

the mounting holes for a baseplate on socket am3 are also not perfectly square, theyre rectangular, so you may not be able to rotate the cooler if its aiming at the wrong direction (intel have it easy here).

edit: from looking hard at the design of the kuhler box, if it uses the latch system, it should be mounting in the right direction (exhaust at rear), but given its weight, it may just use a backplate.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    hehe this back plate and latch I dont get so much. If you want to explain than you can, if not I can find out when I purchase one I guess. As I said in my starting post I bought a Antec Three Hundred Illusion so there is a top fan. I'll be using both top and rear fan as an exhaust and the front two to bring air in.

I guess there won't be much of a problem than.

Also, I don't think mine is a fully AM3 motherboard. It's a AM2+/AM2 and AM3 compatible I think. But it does have AM3 somewhere on the board I think.

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, am3 has less pins than am2+ iirc, so it should be fine as long as your bios is updated.

nice to know there is a top fan so it doesnt matter too much about direction of flow.

basically, when you installed your factory amd cooler, you would notice that all you had to do was place the cooler on top, and lock the latch down into the plastic thing around the cpu. this is what i mean by latch type cooler. simple to install, no backplate necessary.

however, some aftermarket coolers are too heavy, and rather than relying on this, you have to remove the four screws in the plastic ring thingy surrounding the cpu. you then have to remove the motherboard, place the cpu on top, place the top plate over where those screw holes were, then place the backplate over the backside of the motherboard where those holes are, and bolt/screw it down. it takes a fair bit of effort, but its better for heavy coolers as theres no risk of it falling off and damaging other parts.

backplate type coolers are generally easier to install in newer cases as they have a window on the backside of the motherboard for easy access to the screws, so you dont need to remove the motherboard.

5. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    that's great news. I think my new case has the part opened up so i can install backplates easily, but I will have to remove my motherboard to move my components to the new case (case hasnt arrived yet) so I can install it both ways..but I didnt buy the heatsink yet so installing it through the windows is the way to go for me.

6. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    hrm..well not a lot of people have bought the kuhler box yet..but they have bought the version of it before it was manufactured and renamed by Antec.

How is Antecs Performance Max Cooler..it has a blue led fan between/inside the heatsink..it would look great with the blue lights in my case...

would i be able to overclock my 1055t to like 3.8 or even 4ghz with the antec performance max cooler?

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    to get to 4ghz will depend on more than just your cooler. not every part will overclock the same, even if they appear identical from the outside. to get a 1055t to 4ghz, you'll need to crank up the fsb a lot, and at that point, it depends on whether your mobo has enough multipliers for you to drop the speed of everything else.

but its pointless to go to 4ghz. no games take advantage of hexacores yet, so theres no benefit unless youre running at least trifire.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Speed and cores give independent benefits. A game that doesn't show improvement from 4 cores can still benefit from a speed increase. If your chip can do 4ghz comfortably, then go for it. The benefit is small, of course, but its there in some games.

9. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    God..do I need to put the fact that i dont really play games on my signature.
    I'm sure they all can overclock to 4Ghz, but some may be easier or harder. My Main use of my computer is 3D Rendering, AutoCad, Photo Design, Video Design Editing, A little gaming, and normal PC use.

So basically having more cores do help in the stuff I do..and by the time I use the computer more for Rendering work I'm sure majority of the software will be programmed to use a hexacore or more.

I have a GA-MA770-UD3. But I don't have good ram yet, so when I get 16GB's of ram I'll choose one with a good speed and latency.

Though I may end up upgrading to a DDR3 setup and a dx11 workstation card in a few years