Ansel / Freestyle / Questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by blue_kid, Aug 8, 2021.

1. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hello everyone, I'd like to ask you 2 questions about Ansel / Freestyle

1 - I have many FX presets in the Ansel folder, but I can't see all of them when I open the GeForce Experience Freestyle menu ( Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 )

2 - Even after I removed ( did some tests ) the Ansel folder, from nVidia Corporation folder, I can see / use / all the settings I have, and the presets ( which are working ) are available.

Could anyone tell me where exactly are the presets located ? If the Ansel folder is not present, than there must be a different location. ( Cached, maybe ? ) I really hope I could use all the presets I have inside the Ansel folder. I have about 70 but I can see only about 25.

Thank you

2. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Pretty sure Ansel presets folder varies between DCH and non DCH drivers for some reason.
    Also any game that has ANY network activity will automatically disallow freestyle/ansel from using effects that require depth buffer, this is a heavy handed blanket approach against people using them to cheat in competitive games.

3. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I have the DCH driver
    MSFS 2020 has nothing to do with cheating, etc.
    I'm not sure what's the difference between DCH and non DCH drivers

4. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1060 6G
    I assume you're talking about Reshade shaders, not built-in ones? Not all games support every single filter from Reshade.
    I think it caches active shaders here, some parts of it at least: AppData\Local\Temp\NvCamera
    But it also depends on how you installed those Reshade shaders. With DCH they're supposed to go into Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Ansel\Custom which makes it work in both 32/64bit games but you can also separate it in Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Ansel\ and Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Ansel which creates separate instances for 64 and 32bit games respectively, so if you have it installed like this and only delete custom filters from Program Files (x86) and your game is a 64bit one then your filters will obviously stay because they are hooked up from the Program Files folder not x86 one.
    Different folder structure pretty much.

5. blue_kid

blue_kid Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    You're right, windrunnerxj
    They are located in AppData\Local\Temp\NvCamera
    And yes, I wanted to use some ReShade shaders and I don't know how. I thought they're working with all the games / simulators.
    The ReShade shaders are located in Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Ansel\Custom
    Anyway, I'll keep trying. I wish I could use ReShade for MSFS 2020 but I can't
    I purchased it from Microsoft Store, so , I can't access the .exe file when I install ReShade
    One last question, maybe you can help : whenever MSFS 2020 update the simulator ( update it's mandatory ) I lose all the FreeStyle / Ansel settings, and I need to do again all the settings, which is very annoying.
    Is there a way to "restore " the Freestyle settings, after the MSFS 2020 update ??
    Thank you so much

6. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1060 6G
    I don't think I ever lost my Freestyle settings after game updates but it always happens during driver updates.
    No idea how to backup the settings, I saw a lot of discussion about it online but nobody could figure out how to do this.
    GFE core app is lacking in many areas, like the aforementioned Freestyle settings import/export or improvements to built-in gallery (you can do a quick video edit and upload it online but for whatever reason you can't save it on your PC), webcam selection that people have complained about for ages, letting users tweak optimal game settings manually instead of presets... Nvidia doesn't seem super interested in making improvements to the core app.

blue_kid likes this.