Another Reason SecuROM is horibble...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TurboPenguin, Sep 19, 2008.

1. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    Let me first start off that I do NOT play spore, but my wife can't get enough of the game. Ok so last week I started having random Explorer.exe crashes. I kept searching for the root of the problem but couldn't find anything concrete of what was going on. This morning I get on and everytime I right clicked, explorer.exe crashes like a SoB! So, now im like wtf MS windows you blow! Well i finally after about 2 hours of searching called MS support, wait the 500 hours to talk to a guy in India. Well After another 500 hours we pinpoint the problem. Apparently SecuROM uses a Shell Extension that is faulty. As soon as i disabled the SecuROM shell extension, BAM everything works perfect. I played around with it again and it works like a charm! Now if I am a legitimate user and have to go though these kind of hoops to get a game from f***ing my system up then screw EA. I mean seriously is there any QA at EA or SecuROM? Apparently MS knows about the issue and has informed SecuROM of the error. So i guess that means that it will get fixed in the next game that has SecuROM. Or knowing EA it will get overlooked and another screwed game will be released before it should have.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    how did you fix this ? what extention was broken ?

3. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    wow this indeed sounds nasty, good you fixed it though ;)

5. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    Same thing happened with the 1.1 patch of Mass Effect, they released a 1.1a to fix it, there were some work arounds on the ME forums too :( utter pain in the backside.

6. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    talk about a rootkit. this is why i am not going to buy an EA game if they continue to put such things in their games.

7. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950