Another one of those "Is this a decent start for my watercooling loop" threads :P

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by DannyBoy27, Nov 2, 2009.

1. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Ye - i have considered that. Which is why i wanna get some high spec parts - so that if i eventually move to another case and setup in a year or 2 - i can just take across the rads, block and perhaps pump and res. As well as all the knowledge from my first WC build experience :p

Its just loads of cash to sink into the system - that extra GPU blocks raped most of my remaining budget for the WC setup - but i should have 2 very decent loops running by the end of it.

What kind of temps could i be expecting?

2. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I'd guess your cpu loop will be 30c or less, gpu loop maybe 35c-40c, depending on parts. If you put 'em together in one loop, I'd guess an average of 35c-40c with a 4x120 at load. I can't be too sure, but it will definitely be more stable temps and cooler than air.

3. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Thx dude - i really appreciate all the input from you guys!! So valuable when doing this kind of thing.

Ive already started prepping my case for the 360 - so im gonna have to continue down that path. I reckon i could maybe fit a 240 inside my case - or maybe 2x120s ( although i read that stacking adversely affects your flow rate ).

Ill do some measurements at home - exciting - cant wait for my stuff!

4. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Sweet! No problem, I like to help. A 3x120 will do fine, that's what I'm on, and a cheaper one at that, but my gpu never exceeds 46c(we all know how hot 8800's run), and cpu hovers around 32c on load, so you'll be good to go, assuming you get the radiator shown in the post earlier, it is way better than mine.

You also HAVE to post pics, or we will leave a flaming bag of dog poo on your porch.:nerd:

5. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    with a CPU-only loop w/ feser 120.3 extreme, E8500 @ 4.16 1.35v i never hit over 45c gaming, 58c in IBT, since the phenom runs really cool you should be hitting around 40c load on that chip, pending. ;)

6. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    I read about half of what everyone here said..
    and yes u can use 7/16 tubing without clamps its been done a million times...it looks amazing and the size difference is 1/8th..thats it...now..imo its you're first time..make it easy on your self and get 1/2 tubing with clamps..just because you're new..but if you enjoy the look of clampless it can be done with the 7/16 tubing and it is a pain n the ass to put it over a 1/2 barb..

i can guarantee you everyone here NOT recommending it has NEVER tried it before..now im not saying you should do it..but it can be done...

and it looks like uve ordered already ..the only thing i can say is i would have gotten a better cpu block...that one is good but theres quiet a few better ones on the market now..however no big deal..enjoy your build and make sure you leak test for a WHILE before starting your computer...

7. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    oh yea..as far as temps..this totally depends on your ambient's..but with your rad you could cool cpu/mobo/gpu all within reasonable temps..

8. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Ok, update - my D5 pump is only coming on the 16th :( Apparently there is a shortage of them at the moment in the UK. But this at least gives me some time to do some more checking and planning.

I am getting the typhoon III res with the dual loop support but ill stick to one loop for the moment and plug the second. So ill check the temps on the single loop and if its not satisfactory then i can think about where to install a second 360, or a 240 rad and add on the second loop. Ive got 4m of tygon so ill have some spare for the second loop in the future.

Ive also done a little extra digging and decided to swap out the HeatKiller v3 cpu block instead of the Dtek fuzion v2. The HeatKiller has better reviews all around and is the same price basically.

Ill start posting pics of my progress once is start modding the case and building the loop. Might be some delay as im waiting for the pump but ill make sure i keep updating so i dont get some digital dog poo slapped at me ;P

Question : Could someone give me a quick run down on compression fittings versus normal barbs etc. At the moment ive order the GPU block, CPU block and the 360 rad to have 1/2" nickel plated barbs pre-installed. Whats the difference between compression fittings and normal barbs - do i need to consider them?
    Also - if im going to buy 4 metal fittings for my Typhoon III res, am i buying for example some of these : "1/4" BSPP - 1/2" Highflow Hose Tail "

There are a few options on the link page.
    http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=39_53

9. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thats almost the same gear as my loop, works very well.

Yeah get those clamps on TIGHT and run the pump for an hour or so too insure no leaks before powering up your rig. If your components get wet when not conducting then they won't be ruined - just have to dry them off.

I have that same hose cutter and its perfect for even cuts, TIP: it can be really hard getting the tube over the barb, soaking the end in warm water for a couple minutes makes it ALOT easier.