Another one of those "Is this a decent start for my watercooling loop" threads :P

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by DannyBoy27, Nov 2, 2009.

1. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Yip, as the title states - im bored of my air setup.

Im anxious to OC my chip a good deal more and my temps are already borderline acceptable.

So ive done a fair amount of reading and researching and im gonna do some cutting and put a tripple rad on top of my Antec 182p case. Simple loop to the cpu block to start with should be fine for a beginner i reckon - although i would like to wc my 295 at some stage too ( not sure if its good to jump straight into a complicated loop yet... ). I want to use a normal reservoir as apposed to a t-fill and just get a nice simple loop with a pretty decent flow rate.

Here is my current proposed build. Any insight and opinions, critism/pointers would be MUCH APPRECIATED for this water cooling noob :)

[​IMG]

2. boldnuts

boldnuts Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Most of the kit you have picked is fine, try distilled/de-ionised water with a silver coil and anti corrosion drops instead of coloured coolant which just stains/blocks up the internals over time, it’s worth cooling your GTX295 as this is one card that really rocks on water.
    Try 7/16” id tubing as its saves on buying extra jubilee clips, just heat the end up with hot water fit onto the 1/2” barbs and the jobs done, try tie raps for extra security if you like.

3. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Thanks for the feedback. Ill take the advice on the coolant etc!

What are the advantages of 7/16” tubing as apposed to the 1/2" ID tubing? Will I have to alter my bard sizes?

Also, am i doing the right thing in selecting the 1/2" barbs for those selected items in the list. The option was there but not sure if im meant to buy a bunch of my own barbs and attach them or what?

4. boldnuts

boldnuts Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    the 7/16" tubing is a much tighter fit over the 1/2" barbs, so u don't need the clips to hold it on, its also easy to fit/bend and keep tidy. yeh u will need to get 1/2" barbs as they don't come with the bits n bobs that you are ordering.

5. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

NEVER, EVER, go without clamps, that is stupid. Very stupid.

6. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    LOL, i dont know much yet - but im definately clamping and cable tying the fcuk out of my connections. Its just something about mixing conductive liquid and my much loved & costly PC that makes me extra cautious about leak potential.

Are the steel clamps better than these new slick plastic ring clip thingies? Seems to be lots of opinions on the matter.

7. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    this, and due to being careful with my loop i have never had a leak.
    always be overkill with leak protection(make sure everything is tight, hose clamps, wire ties will due.

looks good, just make sure to get fittings. :p

8. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I use the "new slick plastic ring clip thingies", they're called Herbie Clips, and they are awesome. They aren't as butt fugly as steel clamps, and are easier to use.

9. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Same here. ALWAYS USE CLAMPS!!:banana:

10. boldnuts

boldnuts Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    well you will found that most of the water cooling pros, use a very similar setup cooling wise to what I am using, you will be very surprised how tight 5/17" tubing is over 1/2" barbs, you can’t pull them off or put them on without heating the ends, as I said you can use tie raps as well with this being a new build for you. I have been using 5/17" size tubing over 1/2" barbs for years and have never had a leak yet, so get your facts right before opening your mouth

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009

11. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    make sure not to tighen the fittings to much(if you are doing w/ a wrench) i nearly ruined my swiftech GTZ's threads due to them being plastic. but tight is always good.

you mean these?
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/heclnyhoclsi3.html

i got some, they are VERY hard to clamp down, yet very tight on the tubing. wire ties are easier to work with, though.

this is true, but alot of us like using 1/2 tubing with out 1/2 fittings. ;)

12. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

All it takes is one leak, and besides, why should I trust or believe you? I have a lot of money in my PC, and don't care to leave it unprotected. You can do so, I don't care, but it is irresponsible to advise someone to not use them.

Also, what is 5/17"? I don't have a ruler with those graduations, could you show me one?

You really shouldn't get lippy with me in someone else's thread, it is disrespectful.

13. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Yep, those. They are easier to clamp if you use slip-jaw pliers, and they are very tight in the tubes. Zip ties will work, but I think they are almost as ugly as steel clamps, and they can leave a "hump" in the tubing, allowing a leak. I've seen them used successfully though, but I prefer Herbies.

14. boldnuts

boldnuts Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Your the one calling me "stupid", and if you had read all the post correctly I also told him to use tie raps as well!

I guess your just one of these spotty kids who cant control his mouth

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I didn't call you stupid, get over yourself. Tie WRAP, btw. How can I read your post "correctly" when you have terrible grammar and spelling?

/argument:nerd:

16. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

This all looks okay, except the steel clamps, but that is up to you. The tubing cutters are not necessary, just use large scissors and cut carefully, or use a straight razor blade and push it through.

*Edit* Don't bother with that add in coolant stuff, try distilled water and automotive antifreeze, at about 5:1.

17. boldnuts

boldnuts Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Getting personal now. I must have hit a raw nerve , Mods can you lock this thread please

18. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    yep, pretty much anything sharp can cut the tubing.

everyone else is calm. no need for lock.

19. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Don't flatter yourself.

20. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    what the cost on a set up like this?