Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. teots

teots Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I disabled HPET in bios and windows for the best overall computer performance.
    Everything run fine for me so far. I would assume that turning HPET on/off is like
    turning vsync on/off.

2. PanosXidis

PanosXidis Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti vulcan
    @OnnA i have same latency default bcdedit and with tweaks

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Some people will tell you that your mouse input is now flawed vs. HPET on. But yes, I found turning it off in bios to cause 0 issues too. Though newer mainboards generally don't have that toggle anymore.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    I have a little better with Tweak. Leave it be for now (Tweaked) and play some games.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3060 XC
    I've had this happen back on an old Phenom II/HD 6000 computer. I ended up making a batch file to delete the key and had it in the autostart folder, so the key would be re-deleted on log-in. If I remember correctly, it was AMD's graphics driver that enforced HPET and caused it to appear on-reboot, and there was a significant difference on that computer with removing that entry.

I had forgotten about this topic.

Wouldn't the first useplatformclock false be unnecessary if it's getting deleted right after that?

This is the worst performance degradation I've ever seen on my computer. Took me 30 seconds to get from the into screen to main menu on Dota 2 (normally 3-5 seconds), and Timer bench goes from 23M to 400K.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  6. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Member

GPU:
    gtx750ti 1346/3306
    personally i prefer hpet on on systems with overclocked fsb. resolution of the timer is set to 14.31mhz.
    lower resolution timers result in lower accuracy and fps are rounded up. but it is only less precise numbers the real speed does not change.