Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Thank you for your replies, I will try DPC thing. As for IRQ, I don't know what that means, unfortunately. Also yes, I already disabled many services and followed some optimization guides (which I didn't think I would with this system, but oh well). I even used a Windows Tweaker tool which fortunately didn't break my system. In fact, I think it improved some things which I did not expect at all. Anyways, it did not harm so that's good. I even tried gaming on a very fresh Windows install, only drivers and programs that are needed for the game specifically, but nothing. My system is having really odd issues indeed. You know that animation when you right mouse click on your desktop and it brings up a menu like refresh, paste, etc.? That fading animation is also kinda not smooth, as if it was 30fps rather than my stock 75. My father's Celeron notebook runs that animation much smoother even with a 60hz display. And scrolling in Chrome is also smoother for him. My "kinda powerful" PC is definitely not working like one.

So leave useplatformtick on yes, enable HPET in BIOS and then run bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock? Thank you.

EDIT: I may try these versions again. As for resetting BIOS, it never helped unfortunately.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Go to Device Manager, switch view to "Resources by type" (in View menu), expand "Interrupt request (IRQ)" root node and scroll down to PCI devices - if several devices have the same IRQ number it is called "shared IRQ".
    Also if you see a positive IRQ numbers for some PCI devices then such devices use legacy mode for interrupts. You can try to switch them to MSI mode with the help of https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ge-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/

kelzthetraxer likes this.
  3. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Okay, there are actually two devices which share the same number (16): High Definition Audio Controller and Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and 6 devices have a positive number in total. So I'll try switching those to MSI mode, that's something I've never thought of before except for the GPU, I did switch it to MSI mode once to no avail. Anyway, big thanks.

EDIT: TL;dr everything is much faster and more responsive after these tweaks! Very glad I posted here, you guys are really helpful. I tried other forums but no one came close to these things, everyone only suggested basic things like reinstall drivers and yada yada. You guys are the next level.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Okay, so after doing that MSI thing, there are 3 devices now that are still on a positive number and I cannot see them in MSI mode utility tool. Is that ok?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Can you list them or paste a screenshot?

6. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    This is how it looks right now (I set RX580 on HIGH, else is on default)
    . Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Only one device from Device Manager not in MSI tool - SMBus Host Controller.

Do not bother with interrupt priority. We have no clue whether it works and how it supposed to work.

Upd: Do you really need integrated GPU? It is better to disable devices not in use.

8. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    I see, thank you. And no, I absolutely do not needed it, but my MB doesn't have an option to disable iGPU completely, only to lower the use of RAM, which wasn't doing me good, so I had to change it the minimum of 32MB. That's the best option I have.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @kelzthetraxer

I have never seen "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" devices.

Have you installed any ASRock software provided with motherboard? Usually this is bad idea.

10. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    No, absolutely no motherboard software is installed here. Rapid storage and some other features are disabled. BIOS is updated to the latest one.

Judging from Google searches, it may be related to AMD. I do know for sure that AMD driver does install some sorta "PCI chipset" driver (it sometimes gives me a notification about it after I install the driver).

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @kelzthetraxer

OK. Try to spy after interrupts (while playing a game, for example, or browsing and scrolling) to see whether there are long ISRs or DPCs.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @kelzthetraxer

One last advise from me.
    Check OS component store state (in elevated command prompt):
    Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

and if it will show errors then repair with
    Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

13. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Do you think it will help? My Windows install is fairly new and stutters still happen even on a fresh install, but you know all this better, so I can't argue with you.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If you use 3rd party tweaking tools anything is possible. This check is "just in case", I run it from time to time.

15. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Okay, I will try this when I'll be out of options, mainly because everything actually works better after these tweaks so right now I think I won't do it. Right now I will work on spying interrupts as you suggested, thank you.

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    You have not updated any drivers. Literally zero. Why haven't you gone to the manufactuters page of your mobo and not gotten any drivers? This generally helps a lot. All of your drivers are basic, MS standard drivers.

17. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    I absolutely did download the chipset and intel management drivers and install them. I always do that. I don’t know why it shows It like that.

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Strange. What about lan and audio drivers? Generally the newer ones are better, as for SATA drivers, just leave the one from MS, I have noticed those are more stable.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    How do you say - by the screenshot of MSI tool (or even Device Manager) - that he has not updated any drivers?
    Because of "- 1.0 (Microsoft)" part?

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    What is your mobo?