1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. artina90

artina90 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 Windforce 1.55Ghz
    With HPET ON my 7820X gets less than half the fps in TimerBench compared to running it with HPET off or default.
    HPET completely kills gaming performance on X299 systems and I suspect it might get increasingly worse as the core count goes up.
    This is 100% repeatable and the difference is extremely noticeable, well beyond snake oil levels.
    I don't know if Ryzen/6-8 cores non X Intel CPUs behave in the same way but I definitely suggest all X299 users to avoid forcing HPET on.

Xtreme512 and evgenim like this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Since HPET is out of CPU no matter what CPU is in use when you force the HPET ON.

3. SunRedux

SunRedux Member

GPU:
    GTX 860m / 4 GB
    So what is the deal with the counter being stuck on 10Mhz on the newer Windows versions? My system feels like it's struggling to do anything now.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ignore it, the counter is virtualized now.

5. SunRedux

SunRedux Member

GPU:
    GTX 860m / 4 GB
    Ah okay, so basically nothing's changed if I don't have HPET turned on, that's good to know. Many thanks!

Edit : Also made sure to check via Coreinfo.exe from https://live.sysinternals.com/

6. yobooh

yobooh Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 @1500mhz
    I too feels HPET off makes things more responsive in games.
    My question it's why RTTS still suggest to leave it on for perfect VSYNC?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you set /useplatformclock true, then sure.
    if you leave well enough alone and just have hpet do its own thing, placebo.

8. almightywumbo

almightywumbo New Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2060 6GB
    From BlurBuster's themselves: "Most systems already have high precision clocks (HPET, TSC, etc). However, if you intentionally manually disabled this setting in your BIOS, turn it back on. High-precision clocks are needed for microsecond-accurate stutter-free frame rate capping."
    https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/

I'm also a little skeptical of this. Do you think this applies to all G-Sync users as well?

I really wish BB would investigate HPET because it's generally understood that HPET on can increase input lag (I can attest to this on my rig as well) but there isn't a lot of good information online about it. Especially with Windows 10 supposedly using a software clock.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    yobooh likes this.