Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    32-Bit vs 64-Bit.

Lot of Pagefaults with 32-Bit while the Kernel Timer is still low, but the ISR is in the 600 again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No doubt 64-Bit + Platform Clock On works best for me.

What i havn't tested yet is HPET On and Platform Clock Off. I noticed with WinTimerTester it took longer to get a 1.0000 Ratio with HPET On. It took over 140 Seconds while with HPET Off it took only 30 Seconds to stabalize. But guess once it's stable it doesn't matter anymore untill you reboot.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    hmm interesting. nice to see 64bit is working fine against 32bit

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Here is HPET 64-Bit with Platform Clock Off.

[​IMG]

The Low and Highs are pretty stable like with Platform Clock On, but the Pagefaults are going again.

So i'm gonna stick with 64-Bit + Platform Clock On.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    Btw what NIC (realtek) driver are you using, it looks like your NIC has high DPC spikes. Realtek did something with 7.056+ and it spikes to 600us every 5-7seconds, 7.053 is immune.
    If you're using the latest 7.058 or 7.061 try to downgrade to older 7.053.
    Well 32 bit is for 32bit OS, 64bit for 64bit OS. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I'm using 7.061.

It seems Gigabyte has a 7.049 on their site.

EDIT:

Found a 7.053 and now LatencyMon doesn't mention that LAN error anymore, just the CPU Throttling, but that's because i got C1E enabled. I don't need it to run 3.8 GHz when i'm not doing anything.

Thanks for the tip ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    You might already know but C3/C6 saves a lot more energy than C1 (about 30W more in my system).

Below are my results. C1E and EIST were always off, and stuff like my browser, Winamp, and Real-Time HDR IBL was always running during the tests.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I posted this week or 2 ago in another post, And I tested these setting out but with the older dpcchecker, Which told me I have better latency with HPET off all together. and with it on I have 130 us.

Well I got Latmon and test with it all off and it told me I had like 800us with winamp and Swtor running and like 5000+pagefaults. I turned Hpet on in bios and Win7 and now I have like 19 us with Winamp and swtor running and and pagefualts seem to be much lower too.

Apparently Dpc Checker was lying According Latmon my us is usually under 100 now gona do some more testing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mouse feels much smoother/accurate with Hpet on kind feels to smooth now so it kinda odd. Windows loading seem the same with it on and off, Though Windows oddly loaded faster with Hpet on in windows and off in bios. usual soon as windows animation is done it goes in to windows, with Hpet on in windows and off in bios it went in to windows before the animation even finished. maybe it was my imagination as I only did one boot that way, not that it matters SSD boot and shut down windows super fast and anything else installed on the SSD othen then Swtor that just has terrible loading times be it on SSD or HDD.

I have not tested the games for stutter yet but I will do that next. Only games I played that had studder was the witcher Which i think i fixed for most part with prerender of 1 and AVP use to stutter like mad on my 9800gt but 450gts it fine and Swtor always stutter when anything loading on screen. I report back after more testing

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    With in 5 minutes or running latmon with winamp and swtor running it was complain about ndis.sys have huge latency spikes and mentioned network and or cpu causing it, but I have no power saving features for cpu enabled. so i figure network drivers.

Seeing as I had been using 7.46 realtek drivers for network I went and found the 7.53 drivers and installed those, now latmon been running for about 25min with winamp and swtor running and it has not made no mention of network or cpu latency issues.

General now highest dpc lantecy is be reported for nvidia drivers other then that. all seem good cant say I see difference with hpet on other then wintesttimer saying 14mhz now and latmon say i have general lower latency.

I leave it like this for while.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    With C1E Off and C3/C6 On my CPU stays at 3,8 GHz in idle.

10. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr

11. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Apparently I have always had HPET turned on in BIOS, but not enabled in Windows. Enabling it seemed to give me questionable 60fps microstuttering. Nothing else really felt different, maybe the mouse, but I think that was placebo.

When I disabled it I went in and disabled it in BIOS as well. Would having it enabled in BIOS but not enabled within windows cause any problems?

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

This all depend on the hardware.some work better with it some with out some with one on and one off

13. snorge

snorge Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    lol I tried turning HPET off in the bios to test on Windows 8 and it went terrible. I got bad graphic lag using google chrome and streaming music using Spotify resulted in playback to be filled with crackles almost like bad radio reception. This didn't happen in Windows 7.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ok so which one is correct DPC Checker says I have 130 latency with Hpet on win and bios, But Latmon says I have 10 latency. Which one is correct lol

15. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    DPC Checker is old software not compatible with windows 7

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    some more testing with latencymon

32bit hpet bios + off windows= 10latency, spikes up to 100 frequently crazy page faults tho 1000000highest

62bit hpet bios + off windows = 800ish latency, pagefaults no where near as bad as 32bit.

Hpet off all together 800ish latency

62bit hept bios+ on in windows= 10 ish latency

Dont see difference in game play only thing i notice is mouse seem smoother more accurate. and wintimertest say 14mhz

Highest dpc latency comes from nvidia drivers 306.23 highest i seen it hit is 500 ~1.2k so it would seem the highest latency no matter what is coming from the nvidia drivers.

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    my results:

HPET OFF

[​IMG]

HPET 64bit in bios

[​IMG]

HPET 64bit +windows

[​IMG]

this is after using an internet browser, winamp and dosbox with max cpu cycles in an intensive game.

18. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    Although it's an old buggy console port and most people probably aren't playing it anymore, the biggest issue that has plagued Saint's Row 2 since Windows 7 was released is that it runs way too fast, however after turning on HPET in my BIOS and using setplatformclock true it actually runs at the correct speed.

19. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    after looking at your data for a while, i suddenly realized that you ran HPET off for double the time of the other two tests , yet, even though it ran for double the time , you had approx. 7 times less hard page faults with HPET off!

20. Vbs

Vbs Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    nVidia has a "Timer Function Performance" utility that can be very useful in testing the timer resolution differences:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/timer_function_performance.html