Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    So err, do I win?

[​IMG]

I've tried bcdedit /set useplatformclock true and false, that made 0 difference for me, only the timeGetTime resolution varied by 5.0us, so I'm guessing something is up in my BIOS.

I've got a Gigabyte Z87X-OC on F6 bios, and no idea where to look for HPET, but these results look good aye?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    In my case, setting 'useplatformclock' to true, results in a consistent 5% or so loss in FPS in several games that I tried.

3. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    err I like your black and green theme... what is it?

4. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I have used this nvidia theme by yogarsh. He constantly updates his 'profile' with new themes and posts them on /r/pcmasterrace and /r/pcgaming . He is currently working on an AMD theme.

I used the 7tsp installer. In case you use Win8, there is a port linked in description.

Also bonus sceenshot of how it looks on my PC.

5. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    "Could you tell me what hpet is? We could grant you our prompt work on your request as soon as the content itself is understood.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let
    us know. We will be more than happy to assist you.
    Thanks!
    Wish you a nice day!

Best regards
    A random drone
    Customer Service Center
    ASUSTek Computer Inc."

6. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090

ASUS really are the biggest idiots sometimes, customer support is zero.
    i'm giving them a miss next upgrade.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, I'm on my laptop and can't really recall how HPET behavior was (whether it was enabled or not), but after installing that OpenCL 2.0 driver to my laptop, I don't have the useplatformclock entry in bcdedit. So it might be possible newer drivers aren't enforcing HPET anymore.

My desktop GPU is in RMA currently so I can't really test what the driver would do over there.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Wait what?! this proves my theory the people that do support at these tech companies are idiots they just read stuff off screen and know nothing about what they are supporting.

So Asus/Gigabyte mb dont have hpet option in bios anymore?

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    This is a Asus z97 pro and I know that Asus z97-a doesnt have this option either. I dont know about gigabyte.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i know there are complaints about no HPET option gigabyte MB, my old ASus PQ5Q deluxe has it. I been hearing things about it slowly being removed from the bioses

11. wellison

wellison Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 ASUS Strix 4gb
    So my rig is Asus AMD FX8320 on ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and Nvidia GTX 770 on windows 8.1 x64 all stock updates.
    I read entire post and dont understand. Pls clarify my noobish, its all default settings HPET enabled in BIOS, qhat is better set "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" ou "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" ??

12. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Try it out, its dependant on hardware what works for you.

13. red5goahead

red5goahead Guest

GPU:
    Asus R7 270x
    Hi guys

Sorry but I'll try to resume this thread for an issue related to.

Look at this post originally on eightforums.com

"I've a stability issue (freeezing) with my Asus M5A97 R 2.0 and Windows 8.1 and I'm trying to figure out if it is related to the timing (my hunch)

My motherboard have the hpet option in the southbridge sub-menu and the default value it's ´enable´.
    When I installed Windows 8.1 I got automatically useplatformclock yes value in the bcdedit /enum result.
    When I start to play War Thunder game I had some issue and in their forum told me that could be related to the timer used by the system, and it was true. Disabling hpet in the bios and deleting useplatformclock value the problem with this game it was solved.

Wintimertester return me odd result

bios hpet enabled & useplatformclock yes --> 14.1 Mhz.
    bios hpet enabled & no useplatformclock value --> 4.1 Mhz.
    bios hpet disabled & useplatformclock yes --> 3.57 Mhz (but sometimes 14.1 Mhz)
    bios hpet disabled & no useplatformclock value --> 4.1 Mhz.

the last one

bios hpet disabled & no useplatformclock value

it's the best setting for that game and seems better one for the stability (freezing)

the question is : why useplatformclock yes sometimes come back in the bcdedit /enum list without any manual configuration ?

thank you"

that recap my issue.

basically due freezing my best configuration is hpet disable in the bios (instead my asus mobo is enabled by default) and useplatformclock disabled into bcd store

But sometimes when boot Windows the useplatformclock yes entry come back.

do you know why? Why Windows 8.1 boot sometimes resume the useplatformclock yes that besides should be a "debugging option"

14. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    It is caused by AMD driver, you can read about it in this thread, just a few page before this.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So drivers can add bootloader options now?

16. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Based on the research on that post, it can be the CCC or driver, not sure which one is doing it...

And the old AMD Dual-Core Optimizer did add a line into boot.ini to use HPET for Windows XP, so it is possible that AMD is doing the same thing again.

17. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    What is the general consensus?
    HPET is to be activated or deactivated?
    Is there a poll?

Edit: I generally take it that anything related to precision or accuracy is actually detrimental to performance, slower than usual. I assume this only for servers or scientific/computational/industrial/etc purposes where clocks need to be synced between all the electronics (especially related to communication) on the motherboards.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Briefly, HPET was not about precision or accuracy when it came to light. It was about failure behavior of old TSC counters in multicore configurations with enabled P-states and C-states. I.e. HPET was bug workaround. Then came Invariant TSC and HPET is no longer needed for configurations with that feature in CPU.

19. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Edit 2: Prior, HPET was enabled in BIOS and disabled in the OS.

After disabling HPET in BIOS (HPET completely deactivated), I am feeling certain things snappy on my PC.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4, 965BE_C3
    Motherboard LPCIO: ITE IT8718

Note: I use different values for P-States, using K10stat.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  20. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    "Snappy"? Can you explain?