1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Huge Breach Uncovered.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Reddoguk, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    So hold on, Dixons Currys PC World Carphone Warehouse

Are they seriously never dropping any of those names

But this is indeed a big breach, gonna get fined up the wazoo

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    I know right, saying it's one of the biggest breaches in history but hardly mentioning any of the company names on the news report. I first saw it on Sky news and they just said Dixons Carphone.

Without Chip and Pin they would of been really screwed.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    I more meant it in that it's now a company of 4 different names and they haven't rebranded yet, but yeah the news report didnt mention currys/pc world

also, have a look at carephones point of sale system, taken in 2012, showing windows xp running a terminal emulator for a system clearly designed in the early 90's

[​IMG]

this is what I work with btw for comparison

[​IMG]

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    There's an inherent cost to upgrading older systems but it's worth it in the long run. I think a lot of companies including government have failed to see the threat at hand and continually use older Oses that have more holes than a fishing net.

Both my local hospital and my local GP still use ancient xp because it still functions correctly so they aren't in a hurry to update even with the lack of support for the OS.

Makes you wonder who else is using/storing peoples info on systems that are compromised or weak to attack.

6. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Maybe companies should try not to store so many records together. Store them in bundles limited to say, 100,000, spread across different servers?

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Interesting, not only personal data (adresses etc.) is lost, but also payment, probably credit card data? wp...
    As long as there is no harm to companies "losing" your data it won't ever be any different.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Nice, my last phone contract that I've only just upgraded from was from the carphone warehouse

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    Whats scary about it is that criminals can target people for their cards because they have addresses and all the card details. They might not be able to steal money from the 6m lost IDs because of Chip and Pin except the 100k that wasn't protected by C&P but that's old school crime. These days criminals have started to actually target the wealthy in other ways.

They have basically full details, emails, addresses, Date of birth, full names, and so on. It's pretty sickening to think about, especially if you are one of these 6 million persons affected.