Another FSB:RAM 1:1 ratio question

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Rubenvb, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    I have searched a lot of forums and can't seem to get a decent answer to my question:
    I have a E8400 with fsb 333 mhz and 3.0 GHz clock speed (stock)
    I have two sticks of 800 MHz Dual Channel Kingston ValueRam (CPU-z identifies them as 400 MHz). Its timings are now 5-5-5-18

The questions:
    - If I want a 1:1 ratio, can i just set the fsb to 400 MHz (Normally not a problem with default voltage and cooling for an e8400 right?). Will the ram still run in 400 MHz or can it run higher (I don't want to mess with the ram voltages).
    - Is it really better to run in 1:1 as opposed to my current 5:6 (i think, can't find a reading anywhere anymore)
    - Some say it would be better to underclock the ram (in my case run it at 667 (and cpu-z would say 333 MHz). My ram is not rated at this frequency. Is this bad?

Thanks for all the help, if something is not clear, please ask!

2. dipanzan

dipanzan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    underclocking the ram n then OCing u'd be a better choice

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    1600FSB is 1:1 for 800mhz ram and yeh unlinking the ram from the FSB would be a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Thanks for the answers but this doesn't really help.
    CPU-Z reports (SPD) that the ram can run at 200, 266 and 400 mhz. My ratio is 5:6 and would like to get it at 1:1.
    What would be best/fastest: setting the fsb to 400 and leaving the ram at 2*400 MHz or leaving the fsb at 333 and setting the ram at (the unsupported) 2*333.5 MHz.
    Thanks again!

5. Grazzy

Grazzy Member

GPU:
    GTX 295
    If you run your fsb at 400 and memory 400*2 (drr 800) that would give you 1:1 ratio. the effect of this will up your rated fsb to 1600, if your using a 9x multi. it will push your clock from 3.0ghz to 3.6ghz.

6. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    In bios set:
    -fsb frequency=400
    -fsb strap to northbridge=400
    -dram frequency=800

7. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    This.

You're going to have to OC your CPU from a 333 FSB to 400 FSB if you want to run it 1:1 with 800Mhz RAM. Be sure to do some reading on OC'ing before you try it, if this is your first time.

8. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    If want a 1:1 ratio select sync mode in your mobo bios [dont select 1:1], select bus speed as 400 or rated fsb as 1600 [whatever is the option]to give you 3.60ghz on a 9x multiplier and 3.20ghz on an 8x multiplier. If you select 1:1 ratio in your mobo bios, your ram will actually get overclocked [mine does]. donno about yours.

9. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    In the spd tab of cpuz the timings table shows the available options your ram can run on. Acc to your ram description, your ram is designed to run at 800mhz[dram frequency=400]. remember, its imp to set your ram in sync mode to get the desired 1:1 ratio.

10. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    If you want to run your cpu at stock,then set multi=7.5
    As kRze correctly mentioned,you are still overclocking the fsb from 333 to 400.

11. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    I have set my FSB to 400, set max multiplier to 8x (so it runs at 3.2 GHz, a small overclock), set Vcore to 1.13125 in BIOS (reads as 1.104 in CPU-Z) left ram on auto and it runs at 400 MHz (800 Dual Channel), now have a 1:1 ratio.

Thanks guys, I was just afraid to set the FSB so high, guess it's not that big of a problem. My max temps (been running Folding at Home GPU, which still uses 100% of one cpu core on my hd4870) are around 49°C, which is lower than my previous auto-vcore on 1.18 3.0 GHz without overclock.

If there's any dangers in leaving anything else on auto, please say so, because I read on several forums some voltages will also be upped when left on auto with an overclock.

12. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    1.3625v is max "safe" voltage for your CPU.
    RAM is anywhere between 1.8-2.2v depending on who makes it.

13. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Update: Been having a rough time with this seemingly stable overclock...
    THe voltage wasn't enough for the intelburntest.. so I started upping it bit by bit (2*0.00265v increments at a time). It finished the first time with 1.14375V but said none of the 5 max stress tests were good (all failed). After this I downloaded OCCT and ran their Ram test. After 3 min it gave an error! I am wondering if this is my memory :(.
    I tried different settings in BIOS then (because the system had been folding stable for several hours on lower voltage)... I discovered FSB Strap to NB was an option to definitely leave to auto (windows repairs and such...)
    I have also entered some default vaues and voltages in BIOS (seeing as some people have had problems with auto settings+oc). Are the default values as reported in BIOS ok or are they best left on auto?
    Right now I am running the OCCT ram test again to be sure it's better now. I will try to lower the vCore some more to lower temps a bit. Any more advice is greatly appreciated! Happy holidays as well!

14. Saee

Saee Active Member

GPU:
    9600GT 714/1800/2304
    Overclocking is a trial & error process.But i definitely recommend you use fsb 400 because it provides more performance.
    So in bios use the settings I perviously mentioned.In addition set:
    dram static...=disabled
    dram training...=disable
    -performace level=7 or 8 or 9 or...-You must find the lowest stable value

Vnb=1.2-find the lowest stable value
    Vcore=?-find the lowest stable value

test with IBT after each change
    report back

15. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Lol hijacking my own thread....
    When Intel talks about a max cpu temperature of 72.4°C, are they talking about the two core temps or are they talking about the CPUTIN as reported in the BIOS hardware monitoring page as well as HWMonitor? When I run ITB the cores rise to 65°C but CPUTIN stays at 50-55°C at all times (fsb 400 as before, vcore set at 1.15 for the moment, read as 1.128 in Windows, max 8x multiplier). The 65 is awfully close to the max of 72, but are these referring to the same temperature reading?

16. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
  17. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Sorry guys, but I'm back to my original question... (IBT won't give me no errors at acceptable voltages :(... I don't want to up everything too much because it will just get too hot under stock cooling)

So the grand question is (and hasn't really been answered on any forum):
    What is better:
    5:6 ratio with FSB=333 and memfreq=400/800, timings 5-5-5-15or18
    1:1 ratio with FSB=333 and memfreq=333/667, timings 4-4-4-12 or lower?
    I read that on a C2D system like mine, timings have less influence than frequency, but no one ever says anything about the ratio being important. What is best? (I will be experimenting with lower timings some more today). And thanks again for the response!

18. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
  19. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    HOLD THE PHONE ON TIMING AND OCing! I have some thoughts :)

LOL safe. I was very nervous myself but this chip is the bees knees. I have a settin of 1.6V in BIOS and after VDroop I read 1.58 steady thru everest. Never exceed 60. I dont use a lil intel barely sufficient stock cooler tho.

I have found something different.... and I have spend an EXHAUSTING amount of time corroborating this info.... 667 @ 4-4-4-12 is nearly the same as 800 @ 5-5-515. With a slight V increase U can easily make that 800 run at 4-4-4-12. My roomies DDR2 667 is oc'd to 800 4-4-4-12 no issues. I know yer not lookin to augment yer ram...just saying. Again... 800 is only slightly faster in tests than 667 at your requested timings. This is due to the ram only being 75MHz -before the ddr- faster frequency wise and being 1-1-1-3 out of sync from 667. What I'm saying is...the slight speed increase is nearly overshadowed by the extra refresh cycles.

1:1 is an excellent system config on an prior machines I've used it when at all possible. It vertually eliminates any bottleneck -on the board level- between CPU and memory. Neither item has to wait for the other to be ready to receive data. However, your 5:6 config shouldnt exibit too much degredation performance wise since the CPU and RAM are still 83.33% in sync. I've seen some pretty wide ratios from time to time and thats when the hit can really be noticed. If you really wanna see some perf gains combine the highest clock speed yer comfy with -seems its 800- with the lowest timings AND one more thing: 1T CPC -command per clock- timing as opposed to 2T. The Command Per Clock (or Command Rate) setting determines the delay (in clocks) between the chip being selected and the controller beginning to send commands. 1T gives better performance, while 2T yields increased stability with older/cheaper RAM. Alone each of these 3 items yeild small boosts.... together as a package you begin to notice and feel the difference

A final thought... I, for a short while, ran my 8400 at 3.6 using 1.3V and then bumped to 4.0 using 1.38. Both on air. Never any issues...never close to goin thermal :) Above this speed required.....modifications.... lol

Can i be of further assistance?

Zyro

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Surely your going to burn out that CPU with that VCore?:nerd: