Anonymous takes down Playstation website and Playstation Network

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by (IRE)Wolfman, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    The difference between "may" and "will" are notable. One means it is happening and the other means it might happen but hasn't .
    So do you agree with SONY and they should be able to nef the console? There is no middle ground here. It's either you don't care what SONY does or you don't care what Anonymous does. There is no both sides can get what they want here. I'm on SONY's side here as I could care less if I can't pirate stuff. If they make it so I get charged everytime I turn their console on, I'll just throw it out and they get no more money from me and neither do the advertisers, game devs and anyone else they may make a buck off of it.
    I also agree with the actions of Anonymous (I know I said no two ways about it but bare with me). The average person needs a voice that can cause a company as big a SONY to listen. Petitions won't work and we all know the average PS3 user isn't going to stop using the system. Hell, they prbably will only comoplain about it while gaming on the PSN. If SONY is allowed to just change the console's actual use with out any warning and by not agreeing with it you lose another part of the systems use they get granted a power that the consumer market hasn't seen before. IMHO is attacking family members via internet right? No not by any means. Is it neccessary? If SONY doesn't take the will of the online public serious then yes I do. If SONY thinks that having their family's info posted is an acceptable consequence (not to say they should just roll over and give into demands) then how is that any better? SONY's complete disregard for the consumer and their own families is quite the statment.
    Again, I am just putting my spin on this for debate purposes. I am in complete disagreement with any act of terrorism. But.... dam SONY seems to be a kid poking a barking dog with sharp teeth hopping that the chain is strong enough to keep it away.
    PS.
    I edited that post you quoted while you were typing. :) Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    These two statements one from Anon and one posted by Sprecker.

I am an average PS3 owner and not for one second do these morons represent me or my interests. If I was so disillusioned with a product I would do what most average consumers would do and simply not buy from that company again so having them try and indicate for one split second that they are doing this for my benefit is an insult way beyond anything Sony has done of late, at best it is hypocrisy and worst it is massive idiocy of unrivalled levels.

I said it before and Ill say it again, what Sony has done will affect a tiny percentage of the PS3 community, what these idiots are doing affects everyone in the PS3 community save for the few that never use PSN, they are not the voice of the average man raging against the machine. The average man has an average man's wallet and will rage by not opening it for the company. They have their own agenda and the rights of the average man, they publicly voice as representing, will no doubt rank very low if at all on their genuine manifesto.

*Edit just after watching Anon's demands video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw0u8vU7Lmk&feature=player_embedded

Seems they are no longer or will not attack the PSN login site so I guess that means the actions of the few will no longer affect the many. I still take offence at their original statement that they are taking action in representation of the average person, even if the average person doesn't understand why they are doing it. The list of demands further clarifies that their actions are a result of a few butt hurt hackers not being able to install Linux and for the majority of PS3 users is still a big so f*cking what if I can't install Linux any more?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    anon is a concept not a whole.
    Its kinda like the voice of the underlying people- what most would like to say but are unable to.
    Meh its odd your name is reminiscent of a anime where the same concept applies.
    Also the whole PSN thing was short lived and as they said a poke at sony. It was really more or less a way to drum up attention from the masses. And it worked as we can all see.

4. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    The thing is that you cant touch "the man" without touching the average consumer. why? cuz the averange consumer represents "the man"'s pocket, the only thing that could harm "the man" is the consumers. so if you hamper the ability of "the man" to reach its consumers, whenever its for sell them things or keep them at bay so they dont get butt-hurt and keep buying. its a symbiotic relationship. fcking up psn store acomplishes a lot of these things ( "the man" cant sell and the consumers get butt-hurt)

So, if you do want them to stick it to the man, you'll need to do some sacrifices.

If you dont want to make sacrifices, then, by association, you dont want them to stick it to the man. Or you're an ass (want them to stick it to the man without doing something yourself).

Pretty much the actual fact of what you could do if you had access to your PS3 isnt the main point. If you're thinking bout linux then you're missing the point. I guess that its bout what it represents, the lastest tendecy of the industry, to sell you something that as time passes, you really own less and less of it.

The thing is that if you wait until the absolute extreme happens, that is, that your supposedly own product actually can be used only for the purposes designed by the manufacturer AND only in the way that the manufacturer says, then it will be too late for changing that.

Some people are optimists and think that that'll never happen. I dunno. I guess that preventing the "Terms of use" of getting too obsessive and restrictive is a good thing, its in the interest of us all users of hardware and software.

The thing is that i dont have a PS3 and i dont use PSN store (reduntant lol), so i cant really say "this is wrong" or "this is good". Maybe i'd get pissed of if i had a PS3. i dunno.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

5. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Oh please, that is meta physical bollocks, Anon is a bunch of idiots hiding in their mom's basement attacking things they don't agree with, adding the ideology that they are doing it for the voiceless masses is total and utter bollocks. We live in a free market and one in which money is not something a lot of people have free at the moment. If people so strongly dis agree with the rules, regs and actions of a big corporation they can do far more harm by not buying their products. In this case the reality is that so few people genuinly care about what Sony have done that they have felt the need to advertise it. They are the fat kid at the edge of the school yard screaming look at me whilst everyone just goes about ignoring them whilst they get beaten up by the school bully yet again.

The irony of that statement is not lost on me.

That is not a new trend anyone who has installed PC software knows that the EULA for the better part of it states that the software is still the property of the original maker, that they reserve the right to do what they want with it as they feel like it and without any warning and that if the software doesn't even work then tough luck.

Okay correct me if I am wrong

- Community can install Linux on their old PS3
    - Sony release new slim minus this feature to cut costs but retain the ability for the old PS3s to install Linux
    - One element of that community not quite happy with what he has uses that feature to circumvent the copy protection system on the PS3, brags to the world about it even claiming Sony can't patch it.
    - Sony patch it by removing ability to install Linux
    - One element of the community decides that having already done his part in screwing over the rest of the communities ability to install Linux decides to stab the hornets nest again by hacking the PS3 again and again makes the details and equipment needed free for anyone to access.

Is that right? Yeah Sony removed the feature but it did it in direct response to the actions of the community that are now moaning about Sony removing the Linux install feature.... very strange that one.

6. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Please don`t quote me out of context.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Sony settle Geohotz court case.

Sony settle Geohotz court case

I hear the settlement basically has Hotz not ever coming within 3 miles of anything Sony related.....well now the freetards know that if they piss about with the PS3 security they can expect Sony to come after them relentlessly......although i would not like to be Horz now seeing as a few months ago he was claiming he would never walk away until Sony admitted why the otheros was removed and he had won his fight...plus what about the money that was donated to him...how does that work no.

Looks like little Georgy boy is not going to be very popular for some time. LOL

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  8. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    haha I never even thought about that. That blows for whoever donated money. He's probably have a good ol' time with it

9. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    pretty sure he said he'd donate it to some organization that helps people defend themselves against cases like his.

Really, i'm just sore that he didn't even attempt to go "all the way" after all that public outcry.

10. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    if you were dumb enough to donate money to that ******* you deserved to get burned

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
  12. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    this, people with too much money or money they didnt earn. lol

13. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Reading that post all I can get from it is

a). We can't attack PSN because that will p*ss off what little support we have from people who own PS3s, as tiny as that amount is.

b). We tried attacking the other websites but either Sony eventually knocked that one on the head or it was having zero effect so we had to give up.

c). We have run out of ideas, uh lets all go round to the Sony store and get beaten over the head by security.... well you guys can cause we won't actually be there, well we will in spirit but not actually, see what I mean?

and as if to back it all up here's what Sony said

"A source with the company has said that the Anonymous DDoS attacks designed to take down Sony’s web operations are of “medium strength” and have only “annoyed our network engineers.”

That is funny.

As for the Sony store protest, well couldn't have been that big since it didn't appear on any significant news channels, not even minor local news. Dug round for a few minutes and found an update over at psgroove and it seems 3 Sony stores were closed

2 in the UK and 1 in Poland, naturally the anti Sony guys are claiming some sort of victory to be honest if this was all they could muster it really is a laughable effort.

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh this just gets better...LOL

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/85633/anonymous-sony-store-boycott-fails-stores-take-defensive-action/

Several videos have been posted onto the Operation Sony page, one showing police waiting outside a Sony Store in the UK, not allowing anyone to get too close to the shutdown store -- some are saying that it was to protest the protesters, however the video showed that nobody was protesting. Another video was of a man holding up a PlayStation 3 with an Anonymous flyer outside another closed down Sony Store -- attracting little-to-no attention from shoppers.

Strangely, one member apparently ended up buying a Sony Bravia.

"Just went to a Sony store for the first time in my life!. Bought a Bravia :)"

LOL

15. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 - couldn't agree more.

16. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    could of proved the point by taken down the psn for just a day

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    F*** Sony tbh.

One day the majority will be burnt over what these companies do and then you'll all be jumping on the band-wagon protesting about it. When that day comes, those against Anon, please stfu and stay out of those threads.

18. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hmmm, interesting. So all this freedom of speech and information hoopla only applies to those who agree with your views?

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think it'll be like the pot calling the kettle black. BTW, real freedom of speech and information doesn't exist. The end.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    PSN is down because of this? or STEAM is integrating to PSN ?