Annoying/Confusing Problem PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Species, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    ***I copied this from the NVIDIA CARDS FORUMS***
    Probably should have posted here first.

Ok, i have had my pc for about a year and never had any problems with it. This all started recently. Any game i play lags or stutters, no matter what resolution, AA or AF settings, or texture settings i use, it seems to only do this in games. I can watch the fps drop by alot when it does this. Like in BF2 ill make a turn in a jet, and next thing i know im on the ground dead , because the pc froze for a second. This is the same in Star Wars Galaxies, or basically any other game i might play. I need to figure out if this is a Video Card Issue, or if im bottlenecked somehow. It doesnt do this in windows, seems to only do it when the Video Card/Computer is under load. I have used this same system for almost a year with no problems like this, the processor is not overclocked, the video card is not overclocked, and the ram timings are stock. I mean if u look at some of my components , ive got a pretty nice system, but i just cant seem to figure this out. Ive tried, reformatting(not lately though), new hard drive(recent), new power supply(recent). The cpu runs at 32C idle, and no more than 43C under load. The video card runs at 47C ide with ambient temp. at 33C, and under load it runs at 53-55C, with the ambient temp. around 40C. Ive got 6 case fans(3pushing air in, and 3 exhaust) and its always stays cool inside my pc case, room temperature is low 70's. All bios settings are default except ive got the graphics Aperature set to 256 and spread spectrum is off. The Video Card has 2 individual power cords going to it, so its getting good juice. Im running Forceware 77.77's, and ive tried the 77.50's and a few others and it doesnt seem to make a difference. My ISP is Cox Communications, and i always get between 3-4.5MB down stream, so i wouldnt think it would be a bandwidth issue. Any suggestions or advice, or things i could try? Any input would be appreciated, here are my system specs.

In my BIOS there are settings to overclock the cpu, 5% 10%..etc, it is set to standard, in in otherwords its not overclocked, but sometimes, not always, when i first turn on my pc, it will freeze at the BIOS loading screen where it displays the Asus logo, and ill have to reach over and restart my pc to unfreeze it, when it boots back up, it will pop up a BIOS error, saying Overclocking failed, and prompt me to enter the BIOS menu or restore default settins, but the thign is, the cpu isnt overclocked...could this have somethign to do with it?
    Could any of my components cause a bottleneck in performance? And if so, why would it start a year after i built the pc?
    Could this be an issue with my pagefile? Its set to system managed size.

Ive changed my ram timings to 2-3-3-7
    It seems to run fine at those settings, but still no change in the stuttering.

Windows XP Home SP2 w/ latest updates
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe ( BIOS rev. 1019*Latest*)
    P4 3.2 w/ HT (Stock Clock)
    Maxtor SATA 300GB HD w/ 16mb cache
    1GB(2x512) of Ultra Dual Channel PC3200 DDR400 Memory (Stock timings)(***Could this be one of the problems?)
    Mad Dog 600w X-Connect PS
    eVGA.com 6800 Ultra w/NV5 Silencer rev.2(running Forceware 77.77's)(Stock Clock, 425 1100)

2. R.A.D.

R.A.D. Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi gtx 560 ti tf2
    Well i cant help you much, but i can tell you it isnt a bottleneck issue. If something is bottlenecked there it will not cause that freezing.

3. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I have not had the problem you descibe but here is a post you might find helpful

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by NGL_BrSH
    I have had this current system for about 6 months now and i upgraded today to another 2x512 sticks of identical ram for a total of 2 gigs of pc4200... The reason i did this was BF2 with everything on high (caching of the textures is the reason for stuttering while swapping virtual memory) i would get stuttering for the first 4-5 mins of the game and it would get pretty smooth but the harddrive would still work fairly hard during gameplay.

I was VERY skeptical that 1 more gig of ram would noticable improvements but after today i'm sold. It wasn't like trying to figure out the difference between stock clock and a 200 MHZ more jump after a small overclock... It was like SHABLAM.. first guy in game... hop in plane.. take off NO STUTTER
    i almost shat myself..
    almost always i have to fly around in straight lines during the first parts of the maps or i'd stutter right into the ground or something..
    It's THAT much of a difference.

BF2 DOES take advantage of ram over 1 gig.
    best 100 bucks i've spent in a while.

WEWT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I had the same experiece the 1.5 gigs of ram that I have now make it smooth as butter, I only had 512 before.

Hope it helps

4. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    He did say that he had the problem in other games. But its reassuring to know that 2 gigs will help. Thats what mine are there for :)

Anyway, Species, i have a couple of small idea, maybe worthc checking out.

1) The PSU. Maybe its not doing so well, dying 12v rail or something? check it out with an amp/volt meter.

2) Mobo. Could be a pin in the video cards connection isnt getting through 100%, or just a malfunctioning mobo.

3) RAM? Just throwing it out there, have you tried memtest?

Anyway, i hope those will help. I doubt they are the solution, sounds more serious than anything i'd know the answer to.

5. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Sorry I didn't address all you post it's past 1AM here and bed is awaiting, in your post you mention internet speed! are the problems you describe from online play or off line play? also your memory are you running stock SPD settings or are you inputting values i ask becasue I saw your other post.
    As far as your boot problem you bios should remeber your settings last set the only time I ever see one forget is when the battery is run down or bad but you may want to totally clear the cmos and start again first. hope that helps i'll look in tommorow

6. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    The power supply is brand new, and its a 600w, i used a volt meter on the 12v rail and its getting 12.159 volts, so that shouldnt be the problem.

I rechecked and reset the video crad several times. gonna be kinda jard to narrow that down if thats the actual problem.

I ran memtest for over an hour with my memory at stock CAS, then i ran it at CAS 2-3-3-7 for an hour, no errors on either run, and it passed all the tests.

7. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    Well just finished testing for about 30mins on various games, and here is what ive found out.

The lag or stuttering occurs both in online multiplayer games and in singleplayer games(not online), so this problem is going to be somewhere in my pc(*sigh*) The only reason i adjusted my ram timings was because that was about one of the only things i had not tried yet. It doenstm atter if ive got the ram timings at stock or at 2-3-3-7, no change at all, still stuttering.

8. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
  9. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    /bump

Still having problems :(

10. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    HEY
    I was looking for mem and I ran across this post of a guy that bought some of the memory. You may find it interesting.

"Rosewill 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
    Model#:
    RW400/2048KITDP

Item#:
    N82E16820223032

Price:
    $192.99

N/A, 8/8/2005 5:44:46 PM

I bought a total of 4GB of this stuff to run in my P4P800-E based system. I'm not OC'ed, but it tells me "Over-Clocking Failed." I've tried it on two systems (each having same type MB), 2GB & 4GB at a time. I also tried updating BIOS on each system. Memory = no go for me. "

MMM overclocking failed p4p800 MB and ram questionable MMM