Annoying anti-virus bloatware from Avast

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by zhengzhoudave, Dec 20, 2012.

1. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Dear all, we all have very different ideas about anti-virus programs and some of us already think that it's better not to use one at all because they're all a bit crap.

I have been a long time user of Avast for about 5 years now. I've tried all the other anti-virus stuff and that's what I settled on. Avira is my 2nd choice for freeware.

I do seem to have been bailed out a few times by anti-virus, or at least the anti-virus software told me I was???

Avira always annoyed me as the updates had ads on them and that just doesn't float my boat. But in recent weeks and months Avast have become EXACTLY the same trumped up add riddled bloat/SPYware

That's right, I said SPYware - My 5 year involvement with Avast is now officially over!

I have decided not to use an anti-virus software program for a while and see how I get on.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

2. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Never experienced this. Example?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You are using the free version of a commercial antivirus. Avira and Avast have a small amount of advertising as it helps the sale of their commercial versions. Without this small amount of advertising, you wouldn't have the free versions. You would have to use MSSE or some other free antivirus which are no where near as good.

There isn't any 'spyware' in Avast. It does have a 'community' option which is anonymous, and just helps them improve the programs. Other antiviruses probably have the same kind of thing, but unlike Avast where you can disable it, it might be not be able to be disabled.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Dunno.

AFAIK, between Avira and avast!, only the former has the annoying ad pop-up every time you manually update the virus database (which can be blocked; Google is your friend).
    The only times avast! asked me to upgrade is only the few times on setup and first-run; after that, it's nothing.
    I registered avast! (for free) for that one year (free) license so...dunno, really.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I tried Avast 7 recently when people were making a fuss over MSE, damn was it intrusive! I'm back to MSE, not being bothered by an anti virus or firewall (Comodo) while I'm using the PC is very important.

6. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    i have no idea what you're talking about. The only pop-up avast gives is when theres a db update available. Even that can be turned off.

7. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    also, what did avast do to make you think its spyware? Mind sharing a few details?

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I also have had no such experience with Avast. I have been using Avast for years now, and went back to it after a brief experiment with Avira. You guys are right on Avira though, nothing but pop-ups and bull**** ads!

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last time I used avast (a few months ago), the only time I saw any sort of ads, was when looking at a certain section of the interface.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find any antivirus software that is non-intrusive...

My issue with Avast is that it has too much impact on system performance and tries to install Chrome...

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    For me, Avast is definitely faster than MSE (WD in 8) although I have few problems with it so I'm using it in on demand only and Webroot as real time protection (and Comodo as firewall). I have paid internet Security version of Avast and I can disable all remote content, like buttons and all in it. There's a reason why something is free.

11. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    But you can always uncheck the box can't you?

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I almost didn't notice that checkbox at the beginning of installation, it's borderline fine print. The next day after I updated the definitions (and I had disabled all prompts) it again showed me a pop up offering me that infernal browser, I immediately chucked it out. Very intrusive software, needlessly complicated configuration and with the default settings it loves to keep reminding you that it's around on your system. I wonder if Avast employees themselves use the damn thing?!

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i never noticed performance hit with avast, But AVG That **** made any computer i ran it on run slow, Switch to ClamAV after that, but that never had on demand scanner, I then found avast and couldnt be happier, atlest till I find something better.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes you can but you shouldn't have to. Chrome shouldn't be part of the installer.