1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcing the new AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well not sure where that watercooling part came from, or did I miss that those will come with liquid cooling only?
    But yeah you're probably right, they'll manage somehow inside the case. Even if they have to use a huge heatsink and three or more fans / case fans for this. I just doubt it's going to be particularly easy to cool or quiet. More like the opposite.

2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This is why lack of competition sucks. If you aren't making the best products you can because there isn't competition it sucks for us consumers. Intel sandbagged core counts for at least 5 years if not almost a decade not because they couldn't because obviously they can make 6-8 core parts on the same 14nm process. I hope big Navi makes Nvidia regret it just like Ryzen is about to make Intel regret resting on its laurels.

3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Your vague recollection is far from accurate. While yes, initially the OS on non-server dual CPU g4's didn't utilize the second processor, many of the applications used primarily by those who buy such computers (graphic designers, etc) did support dual chips. Photoshop, illustrator, quark, cinema 4d XL, soundjam (encoding), apple dvd studio, premiere, all the macromedia programs (flash, fireworks, etc), Qbase, Reason, etc. There are more but thats all i can think of off the top of my head without dragging my old PowerMac G4 out of the closet.

As for the new MacPro, i'm just glad they got rid of the trash can and switched back to the cheese grater look. While better looking, it still is nowhere near as nice as the original PowerMac G5 aluminum case. Which IMO is the best looking, and highest quality case ive ever seen. I even converted one into an ATX layout a while back.