1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Announcing the new AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    For a bit of extra modularity, you can even add wheels to the machine, allowing you to push the Mac Pro around your studio. The wheels, however, will be sold separately and their price is unknown.....My guess the wheels cost $599....:D

Clawedge and Undying like this.
  2. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    It's a PLX chip. It takes a 16x PCI-E signal and spits out a 16x connection to both GPU's. The card is still limited to a single 16x width connection as a whole, but either GPU core can communicate the full 16x width in/out through the PCI-E slot, instead of splitting it in half 8x + 8x to each GPU core like you would for a traditional crossfire setup on a mainstream CPU/motherboard.

All dual GPU-on-a-single-PCB video cards have had a PLX chip. Radeon 4870x2, 5970, 5990, 7990, Fury Pro Duo, Geforce 590, 690, Titan Z, you name it.

Kaarme likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Seeing as it's a quad-bay AIB, wouldn't it have been much cheaper and easier for them to just... y'know... have 2x separate GPUs instead? Seems like the additional cost of engineering this thing wouldn't yield any benefit. They could've still used custom heatsinks so you wouldn't have one GPU suffocating, like in a typical CFX setup.

4. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Should have gone full liquid cooling and if it ACTS like a single GPU, then I would want, cannot afford, one!

schmidtbag likes this.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    More or less having the 2 chips on the same bus and PCB eliminates any latency. The chips use the infinity fabric to communicate, so I imagine the Infinity Fabric is linked to the HBM for caching or there is dedicated dram for that, most likely under the PLX chip if not using HBM.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I suppose, but it seems to me AMD just needs to re-introduce the hardware bridge. Even that would still be a simpler and cheaper option.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I'm not sure it would change the price at all, because you would still need the PLX chip to communicate. I imagine the reason we're seeing this built on one PCB is the VRM alone, and probably easier to keep power going through the 2 PCIE connectors(with one pulling damn near 500w)

8. Grumpymangrumbling2019

Grumpymangrumbling2019 Active Member

GPU:
    vega
    If i owned this i would run the thing at 90% power and save 200 watts.

9. ngoni615

ngoni615 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    I wonder what the gaming performance of this would be like lol probably true 4k 144hz max settings in any game. And i am guessing it would need a 28 core @ 5ghz to max it out hehehe

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I am sure we will find out
    a good bet this card in some shape or from will be some "gaming " card down the line

Stormyandcold likes this.

11. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    i guess it makes sense ...apple seems to be the only company that can actually sell Vega II chips and make huge profit doing it !

12. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I certainly hope that in five years "RTX" is no more and that instead we have something much, much better. No matter how many times nVidia says "It just works!", RTX isn't real-time ray tracing--real-time ray tracing does not exist at this time and may never exist--advances in rasterization, which is 'real time', will continue to move forward, certainly.

I have a lot of questions about this duo card--such as whether or not the 32-GB of onboard ram is actually 16GBs x2, as the AMD concept of "duo" has always been "X-fire on a single card." It's the kind of thing that appeals to Apple Mac customers, however! I vaguely remember when Jobs was hawking the first dual-cpu Macs many years ago as being 2x as fast--when that was only true for one or two Mac applications which could use the second cpu! Not even the Mac OS could support them! At that time, the only piece of the Mac OS that could use both cpus was the finder, believe it or not. The discrepancy--like all of Jobs' discrepancies--never bothered the Mac faithful at the time. Stuff like that makes you scratch your head in pure amazement.

13. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Would love to see LuxMark scores and Final Cut Pro X performance and AMD ProRender performance

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    "2x Radeon Pro Vega II Duo"
    128gb of hbm2
    :eek:

15. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X 4GB
    It's a custom MPX (Mac Pro Expansion) module slot, which offers additional 8 PCIe lanes and 475W of power alongside the standard PCIe x16 slot.

https://techreport.com/news/34618/t...28-xeon-cores-1-5tb-of-ram-and-quad-vega-gpus
    PS. The MPX module is actually a large metal enclosure that fits in a dedicated bay and can structurally support quite heavy equipment, like RAID-5 disk systems with four HDDs and deducated controller.

https://videocardz.com/80956/amd-announces-radeon-pro-vega-ii-duo-a-dual-vega-20-graphics-card

[​IMG]

https://www.techradar.com/news/wwdc-2019-liveblog/2
    [​IMG]

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...tb-pegasus-mpx-module-storage-hard-drive-raid
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Clawedge likes this.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    part of the reason watercooling can be so effective is the fact that the rads vent the air directly outside of the case

in a meticulously designed case like this it probably means there isnt enough internal mass to reach thermal equilibrium within spec of the components

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    RTX may not exist by then (as it will likely be integrated into GTX line), however, the current implementations will continue to be iterated and refined by both Nvidia and AMD. The problem is that there currently isn't any other method better than RT, so, even a limited implementation like the current crop of supported titles is still better than rasterization alone.

18. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    interesting times ahead, infinity fabric on GPUs, now its up to whether nvidia manages to keep building even bigger chips at reasonable yields, if they cant, AMD will eat its cake unless they have this scalable solution as backup

19. kings

kings Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Nvidia is working on multi-die solutions for several years now!

When they need it, the products will be out.

20. patteSatan

patteSatan Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    I actually dont se this with a tinfoilhat on, apple/macintosh has done tons of good stuff in the past, just that customers saw it as more expensive than the blue/green stuff, I want to know when it is on sales, and I will talk with 2 friends of mine, and ask them: "Is it badass", and they will answer me, as I know them IRL.