Android management software

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by 386SX, Jul 9, 2022.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi all.

My family all have mobile phones based on Android (some iPhones exist but are happily ignored).
    I want to manage them all, like back then with Blackberry Enterprise Server.

In detail I want to ...
    - provision new devices or those I reset with the apps and settings I chose.
    - track and wipe/destroy lost or stolen devices.
    - (re-)configure active devices remotely.
    - enforce various settings like "kids = SafeSearch ON".
    - (nice-to-have) integrate the solution into my MS Active Directory (Server 2019 based with 2016 feature level)

If possible I do NOT want to use any Google app for that.
    If possible the solution should be free of charge or small 1time fee, not recurring.

Currently there are 5 devices to cover with that, probably 20 devices in total if I include my whole family (not sure if I should do that).

Any ideas?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Any idea?

I say run from this idea unless you have nerves of steel + lots of free time + enough pills to kill all headaches you're gonna get with all this :D

Brasky, fantaskarsef and 386SX like this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Mind to elaborate? If this is set up correctly, I expect need of administration will shrink because most stuff happens automatically.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Looks like a job for orchestration software.
    Something like Ansible can do.
    YAML playbooks, a file containing the hosts and SSH keys for authentication.

386SX likes this.

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    At first when I saw: "...Currently there are 5 devices to cover with that... I was like: OK, our G3D friend has will to help and some free time to burn, nice, this is rare these days...

But when I saw: "...probably 20 devices in total if I include my whole family (not sure if I should do that)..." :eek: I was like: RRRUUUUUUUNNNNN, save your wife and kids!!! :D

Been there, done that, but not for Android phones and tablets but for desktop and laptop PCs, electronics/electric repairs, all kinds of accounts: e-mails, Facebook, Skype, whatnot ...for A LOT family members of mine and family on my wifes side, close friends, neighbours, mostly for free, and for few dear people who couldn't afford paying maintenance of these things. Gave up on this years ago, way too busy with my bussines and rl but mosly because if you do it more than once for some people FOR FREE they think it's easy for you to do this ANYTIME and now they own you, you're their free-service guy :mad: Now I'm doing this kind of PC maintenence, electronics and electric maintenance around the house stuff for free in our house of course, also for our parents, few really good old frends and some nice people who couldn't afford paying for this type of service. When it comes to Android I'm always willing to help to backup pics and videos to their PCs for our parents and nothing more than that for anyone else using any type of smarthpone (at our house sami-automated this Android smartphones pic/vid backup process to the NAS attached to out home network). For others that aren't geting this type of service from me anymore at first it was not easy for me to explain to them why I can't do this anymore, for free or at the time they find it most convinient (read: late afternoon hours of weekend days), also this fact was not received well on their side for most of them, like they were thinking it's going to last forever, free, anytime. These are the moments when one realises how people can be ungrateful in situations when they can't get free service (and my free time) from someone who was doing this for them for years at the time they expect this should be done. I have my own bussiness, daily work schedulle 6 days per week at best from 9AM to 5PM, my wife and kids to spend time with, kids to feed and pay their scholarship, pay the bills, parents on both sides... but obviously some people can't understand this. That's where you draw the line, enough is enough, it's stupid to expaint to someone that my time is not free for some people who couldn't understand someones daily obligations.

There was a thread here on Guru3D about this recently.

@386SX how it the progress with this?

386SX likes this.
  6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I plan to give this one a try:
    https://www.manageengine.com/mobile-device-management/free-mobile-device-management-software.html

Free up to 25 devices (Android or iOS) ...
    Management of apps, permissions, default settings and more ...
    Option to run it on premise (no cloud, no 3rd party dependancies, no offloaded security, I can control all connections) ...

If you put the work I have to do to install and configure this in an equation with the time I then save every time I guess it will be worth it. It is for a baseline config only, nothing serious.

And you are completely right about helping other people. I did that as well until I think .... a decade ago. I know what you mean. ;)

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  7. omfoo555

omfoo555 New Member

GPU:
    Model
    Miradore or Soti would be the ones I would look at. Samsung own MDM works quite well, but I seem to recall the automatic email config was only Office365, and if you are using that, then Intune is the way to go.

8. moriischristian

moriischristian New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660s
    There are a few different options you can consider for managing multiple Android devices within your family:

1. AirDroid: This is a free app that allows you to remotely manage and control your Android devices from your computer. It has features for provisioning new devices, tracking and wiping lost or stolen devices, and configuring active devices remotely.

2. Managed Google Play: This is a service from Google that allows you to manage and distribute apps to Android devices in your organization. It has features for provisioning new devices, tracking and wiping lost or stolen devices, and configuring active devices remotely. However, you mentioned that you don't want to use any Google apps, so this option may not work for you.

3. Microsoft Intune: This is a mobile device management (MDM) solution from Microsoft that allows you to manage and secure devices in your organization. It has features for provisioning new devices, tracking and wiping lost or stolen devices, configuring active devices remotely, and enforcing various settings. It also can integrate with your MS Active Directory. You can use it with a small 1-time fee or on a subscription basis.

4. OpenMDM: This is an open-source solution for mobile device management. It includes many of the features you're looking for, such as provisioning, remote management, and security. However, it may be more difficult to set up and maintain compared to the other options and you may need to put in some effort to understand the solution.
    These are a few of the options that you can consider for managing your family's Android devices. Depending on your specific requirements and technical expertise, one solution may be a better fit for you than the others.

386SX likes this.
  9. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Managed Google Play is out of question as I hate Google and its business practices.

Microsoft InTune afaik is available only with an MS365 plan or an AAD plan. I may be wrong, but I wasn't able to find a free option.

AirDroid sounded nice, but after some reading it seems the features I need seem to be premium features for which I'd have to pay for.

So I'll dig into OpenMDM. I read a bit on github and stuff, seems I will have to provide LDAP to all the mobile users. Maybe I can work my way around that somehow ...

Thanks for your reply nevertheless and welcome to G3d. :)