Android ICS 4.0 installbase still very small

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 4, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Verizon is constantly looking for ways to screw over customers.....for me, hearing about that was just the last straw. I jumped to Sprint since they still have unlimited data.

2. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Funnily enough my device, an original Xperia arc, received the official 4.0.4 update just a few hours after my first post in this thread. :p

Sony is pretty good with the update speed too, updates are rolling out for all of the 2011 Xperia line (except the Xperia Play) as I'm typing this and the previously updated devices (Xperia arc S and Xperia Ray IIRC) are getting 4.0.4 at the same time.

On the other hand Sony represents such a small segment of the Android user base, except in northern Europe and Japan I'd imagine, so it's not likely to be noticed much.

3. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    sadly, being stuck on a Samsung Galaxy W, the most i'll get is the value pack update instead of the ICS. A shame really, since I was looking forward to trying out ICS

4. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    My HTC Sensation been running on ICS 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6 since March 28 (bought it unlocked, never going to buy mobile from carrier anymore). I believe Sensation XE already updated to ICS too. There are some reports Sensation XL start receiving ICS update (in Netherland if memory serves right), and they've confirmed ICS OTA update for Desire series (except original Desire) and EVO 3D.

Eventhough it's only 7%, I think it's still better than nothing. Google need to push manufacturers to speed up the update process.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Well at least you guys can update your phone, I'll be honest I haven't 'tried' that hard to update my phone but the other day I finally got round to installing the Kies software for my Galaxy S Plus, after much updating and faffing I final;ly got round to connecting my phone only for it to point blank refuse to install the drivers and find the phone.

I just face palm'd and uninstalled the whole lot. Samsung phone using Samsung's own software off Samsung's website and it doesn't work. I seriously thought these kind of issues were the sort of thing that got done away with 5 years ago!

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I downloaded ICS earlier tonight and tbh it's really annoying. It changed the font to some queer blocky type text ( gothic? )and it changed the colour setting. Before it was vivid and now all the colours look washed out, don't know whether I have to configure the gamm or something to compensate for it now...

Honestly all it did was install a bunch of spam apps and automatically made it so they could access my personal information.

I didn't gain 1 useful feature with the update.

7. orac2

orac2 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC/PE
    bought my Galaxy Note unlocked,so rooted it and waited for ICS in the UK.........Yawwwn.

yesterday i flashed ICS 4.03 RocketRom V3 on the Note and what a difference in performance!.

all details regarding the install are available on the XDA website,worth a look guys ;)

http://www.xda-developers.com/

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Blocky type text???

This is how ICS should look like:
    [​IMG]

I'm running CyberGR|Mod but it's based off stock Android (and was mixed with CM9 and AOKP) so this is the stock Roboto font that came with ICS.

deltatux

9. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    [​IMG]

Technically I don't think the official version is out for my phone till the end of this month so I've been using a leak :p.

So it all depends on the maker of the device if they're going to release an update, with phones they have to go through the phone company if they wish to release an OTA update.

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

Ohh they are..I've got the new Razr Maxx and I know it works great on it if you root and load but I don't want to go that route. Leaked info were stated to have had the update pushed from Verizon at the end of May but here it is June 5th and I've yet to see it!

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    More than likely they are adding their bloatware to ICS. That's why I went with the Galaxy Nexus. I was told the updates will be coming directly from Google. Although I wont be doing any OTA, because once I get a chance, this phone is getting a custom rom put on it. There is just so many to choose from, ecpecially for this phone.

12. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    Using ICS on my HD2 and its great.

Also for manufacturers i doubt they will release for low profile phones (maybe for some of them which are popular enough). They would rather sell the new phones with ICS instead of upgrading their older models. Probably doing it for pushing sales.