Android ICS 4.0 installbase still very small

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Android 4.0 hasn't captured a lot of marketshare since it was launched six months ago reports neowin. Just 7.1 percent of all Android devices run the latest versions of the platform while roughly 70...

More...

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Lol, that 7.1% is probably the people using the Galazy Nexus. Every other manufacturer is taking their sweet ass time rolling out the updates.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    still waiting for the update for my xperia s

4. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I dont expect all phones to get ICS. Some of them had issues running 2.3x

5. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    How can people still be surprised by this?

Non-Nexus manufacturers only get access to the code once it's released to the public. Once they do they have to adapt drivers for all their own hardware (GPU, sensors, camera and whatnot), backport their own customizations and software additions, test it and then get certification from who knows how many organizations for worldwide devices.

Sony (then SE) posted a working ICS formware back in November and it's only now starting to roll out to a majority of their devices, mostly due to the certification process.

Uptake is going to accelerate rapidly once manufacturers have cleared that particular hurdle.

It was the same thing with 2.3 and 2.2, I don't know why people are surprised (or seemingly offended) by this.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Both my Nexus S and ASUS Transformer Pad Prime are running Android 4.0.x. The issue is that manufacturers are really taking their sweet time rolling out ICS. It's taking them a lot longer than they did during the Gingerbread rollout.

It's quite sad actually, but usually CM9 will be able to fix that or any custom ROM usually would do for those who don't have ICS yet.

deltatux

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Samsung Galaxy S2 and Note are both running it.

My HP Touchpad is running it.

8. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

I know. That's why I said every other manufacturer. Seems Samsung is the only one who is on the ball with getting updates out the door in a timely manner.

9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    yeah, i'm a little pissed i jumped the gun getting a new droid 4, even though it's a great phone i was hoping for the ICS update pretty soon. Nothing that can be done about it though. maybe they'll just skip 4.0 and go to 5.0 JellyBean

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    This is why I'm really glad for the dev community for android devices. I've had ics on my Atrix for... gosh I dont even know how long now. Motorola isnt planning to put ics out for my phone for another half of a year, maybe longer. The only issue I have to deal with is no video recording.

11. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Yeah I'm on an LG Optimus Black that I got from work and I'm still waiting for an ICS release.

12. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    In the United States is carriers cockblocking users from updates. It took Verizon 3 ****ing months to roll out 4.0.4 for the LTE Galaxy Nexus.

As for me, Sprint SGS2. Still no official timetable for 4.0, installed a custom ROM in the meantime.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Verizon is still blocking ICS updates on several phones that are capable of running it....at least from information I have.

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    HTC seems to be on the ball too, they already released it on the Sensation line and more coming soon. The Desire series is getting it sometime this summer as HTC has committed to such a release.

deltatux

15. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    It is because ICS allows users to disable the carrier installed bloatware.:puke2:

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Verizon is also going to be killing unlimited data plans for customers that upgrade their phones.....so, blocking ICS updates for customers that "just have to have it" will convince some to upgrade their phones, thus voiding their unlimited data plans. Verizon Wireless is a dishonest company....plain and simple. Glad I ditched them last month.

17. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If you already have the unlimited data plan when it's time to upgrade after the fact, you can keep it if you pay full price for the phone. That's what I was told today when I got my upgrade. So I'm still good until 2014, then I'll jump ship to someone else.

18. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    if ur a verizon user just download the ICS update manually if u know where to look

19. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    There are also people like me who use a custom Android 4.0/ICS ROM. And we're more people than the general public is aware.

In my case it's CyanogenMod 9.0 / FXP122 on an Xperia Arc S.
    There are loads of people using unofficial versions of ICS, like CyanogenMod, MIUI, Arconium ICS, etc.

20. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    Yeah I'm on AOKP. Ain't no carrier blocking me from getting my ICS sexiness.