Android 5.0 Lollipop

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by DerSchniffles, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What settings have you got location set to?

High accuracy uses GPS, WiFi and Mobile Data, you could try disabling Location / change it to power saving or GPS only and see if that helps

If it does, see if you can work out which app is using location constantly

If you upgraded from KK to LP, it is highly recommended to factory reset the phone, KK leaves behind buggy rubbish files that cause all sorts of problems, I reset mine and have had next to no issues with it since

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    KK leaves Dalvik cache, which can cause issues with ART.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I said screw it and did a full wipe, factory reset, all fresh. It changed nothing, Wifi was still locked on no matter what settings I used... and now without changing any settings at all it magically turns off properly and is no longer sucking the life out of the battery. I literally changed no settings at all.

Keep in mind that I am using the stock 5.0 ROM, nothing custom, and it's this insanely buggy.

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The factory reset will likely have sorted the battery life out, it has for just about everyone with that problem on Lollipop after upgrading from KK

Weird about the WiFi though, there are apps that disable all data connections when you turn the screen off, I`ll see if I can find one a few people have recommended

EDIT
    Can't find the exact one, but there are apps like this that do the same job
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ajas.screenoffwifioff

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

5. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Thanks you very much for this post. I've flashed the Polish rom using Odin with this guide. Working fine. Doing a factory reset and it is working fine. :)

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Not only that. Knox isn't tripped lol. :)

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, KNOX only gets tripped when you flash something not signed by Samsung, such as custom recovery / ROM etc

If you flash a stock Samsung ROM, KNOX remains 0x0 :)

I got sick of waiting for a Lollipop root method that didn't involve dowgrading first, so I just tripped KNOX and rooted it with CF Auto Root

Turns out, in the EU, warranty is not voided by tripping KNOX, they would have to prove that the damage to the phone was caused by the user first, and if it's hardware faults, that wouldn't happen by rooting / custom whatever, so warranty would still have to be honoured

See here
    https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  9. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    On my phone (kitkat) the same WiFi problem is caused by the setting below the one in the red box, the "Always allow scanning"

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Ahh yes, the bloody Unified Deamon(EUR) battery drain bug returned (GPS constantly running). After installing the Polish official rom, my beautiful phone was sucked dry within an hour. Disabling resolved it and factory resetted it.

And I was thinking it was fixed ages ago. I like Lollipop, but I get the feeling KK was more stable. You can also partly blame ART for that.

EDIT:
    I remember having the same stupid battery drain issue with my previous Galaxy Nexus with the stock 4.3 ROM. Lucky for me Google patched it later. Solution was also disabling Unified Deamon(EUR). Seriously Google? :bang:

EDIT2:
    Ok, after 2 days somehow the rom has settled itself. Even Unified Deamon isn't dragging my phone down anymore (somehow). I really like the improvements and silent mode is back in the pulldown menu. I notice a substantial increase in battery life. Normally it would be around 50% when I put it on life support again when going to bed, but now it is around 70%. :banana:

I'm glad I flashed it with the Polish rom.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015