Android 5.0 Lollipop

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by DerSchniffles, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ahhh... can you not go back with Odin to a KK stock??

2. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    How the hell does this forum still not have tapatalk compatibility? Lol. Anyways, I have always rooted my phones and put roms on them, so I understand the risk. Can I still push the update via Odin /adb? I guess it would be smarter to just wait for the actual update as it is for sure coming in the next month. Just don't want to mess anything up that can't be undone.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Probably could, there are plenty of people doing exactly that on XDA S5 forums, but I like LP, not really having any issues with it other than a couple of small annoyances, like default apps not remaining default, nothing that makes me want to go back to KK though

As nice as root would be, I think I'd miss LP

But the whole Bootloader thing is confusing, there are articles saying once you move to a KNOX enabled BL, such as LP gives you, returning back to a non KNOX ROM will cause problems / downgrading the BL is gonna trip KNOX / not work

Difficult to get a straight answer exactly what will happen, and if I'm gonna take that chance, I might as well just root and custom recovery LP without wiping the whole phone

Ads suck, but Im ok to wait for now (Very unlike me, must be getting old) :D

If there is a ROM you want on sammobile for your model phone, then yea you can flash it with ODIN, but it will wipe your phone

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

5. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    u***305;nbelivable. when i click for PDA in odin it linked me another folder which i used for another phone i, was trying it. i used correct rom now booted. and supersu is in the OS. lets see if rooted correctly. thanx man.

7. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :) The fun of Android :D

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Everything is fine but yet again lolipop os can't be xposed and nothing to do with root acess I just installed adblock for android that's all no control on anything from xposed

9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    xposed is working on some lollipop roms now.... have a look on XDA...

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    I'm having a Note 3 myself (unbranded, stock 4.4.2, NL rom, PHN). Sammobile only shows the branded VF version for The Netherlands. No thanks for that.
    The only unbranded stock one atm is the Polish one (XEO).

Now my worry is tripping Knox when using Odin. Right now it is 0x0 and I've seen peeps tripping Knox with Odin. How safe is it to flash the Polish version? Will it screw over Knox?

I could wait until the official OTA/KIES update arrives for PHN, but it seems Samsung is slow with the rest of the regions.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    KNOX is only tripped if you flash a non signed Samsung ROM / recovery etc, so if you stick to sammobile ROMs / stock samsung ROMs it wont trip KNOX

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Can I ask somebody Pls advice me a launcher for s5 and a theme kit for it?

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    thanx man. i got my s5 back and put official samsung extra battery pack. awesome with 5.0 . but need a fresh OS like theme. i will check what u suggested thanx.

15. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    5.1 is out and Canadian Galaxy S5 users just got 5.0. -_-' Thanks Samdung.

To avoid any issues with the nonsense that is the S5 I decided to use either stock or near stock ROMs (minus the bloat). So after bricking my phone (still unsure how it happened) I eventually got 5.0 installed and everything sorted out... and now photos in low light are absolutely intolerable crap. The camera was like half the reason I was avoiding custom ROMs, there were reports of the camera going derp, but with the stock 5.0 ROM it goes full derp anyway.

Oh well, if anyone has a suggestion for a custom ROM for the S5 based on 5.1 let me know.

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't think there are any 5.1 ROMs for the S5 yet, 5.1 was only released yesterday afaik? Will take a while to port Id think

Probably best to flash back to KK with ODIN until 5.1 arrives if you're having problems with 5.0 on your S5

Im running 5.0 on mine and I seem to be one of the few without any major issues, in fact other than not having root yet (Thanks KNOX), since the last update to 5.0, I don't think I have any issues now, battery life is fine too

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It appears to be receiving a wifi and data signal even while those are off, it shows it in the battery usage. Is this normal for for 5.0 or is there a way to turn it off?

Previously the reason wifi always showed as on even while off was the "let Google spy on you even while wifi is off" option tucked away in the settings. Turning that off fixed the issue. But that's off this time around. In 13 hours of NOT being used most of the that time the battery has dropped to 89%. While idle when it was running 4.4 it would previously use only 1% in 8 hours.

Also it's super annoying with push notifications that CAN'T be closed that are stuck there forever. I have background data restricted so it gives TWO push notifications permanently for that, one to say general power savings is on (the only option in it being data restriction) and one to say data restriction is on. I went into their menus to disable their push notifications... greyed out. **** you Google.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  19. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The notifications thing is annoying a lot of people and apparently is going to be addressed in 5.1

The WiFi staying on could be this setting

[​IMG]

Settings > WiFi > 3 dots menu top right > Advanced

A lot of people also had WiFi disconnecting all the time, which turned out to be the "Smart Network Switch" button in WiFi settings

Disable that and WiFi becomes solid again - it's meant to switch between Data and WiFi to keep the best connection at all times, but it does the opposite and constantly switches you between the two even when WiFi signal strength is fine, and with it disabled, it will still switch to Data when you're out of range of your wifi anyway, so it's pretty pointless

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    That's off and previously it made no difference either, it was just the scanning for wifi setting which kept it draining.

Data is also disabled, yet both of them show in the battery chart as if they're draining power. The only gaps they ever have is if I shut off the phone so I'm pretty sure they are taking power, and a notable amount, the LTE receiver seems to take far more than the Wifi.

So far this has been unbelievably buggy, the most buggy version of Android I've ever used and I used nightly builds of Cyanogen on my Galaxy Nexus for the longest time. Random program crashes up the wazoo and sometimes my phone just freezes on boot-up. It also borked and bricked for seemingly no reason the first time I flashed it with 5.0 despite Odin reporting that everything went well.

I'm guessing the program crashes being so frequent is due to their switch to ART from Dalvik.