Android 5.0 Lollipop

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by DerSchniffles, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah ok, I guess being in the UK, all the variants we own will be the international versions, I know my S5 is

But, if it's samsung not patching bugs, XDA should have managed, that's where I turned when ASUS failed to fix the TF101 after about 7 failed patches which made it worse and worse and worse until they decided to just drop support and leave us with a paperweight

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Support for phones on T-Mobile by Samsung is horrendous in my experience. We either have to buy "Google Play Edition" phones, or deal with "bugs" that Samsung will never patch.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    All I can say is that I haven't had any troubles with my phone and the lollipop update so far. No freezes or app crashes, so I'm quite confident in it. It may only be my third android phone, but so far I never had any substantial trouble...

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    Ive always had problems with Samsung phones but they always seem to fix themselves over a day or so.. For example- I just got my Note 4 a couple weeks ago and in the first 3 days I had about 3 random reboots. Have not had one since, it just stopped happening and now all is well. Im on AT&T. My last phone was a Galaxy S4 on Sprint and it worked great for the most part, but had some issues lagging really bad and a few restarts later, all was well. Not really sure what to make of it, it just seems like TouchWiz is really heavy and unfortunately, Android phones tend to get loaded up with bloatware.

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Updated my Galaxy S5 to lollipop last weekend and it was running horribly, really sluggish and unresponsive. Received another 300mb update yesterday labelled 'performance optimisations', it's finally running as I would expect and I'm liking it so far.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    G900F ?

Im not getting any OTA updates available, gonna check KIES

How did you get the update ?

EDIT - Nope, nothing on KIES either

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Yep G900F and it was OTA.

I'm assuming it's a carrier specific update because my Android version number is still 5.0.

I'm with O2.

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exactly the same, G900F on O2, nothing available OTA for me, maybe I got it when I updated to Lollipop, I used KIES to update as nothing was available OTA for that either, but that was back around the 16th of Jan

Which colour did you choose? I went with White

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I did both updates OTA, first one was 900mb, second was 300mb, OTA updates are usually slower to arrive compared to using KIES so it's possible yours was updated all in one go.

I went with the blue one myself :)

EDIT: Build number on mine is LRX21T.G900FXXU1BOA3 if that helps.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same build number, so I guess KIES did mine all at once, OTA come in smaller segments maybe to save room on the phone during the update or something

I liked the look of the blue, but fancied something lighter this time, I usually go for black phones :)

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol. Reason being they were all Samsung. :D

Try another brand such as Sony, HTC or Motorola. I've owned several Samsung Android devices in the past. Whilst I was satisfied there were some issues here and there.

Last year I moved to Sony and glad I did. The user interface and overall use of the phone was better and even after using a custom rom, the phone is very stable...

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Support for any carrier branded Samsung device are awful in general. I've had the Galaxy s3, and s4 that's AT&T branded and they have had issues galore on Touchwiz. With both of them, I took Touchwiz off and both went Cyanogenmod and KTweaker kernels on both. My S4 runs Lolipop, and my S3 runs Kitkat. Both are amazing.

The Verizon S5 just had their Lolipop update pushed recently, and is having tons of stability problems.

You even said it, your wife's n5 isn't having problems. =]

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The N4 and N5 are LG phones.

I've already told the wife that I won't be buying anything else carrying a Scamsung logo after getting ripped off by them a few months back. I bought one of their cable boxes when they were finally released. Then Scamsung released a firmware update specifically to break them. I went and bought a second box, and as soon as it was permitted to download the firmware update, it stopped functioning. Scamsung blames my cable provider for their device not being functional after a firmware update. They refused any level to support for the box. I'm on my last Scamsung device now, which is a blu-ray player. Every time it gets a firmware update, it becomes less functional. It'll be getting replaced soon.

The N5 is unstable as hell.

My N4 is the stable one. It rarely gets used though as I dislike Lollipop. I can boot, turn off and boot again on my Lumia 635....in the time it takes my N4 to boot once now.

I've offered to flash the N5 back to kitkat, but she just wants a new phone now. Told her it has to be Nokia, LG or Sony..... Last HTC phone I had, got RMA'd 3 times in 9 months cuz it kept blowing speakers.

I'm hoping to hold onto my 635 until Ubuntu Touch comes to the US.....if it ever does. Might try to flash the N4 to Ubuntu.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You could go a step further with 'Scamscum'

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I paid $100 a piece for the cable boxes, just to have them intentionally bricked by Scamsung. When I called for support, they transferred me around departments until I demanded to talk to a manager, at which time they just hung up on me. They are the worst company I've ever dealt with. The only Scamsung branded device I have left is a blu-ray player and it may get replaced by a Sony player that has a broken eject button. (there's an eject button on the remote, so no big deal really). I've had 3 Scamsung blu-ray players over the last 6 years, and each has started to have "issues" after a year....and the issues get progressively worse with every firmware update. My last one got to the point where it wouldn't play blu-ray discs at all, which resulted in the purchase of the Sony unit. At this point, I'm sure it's part of Scamsung's business plan to intentionally brick products through firmware updates to force "upgrades"..... I believe the only reason we don't see this behavior with smartphones, is because of the carriers.

But, that's got nothing to do with this thread, so I'll stop there....

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    lol, currently on a Nexus 5 seems good with a custom ROM.
    Hopefully 5.1 will sort out the apps randomly closing

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    For a blu-ray player I'd go with Sony or Pioneer, cannot go wrong with either...

As for a new phone, Nokia, LG or Sony are a great choice with many models to choose from.

I've been on 5.0 Lollipop for several months now and there is no going back to Kitkat. Kitkat was great but Lollipop has been improved in every possible way.

Visually, looks, interface, performance, stability and battery life have all been improved. I'm using the Sony Xperia Z Ultra.

Some images of home screen/layout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Judging by my wife's statements, I'd say stability was a step backwards. All I hear at night is her bitching about her phone. I'm sure Google will get it sorted, but I never heard this many complaints from her over Kitkat.

Personally, I'm a fan of LG phones. Best phones I've ever owned have all been LG until now. Nokia is winning me over though.

The Sony blu-ray player will probably get hooked back up tonight if I can find it. She doesn't care about the broken eject button and she's the only one that uses it anyway.

19. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I really would advise to factory reset her phone if she updated to LP over KK

20. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    It's strange how everyone has a different experience. Besides the aforementioned Samsung problems, I've been pretty happy with the experience even though this is only my second Samsung phone.
    LG on the other hand....I had a tablet that NEVER got any updates and they refused to give the ICS update.....horrible horrible. Then I had a LG media box that every update made everything worse and its STILL broken (tried to put it on the tv in the bedroom for the Mrs.) and super buggy AND stupid slow. The only LG product I have ever had that did not have problems was a TV that I bought years ago.

And still no Lollipop update :bang: