Android 5.0 Lollipop

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by DerSchniffles, Feb 6, 2015.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    Anyone get it yet? Apparently it dropped on Galaxy S5's in Russia last week and it just started rolling out for S5's in America and get this, Note 3's....not Note 4's... on Verizon and Sprint as of yesterday.....apparently the Note 4's are getting 5.0.1 when it drops in the next few weeks. Not sure of other devices getting it yet (besides nexus devices that have had it for a while). Which is killing me because I have the Note 4 and my gf has the S5 and she will get it before I do haha BLASPHEMY!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I was promised lollipop for my smartphone in the first trimester so i´m still waiting. Really happy for it, looks so nice and ART is such a needed implementation. woot!

3. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti SLI
    Got lollipop 5.01 on my HTC One M8 on Wednesday, I am on EE

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have been running it on my G3 for around a month or so. Haven't run into any issues as of yet.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've been running it on my S4, I'm in love with Material design.

There's a touchwiz build for it now but don't know if I'm gonna try it out. The S4 is a backup anyway.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Updated my S5 to it about 3 weeks ago, first day I got the phone, so didn't give myself a chance to compare it to KitKat first, but after a factory reset, freezing a few bloatware apps, and a few full charge cycles, Im liking it

7. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Cyanogenmod ftw!

Been running CM12 since some brave soul got it to boot on the G3 and I haven't missed LG's own rom. It's still quite barebones though.

8. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    been running on my S4 for a while now too.... Love it, so much faster and the battery love is so much better.... And they are still refining it, so it should be bleazing in a few months time..... cant wait to run it on my S6.......

9. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have it on my Nexus 7 tablet. I don't have a Smartphone. My cell phone just does calls and texts and has no browser, email, or camera at all. I get it totally free for 250 minutes/month though so it's fine. I only make or get less than 5 calls a month.

On the tablet, it boots faster and better than KitKat did and runs very smoothly. The battery life is not improved at all however. If anything, the battery drains a little faster. It really did before I got the 5.0.2 update. Now it seems better.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    Im so jelly....I really want to mess around with the material design and big updates are always fun. Now its just a waiting game, right StewieTech? ;)

Seems like any info I can get just says "very soon" which is not good enough haha.

I did watch a couple videos of Samsung's TouchWiz with 5.0 and it does look nice. It still looks very touchwizzy though, I was kinda hoping they would redo touchwiz a bit more for 5.0 but I will hold my opinions until I get it.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I installed NOVA Launcher straight away, TouchWiz is cr4p and awkward and limited

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  13. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I got it for my EE HTC One M8 last Sunday morning. So far I have not been that blown away by it as beyond the notifications/settings pull down it really doesn't feel or look that much different in my opinion. That's mostly because HTC have not updated Sense; it is still running version 6.0 so the icons are identical (i.e. not using material design).

I did briefly try the Google Now launcher and that does give a more vanilla Android Lollipop experience but I got annoyed at the lack of a clock/weather widget (the HTC one is disabled in this mode) on the Home screen so switched back. It needs Sense updating in my experience to give it more of the look that you get on Google devices.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Bought a Nexus 5 and I'm running Lollipop since it's out. Can't complain much, the only thing is you need to keep your synchronisation options in check or it'll eat away your battery life. That is, if you're a user who's battery lasts longer than 18 hours, like me ;)

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My wife's N5 has been unstable as hell since being updated to Lollipop. Apps constantly freeze. She gets low memory warnings, apps randomly closing... It's just been ridiculous. My N4 was manually flashed and just became irritating as hell to use, but functions properly as far as I can tell.

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Everyone and his dog, including myself, and also Samsung support (For the galaxy S5) suggest factory resetting after updating to Lollipop, apparently there are a load of rubbish files left over from KK that cause endless issues and bad battery life

Was happening to my S5, reset it, problems solved - PITA I know, but as we all know from Windows, upgrades are notoriously buggy, same apparently applies to phones

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    She's just holding out until upgrade time now. She's tired of the phone. She's on her 5th Android phone, and they've all been "buggy". Galaxy Exhibit, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, N4, N5.....

19. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Strange, my Mum has the S2, nephew has the S3, brother the S4, and me the S5 and none complain of any weird bugginess other than problems after upgrades which the reset fixes (Apart from the S2 screen which has gone a weird blue with lines)

Maybe check out a few custom ROMs from XDA for it?

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    There are 4 versions of the S3. A CDMA version and 3 GSM variants. There's the international S3, the AT&T specific S3 and the T-Mobile specific S3. The T-Mobile Galaxy S3 has "bugs" that were fixed in every other version of the phone. For some reason, Samsung has refused to patch the issues for the T-Mobile S3. Since we're with T-Mobile, she got stuck with the T-Mobile S3 and all the "bugs" that Samsung refused to patch.